The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
babies electricity shape western food salt face cape Dimilin show plants dropsy dealers plant small 2011 filter pumps foam growth baytril pond bubble Bead clinofish SPOTS
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Sick Fish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
cam0

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 9:50 am

LOL.

Koi don't mind being in the same pond as those giant gold fish ?

Do they eat koi food too ?
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 10:20 am

wayneb wrote:
Quote :
Cleaned wound with HP and added salt

Is that HP Sauce... like in from the UK? I prefer All Gold Tomoto sauce and mayo with salt and vinigar on my fish. lol!

Good one Wayne Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 5:59 pm

wayneb wrote:
Quote :
Cleaned wound with HP and added salt

Is that HP Sauce... like in from the UK? I prefer All Gold Tomoto sauce and mayo with salt and vinigar on my fish. lol!

Wayne

We in the Free State can’t afford eating our Koi with Tomato sauce and Mayo. For the time been we have to stick to steak / egg and chips lol!
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 5:40 am

One of my fish started to look distressed and I added 90g of Potassium Permanganate to my pond (30000L but maybe slightly larger due to flower pond and other variables)
Water stayed pink after 2 hours and fish did not jump or looked uncomfortable, then my girlfriend went to sleep since it was cold in Bloem and about 11pm

My question is what amount of Hydrogen Peroxide and what strength should be added when?
If you search the internet they come up with 0.3%, 5% and 40% and the amount is unclear. I have a 40% solution (500ml)This stuff is potent and will even remove your skin, so do I need to add the HP at all, or under what conditions?
Will it not be better to use a weaker solution? 40% seems a bit strong and to dilute it will be a nightmare
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 10:19 am

1 Do I need to turn the UV's off during treatment?
2 Is 4 treatment 2 days apart the correct prosedure?
3 20% water replacement after every treatment?
4 HP only to be added if water stays pink after 6hours?
5 Do I need to add HP when I finish the treatment or only a
water replacement?
6 Is it wise to use 75ml of 40% HP or should I rather return it
and get 750ml of 3% HP
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 10:35 am

Try not to use HP where possible. It is bad for water quality. I also use to use it until i found out that its apparently bad for water quality.

When the water goes orangy - that is a sign that the PP is working out.

I keep HP handy just incase for emergencies but try not to use it. Keep the UV off during treatments.

I terminate my treatments with the use of the UV.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 4:32 pm

Thanks Wayne

The water was light brown this morning. Does that mean I must add PP again, or should I wait 2days and replace some water and then add PP again?
Is 4 treatments recommended, and should I then add Bio booster to get the filter system back to normal faster?
I did not bypass the 4000L filter as I believe I need to get rid of all the baddies in the pond.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 6:17 pm

I will recommend waiting 2-3 days between treatments. Keep in mind that PP can damage the gills of the koi.

I also have/had a bacterial problem in my pond and have resorted to PP. I have done 8 treatments of PP.

The first 5 was done 2 days apart and the other 3 treatments was done 7 days apart but i waited 2 weeks between the first 5 treatments and the other 3. So far it looks like i am winning the battle.

After the PP treatment you can do a 10%-20% water change for everyday for 2 days ...thats what i do.

I have also unpacked all my filters and media including the oyster shells and then i PP'd it all sepeartely with strong dose. In other words i am going to have a virgin pond.

I have also cut back the feeding to twice a week as my filter is ofcourse not up and running yet. The best way to boost the filter that i know of is with Bao Bio Clear.

I also feed pellets with olive oil , garlic and lots of honey to try and boost the imune system o the koi.

My koi that have been affected are in qt with .06% salt and methelyne blue anti-bacterial. Almost all of them have recovered. I must add that i PP dipped each one individually before going into the qt and dipped them 3 times afterwards - weekly. 1g PP for 10l of water. For 5 minutes. I really think this played a big role as the koi in the qt recovered while some in the main pond was still being affected by the bacteria while i was doing the PP treatments on the pond.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 7:58 pm

Follow up on my mad Koi with lambada swimming pattern. Fish still alive ( problems started in April) and the swimming pattern never became better at all but the last couple of weeks it started looking like this:

Sick Fish - Page 4 Madmax

‘S’ body shape. What can this be?? Is it time to put it to sleep?? (I won’t be popular at home)
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 8:41 pm

wayneb wrote:
My koi that have been affected are in qt with .06% salt and methelyne blue anti-bacterial. Almost all of them have recovered. I must add that i PP dipped each one individually before going into the qt and dipped them 3 times afterwards - weekly. 1g PP for 10l of water. For 5 minutes. I really think this played a big role as the koi in the qt recovered while some in the main pond was still being affected by the bacteria while i was doing the PP treatments on the pond.

