The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
filter dealers plant food baytril clinofish 2011 electricity SPOTS Bead dropsy foam show pond small bubble western pumps face plants growth shape cape babies salt Dimilin
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Rebuilding my pond

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Cliff

Cliff

Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Albie, I think it looks very nice. I was not crazy about the terracotta colour finish you had before, this is very natural looking. I think it looks very nice.

I cannot see properly, but the rocks around the pond, are they physically in and below water level? If they are then I see where Oom Neville is coming from with regards to the fish injuring themselves, if they are not and the fish jumps out whether the rock is there or not the chance of them injuring themselves is going to happen.

Nicely done, see my reference for Tron wasn't to kak in the end!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi,

Healthy Koi in healthy water never jumps!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 5:38 pm

If the rocks are in or close to the water surface the fish could and will injure themselves without jumping.

It would also be very nice if we could always avoid having sick fish.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 5:50 pm

Ons hoop maar so Pieter! Vir die laaste 2-3 weke het nie een gespring nie! ( Moet ek ook vir jou oom sê?? Ons hou duim vas vir my "baby" wat jy gekies het!

Quote :
I cannot see properly, but the rocks around the pond, are they physically in and below water level? If they are then I see where Oom Neville is coming from with regards to the fish injuring themselves, if they are not and the fish jumps out whether the rock is there or not the chance of them injuring themselves is going to happen.

Cliff, the rocks are above the water level. Total oversight on my side...

Quote :
I have seen in the Pretoria area they make use of mist or fog sprayers (very fine) to cool th environment. This would be great if you could install a small pump using pond water to spray that mist over the leaves of your plants, at set intervals, I think you will be amazed at the results.

I like your idea Neville. Where can I try to find one in Kempton Park/Boksburg- Perhaps Builders Warehouse?

These are the waterfall plants:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I hope I am more successful this year!
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi Albie
Friday's are very busy day's for me, but I promise to go to "Waterplant" for you on latest Monday am sure they will be able to help with info.

They are close to me.
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi Albie, I reckon if the rocks are not below water level then don't see how your fish could injure themselves. Maybe just keep the water level an inch or so lower than it is now. I really don't see a problem seeing the rocks aren't below water level
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Thanks a million Neville (I'm just again on the road next week!)

Try and make out from the photo what I have. For me the ultimate is Chris Neaves' pond- impossible here!

Forgot to say, I have water irises as well.

Keep well
Albie
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Filtration!!   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 8:35 pm

Friends who have been at my place, knows the intricacy of my filtration system, as I like to use all kinds of methods, tending to the "natural" side- perhaps old- fashioned??

Let me explain my setup first

The water from my pond leaves via a bottom drain. I have no top drain anymore. This water goes directly to the pump (1) and koi sand/zeolite filter (2)

From there the filter splits and in two (3)'s One goes the conventional route-UV light; bio filter, and split to the waterfall and high pressure inlet.This is quite straight forward.

In the next photo, the outlet splits into 2- 4(a)- the conventional route and 4(b) goes a different homemade route- to the trickle tower/biofilter and to the plants.

From the box, it goes via a 110mm pipe, low pressure, to the pond, close to the waterfall.

MY PROBLEM

The initial idea was to let the water from the flower box flow into the chamer and the being sucked up by the pool pump. Nice idea, BUT, I couldn't get the balance between inlet and outlet in the chamber right. The chamber either overflowed, or went too low and sucked air. I therefore added the thick 110 mm pipe. So this is working well.

Unfortunately, I have a waterproof chamber as well as a submersible pump and I need ideas, as I can use this space for plants, biomedia, etc. My biggest fear would be that when I am away, the chamber would overflow, as happened a while ago...

So basically I need an inlet from pond water and an outlet. I have thought about ideas- inlet from the submersible and out via the pool pump, but then an overflow needs to be built in, or a circulation with the water in the plant box

Any ideas anyone- I'm a bit stuck!

Neville, my trickle tower gee jou darem 'n go!! Ek is eintlik skaam
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 8:59 pm

Albie.

If it works then it works, it does the same job as the ones I build just looks different as is a lot cheaper. I do not see a air assist kit on your sand filter, that is a problem, HA HA.

Albie, especially for you who go away for longish periods you should have a re look and simplify things that they cannot go wrong, the last thing you want is for your pond to be pumped empty.

I would like to visit you one day and see your setup looks very complicated on the foto's.

As for the bakki shower you should consider my scaled down version it works so well and is very tidy, maybe later.
How far are your place from where the baby show will be held.

Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 9:09 pm

Pretty close, I'm off Modderfontein Rd. Would appreciate if you can come!
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 9:28 pm

Its a date will talk to you nearer the time to set up an apointment.
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 8:43 am

You better come visit me as well then Oom Neville....I'm also just off Modderfontein and helluva close to De Wets Laughing
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 8:51 am

Would then definitely do that Cliff would like to see your pond from close up.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 9:33 am

I just knew that the moment I post my filtration system, people will just get totally confused with all my pipes!

But there are still some questions:

1. If this is a loose standing container (ignore the pipes), will it be possible to grow plants in it, with a constant circulation to the main pond? Otherwise it will be a waste, just standing there.

