The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
cape skin SPOTS Dimilin salt shape electricity show growth dealers pumps western dropsy food plant foam bubble filter 2011 baytril face pond Bead babies plants white
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Algae problem - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Algae problem - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Algae problem - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Algae problem - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Algae problem - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Algae problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
brendan

Algae problem - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi, where can I get barley straw in the gauteng area? It doesn't seem easy to find?
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 8:11 pm

Hi Brendan

Yes unfortunately barley straw is like gold up here, it is grown in the eastern province and is only available from Servaas de Kok. I will look up his contact details or talk to him next week when I am in CapeTown, if you like.
Back to top Go down
brendan

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 7:50 am

Thanks neville, that would be great.Is this stuff expensive or not?
Back to top Go down
brendan

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:31 pm

I got a place in the cape called aquanet who sells it and can deliver. I think I will maybe order some.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:38 pm

great Brendan let us know the cost please, that is Servaas de Kok's place if I am correct
Back to top Go down
brendan

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 8:44 am

The cost is R240 for 3kg. and delivery is R45
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 10:42 am

At that price you might aswell get a UV light...Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi,

I agree with Wayne.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi Brendan

3 Kg will go a long way I used it a while back for some string algae and have had no problems since, my Uv's are not switched on. This stuff is natural and works for a long period.
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi,

Just browsing through this thread.

Some questions and some answers -

If algae in a pond is due to high levels of nitrates from over feeding where does the algae in a swimming pool come from when there are no fish and no feeding?

Does a UV light inhibit the growth of suspended single cell algae AND stringy algae on the walls or just the suspended single cell algae? IF a UV light can only affect the cells of algae passing through it - the suspended single cell algae - then a UV light is useless for the stringy algae.

A 3kg bag/bail of barley straw is a lot of barley straw and will last a koi keeper with a 20,000 litre pond about 2 years.

It how you use the barley straw that is important.

Barley straw releases an enzyme similar to hydrogen peroxide - i. e. a highly reactive molecule. Barley straw does not release hydrogen peroxide. This inhibits the growth of algae - it does not kill the algae like an algaecide will.

I have also thought about adding hydrogen peroxide in place of barley straw but I decided against it. Barley straw bio-degrades slowly and therefore adds this enzyme slowly and more importantly continuously to the pond water. Just adding a few ml of hydrogen peroxide will work for a very short time but then the algae just continues to grow. You need to attack it slowly and continuously to prevent it from growing.

I have also begun to suspect that once the fur like algae grows on the walls and floor of apopnd it too releases something into the water the inhibits the single cell algae that makes the pond water green or difficult to see through.

I recall many years ago the first manufacturere of UV lights in SA had them on his pond in Edenvale for a number of years. Once his pond had matured and the UV lights wore out he removed them and his water remained clear. At that time he asked that this not be mentioned! bom (I hope this is the right thingy)

Regards,
Chris

P.S. I am getting a whole lot up in about two weeks time - if any one wants some here in Gauteng let me know in the next day or two. Most of this is going towards a 250,000 litre water feature with koi and swans (and green water) also I need to top up and change my barley straw which has been in the pond for 4 months now.

Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 11:03 am

Its time to get with the times people....barley straw Rolling Eyes Yes you can drive with a horse cart all the way from Joburg to Cape Town....or you can take your motor car or an air plane...It achieves the same goal, the one is just more convient and faster than the other.

Quote :
I recall many years ago the first manufacturere of UV lights in SA had them on his pond in Edenvale for a number of years. Once his pond had matured and the UV lights wore out he removed them and his water remained clear. At that time he asked that this not be mentioned! (I hope this is the right thingy)

If your pond is mature you dont need UVs - true....same said about Barley straw. Exclamation

What is easier than flipping a switch and see your problems dissappear? scratch My friend Eugen runs his UVs only at night and switch off in the day. You can switch your UVs off in winter aswell, they dont need to run 24/7 -they are only needed for when the green water arrives.

I must remember to build a barley straw chamber for my next koi pond, seems like its getting back into fashion. lol!

Last edited by wayneb on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vossie

vossie

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 11:11 am

chris ek sal ook belangstel in van die strooi
Back to top Go down
http://www.theltbclub.co.za
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi Vossie -

We met at the Koi Farm - Koi Indaba last week end.

I can't believe how much you look like the picture you always attach to your postings .... amazing ...... Laughing

Will let you know when the barley straw arrives - it will be early in September.

Chris
Back to top Go down
vossie

vossie

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 5:39 pm

thanks chris mmm ja the pic huhhhh aslong as i don`t drive the mini hehehehehe
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 7:19 pm

He drives the mini in the movies but he drives an Aston Martin in real life. So lets keep it real.
Back to top Go down
vossie

vossie

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 7:41 pm

Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
brendan

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 7:38 pm

Hi Guys,
I bought the straw and I had it in the pond for over a month now but he pond isn't getting any better.Maybe it is the way I put it it.
I tied an ancor to the bottom and a float to the top so it can stay just under the water level.Then I put it right under my water fall so that the water can flow through it.It is loosely packed in orrange bags. Must I give it more time to see what happens or what? Please I would appreciate your input.
brendan
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 8:07 pm

As i wrote before....."What is easier than flipping a switch and see your problems dissappear?"

Quote :
The cost is R240 for 3kg. and delivery is R45

Sounds like R295 wasted to me.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 10:04 pm

Hi Brendan

It sounds like you have it right, the barley straw will eventually just about dissapate.

Do you perhaps notice a very slight yellow tint in your water, it should be and then you know it is there and working.

I really do not know why it is not working for you as for me it cleared my pond in 4 to 5 weeks.
Brendan I assume it is string algae you refer to, and you cannot see it going brown. The barley straw will not remove it it only stops it growing obviously it will eventually come loose and end up in the filter.

Give it a while longer these natural remedies does take its time.

Wayne

The problem is string algae does not go through your UV man so it cant get to it.
Back to top Go down
brendan

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks neville,
I did notice a light yellow tint in the water so I guess it is working. My problem is the small floating algae that is making my water green. I can't even see the bottom of my pond.But I will leave the straw to do it's thing and see what happens. Thanks for the reply.
Brendan
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi Brendan

Good,

let us know please.

A UV and good filtration should also take care of suspended algae, just be careful of the flow rate through the UV and use double what the recommendation is.
Back to top Go down
Harris625

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 11:38 am

The algae problem can be prevented with use of good quality LED lights in the tank. The tank should be filtered on regularly basis. Powerhead should be used in the tank for better flow of water and avoid algae.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Algae problem   Algae problem - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Algae problem

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2