hahahaha, well since my last post i basicly lost all my koi due to ulcer disease caused by this bacteria i had. In the end i could not keep the bacteria under control. There was a patch where it did seem to go better but when the "real" winter weather hit in August none of the anti-biotics or water treatments had any effect on their wonunds and it became worse slowly. Eugen also came over the one saterday and helped my inject all the koi and treat their wounds. My wife and i treated 4 kois everyday, Anethetise, baytril injection, topical treatment, release....

According to the pathology tests Baytril was the only anti-biotic that "may" work....That was the wording on the report. I cant remember the exact bacteria name - il have to go and look for it but it was family of "Pseudomonas" apparently this bacteria has a hardend cell wall that makes it dificult to get rid of. It also excretes a "slime" coat to protect itself. The anti-biotic also does not have an direct affect on the bacteria.

Of 24 koi i have 4 left. Amongst the fatalities my prized danichi kohaku and Isa Kindai Showa. I battled with this since April but they all started falling over quickly in September - October.

Christy from Cape Koi tried to save the last 12 or so in september by quarinting them at his facilities but in the end only 6 survived, only 4 being worth keeping.

This is a terrible thing to go through. Im basicly starting from scratch now. My favourite and first koi that i bought a shiro was also one of the victems.

I've treated my pond with 1kg of PP and 1kg of Virkon S. I also replaced 50% of the water after all the treatments.

This almost made me "gooi dam toe" like oom bobby says. So now im back to square one....32 000 liter pond with 4 koi in it biggest being 50cm. Atleast i have my Omosako shiro utsuri still, christy saved him just as he started to be affected. Luckily he has no scars at all. - see avatar.

Quote :
S’ body shape. What can this be?? Is it time to put it to sleep?? (I won’t be popular at home)

Marius, il put the koi down if i where you. Its not going to get any better and must be degrading the look of your other koi and pond. If it does not bother you and he eats ok then keep him but in my books a ugly koi eats the same amount of food as a good lookin one, so rather only keep good looking kois.

Last edited by wayneb on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 7:33 am

I had a lot of people contacting me this Spring about ulcers and bacterial problems, wonder why it was so bad this year.

Sorry to hear about your losses Wayne.
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 7:35 am

Marius, waneer kom jy kuier boet?
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 8:16 am

Wayne wrote:
This is a terrible thing to go through. Im basicly starting from scratch now. My favourite and first koi that i bought a shiro was also one of the victems.

Hi Wayne, I see you have come out of the closet Embarassed

Its good for the sole to open up about this tragic ordeal for all hobbyist to learn from. The WCKC and I am sure all Koi keepers wish you well with your Koi and sincerely hope that you can put this behind as a bad experience and move forward to win more awards.

On the positive side, I really like your new Avatar, the previous one scared the shits out of my grandchild. Basketball

Marius, Clearly you are very passionate about Koi and an asset to the Koi hobby. You have a big second pond for a QT, separate all possible problem Koi to the QT and protect your healthy Koi. What I remember from earlier post is that you have created 2 independent systems that would be a great help from the water perspective. You have an added problem being away from home a lot and are forced into quick decisions when at home, I wish you the best and healthy Koi. Whenever you visit Cape Town the WCKC members would love to meet you.
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 9:05 am

Dankie Bobby

Gelukkig geen gesondheids probleme gehad die laaste 3maande nie. Almal lyk baie gesond en vreet mens uit die huis uit. Dit is maar net hierdie 1 Koi wat net nie wil vrek nie. In Maart het dit snaaks begin swem en le die heeltyd op die bodem. Hy het oor die laaste paar weke die skewe rug / stert ontwikkel. Weet nie wat hy eet nie en as hy opkom vir kos hap hy alles mis. So half mal die meeste van die tyd. Hy is egter deel van die familie so dit nie maklik om hom slaappille te voer nie.

QT werk pragtig en so paar klein vis daarin. Hopelik kan ek binne die volgende jaar of so beter vis in dam he. Het party van bestaande vis al 2-3jaar maar is beslis nie skou gehalte nie, daarom dat ek dit nou weggee vandat ek oortuig is dat daar nie health issues is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick Fish   Sick Fish - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sick Fish

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4