Then some of the others that I raised:

2. Is the bio activator useful? Marius thinks so.

3. With regards to irrigating the plants- it seems as if there are a few options- the selenoid (not sure what is is), mist or fog sprayers, etc. If you install a sprayer, I suppose it must spray from the other side of the pond?

4. Still not 100% sure about Colin’s idea of the feeding ring
Quote :
Is it basically polystyrene with a biggish hole in the middle for feeding and the edge has got holes in it where I plant lettuce, etc. So the roots of these will hang in the water? Is this correct? Do you paint the polystyrene and do you perhaps have a photo that you can post?

Might join you on the "safari"

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 1:39 pm

Hi Albie,

I have to admit that my current system also has a lot of shortcomings as far as neatness is concerned as I was testing different things to get first hand info.
I don't think that plants in the filter is a good idea, again from tests done by myself, unless you control them very strictly, their roots become a problem and the just when they are at their best you have to pull them out to clear your filters. Your bakkie shower is or should remove all the nitrates anyway.
So I would put plants there for aesthetic value but not in the filter.

What Colin is getting at is the following: You take a piece of say 25 mm thick polystyrene of say 600mm square, you the cut a round hole in the center of say 400 mm the rest of the surface is used for holes of 10 to 15mm spaced evenly. You now put plants in the small holes and this platform then floats (can be anchored) on your surface, You feed your fish within the large hole (this stops your food going down your skimmer). and your fish nibble on the roots, and the plants cover the board nicely on top.
Hell I hope I have all this correct, Colin please comment.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Dankie Neville

Die "box" met plante in sirkuleer van onder na bo en dan by die boonste pype uit om dan direk in die pond te gaan.
Ek het 'n "ball valve" op die hoogte van die bodem gesit, so ek draai hom eenvoudig net kort kort oop om van die sludge ontslae te raak. Sal 'n klomp varkblomme wil insit en dan kan hulle bietjie werk ook.
Die "box" op die 1e foto kom van die groot groen biofilter en die trickle tower.

Dit was my eerste idee- en het sommer hiasinte gebruik:

Die outlet was bo.

Maar Neville, jy sal my kom orienteer!!! (Ek bou net nie weer oor nie!)

(Ek het mos geweet almal skrik as hulle my pype sien- kon seker al seker groot dele van die land met toilette voorsien het!!)

Dankie vir die verduideliking van die feeding ring. Klink nie sleg nie, kan maar net probeer.

Groete

Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: What I like- the natural!   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 5:35 pm

I like this type of set-up, but maiden hair ferns did not survive at my waterfall last year:

And now the ULTIMATE, according to my taste!! Chris Neaves' pond!! (With his permission) (He did say it was not the ultimate!)

Too be proud of!

Albie

Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 5:53 pm

wow! Shocked and im still stuggeling to get some moss going on my rocks. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 6:03 pm

Neville wrote:

What Colin is getting at is the following: You take a piece of say 25 mm thick polystyrene of say 600mm square, you the cut a round hole in the center of say 400 mm the rest of the surface is used for holes of 10 to 15mm spaced evenly. You now put plants in the small holes and this platform then floats (can be anchored) on your surface, You feed your fish within the large hole (this stops your food going down your skimmer). and your fish nibble on the roots, and the plants cover the board nicely on top.
Hell I hope I have all this correct, Colin p lease comment.

Sorry Albie, for the diversion...... but Colin, I heard a the show of a second and even a possible 3rd pond, now when do I get an invite to see this set-up [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 6:05 pm

Stunning Chris [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Thanks for posting Albie
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 8:29 pm

WOW !!
Back to top Go down
Colin Hunt

Colin Hunt

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 11:41 pm

Neville you got it spot on, Bobby just start driving.... how about next Saturday, you and Drikus and your partners are invited for a braai.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 7:54 pm

Hi Albie

As promised I went around to the irrigation people today, they are close to me, and there it was, complete kit on the mist story. It covers a 3 meter area, you can expand on this. Connects to your water mains as it needs 3 bar pressure, now you can add the solenoid valve (just an electric valve) with a timer and there you go. I think it will look excellent and in no time you should have some moss growing on the stones.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 7:53 am

Hi Neville

Thanks a lot! So it means that I will need to connect it to a water pipe and mine is quite far from the pond. Is that right? And the price?

I'm in Vanderbijlpark this week. My electricity was cut at home, so we we were without power for more than 24 hours. I could kill Council. I did not get an account last month, but paid the usual amount. Last Friday, I got a final notice for R1000 as that was apparently short, didnt pay and they cut it!! Luckily the fish are OK, but the water is turning green and I think the bio filters took a knock.

Please let me know.

Keep well
Albie
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 8:18 am

Hi Albie

What can one say I had the same thing just my amount was only R300.00 fortunately I was home and sorted it out quickly. Pay as you go may be an option. I am thinking of having a sms system installed just for that reason at least then you can phone someone if you are not home.
Albie, Yes you will have to lay a pipe, you could use the same one to do top ups. The price was around R300.00 and you would be able to add on to the system.

See you at the show.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rebuilding my pond

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next