The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
foam dropsy white Dimilin Bead pond SPOTS food plants shape bubble babies dealers baytril face skin growth plant western filter pumps show cape salt 2011 electricity
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Rebuilding my pond

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 11:45 am

I would go for a slightly thicker base then 15cm just to make double sure. Remember that you are going to slope the pond, so certain areas will even be thicker. I would make the corners round as Pieter said; by doing it this way you will able to clean the pond far easier and you will not trap all the baddies.

If you suck directly from the bottom drain you stand a change to suck your pond dry if something goes wrong (but with the stronger water flow if you suck directly the bottom will remain cleaner)
In my setup, my skimmer and bottom drains runs into a settlement chamber and when I drain my filters the water level falls below the skimmer and it sucks the drains clean since I have no water entering the skimmer at the time.

Coprox is the way to go. My small 4000L pond was built about 3years ago and no single leak or even a hairpin crack. I had a huge crack in my 30000L pond (no Coprox)and had to drain all the water when I went home. When building the big pond I was in a hurry and I completed it from scratch in 2weeks not allowing things to dry and it cost me a lot of money. With the leaking water I ended up with a R6500 water bill and nearly faded.

I am sure you will have great success with your pond since you are doing it the right way from the start
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 12:19 pm

Just to make hundred percent sure:

Concrete
Plastic underneath
20 bags cement
3 cubic meter concrete mix
Re-inforcing
? plus 25kg salt added to 1 bag=roughly 25kg per half a bag of cement.
Wait 10 days to get completely dry

Plaster between stones
2000 bricks
2 cubic meter building sand
8 bags of cement
? plus 25kg salt added to 1 bag
?plus Coprox (the powder)

Plaster

0.5 cubic meter plaster sand
2 bags cement
salt
Coprox

Painting

Hydro seal

What do people think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi Doc,

Looks Ok, no need for any salt in the concrete mix or the building dagha!

Plaster mix 4:1: plus 25kg salt
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 1:54 pm

Pieter

Do you mean a bottom drain like this?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 2:15 pm

Doc,

Yes! You can get them from UltraZap with a 50mm nozzle/outlet
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 10:03 pm

Well, we had a busy day. Four labourers and they were mixing like anything.

Thin plastic, to keep the moist in and if possible, prevent leaks:

First layer-10cm deep (bottom mix- 12 wheelbarrows( a slightly smaller wheelbarrow than your usual type) with two bags of cement)

Some re-inforcement after the first layer:

Bottom drain that I bought from Loolilocks yesterday:

and some of the rods ones that I rescued from breaking the bottom of my pond:

Picture tonight- we haven't done the slopes towards the bottom drain- will do it with the plaster work, if that's okay (angle 20:1- is that right)

(Second layer of concrete- 12 weelbarrows and 3 bags of cement)

Question now:
When can we build the two walls- one up to the previous side, and one to the top, with a gap between these two walls.\

I will fill the gap with concrete later.

The bricklayer is available next Saturday, or should I wait for two weeks??

I am not in a hurry, the fish are fine, but would ratherv wait for the final plastering work, if I need to wait

Albie
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 1:05 pm

Noticed two cracks in the concrete this morning- looks like hairline cracks, less than 1mm wide, 30 cm long. I scratched those areas out with a chisel, but it looks superficial and I refilled that area with concrete. I sprayed the concrete with water last night and again this morning.

Any reason for concern?

Albie
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi Albie

Not am expert myself but I have seen cracks like that when you use building sand instead of plaster sand, or even when you use to much cement.

When I was home I ran out of plaster sand but had building sand left that I used to plaster a very small part of a wall at the back end of the BBQ area. Many small cracks started to show when it dried out.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi Marius

I used concrete mix. Will see what happens. Hopefully you are wrong that more cracks will not develop!! (The concrete eventually was 20 cm thick)

I am going to build the slope to the bottom drain only when I plaster the sides.

Keep well

Albie
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 4:11 pm

I don't think it will be a problem. When I built my pond I used salt / cement mix and painted it over the top layer. You are still going to do the plaster part, so I am sure it will come out great at the end, since you are doing a good job so far
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 9:02 am

Just a question for the gurus.

Concrete was laid on Saturday. No more superficial cracks. Will it be OK to start building the walls on Saturday?

Albie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 11:37 am

Albie,

Start building on Saturday, it's OK!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 9:44 pm

Sorg net dat jy 3 uur klaar is om die bokke te ondersteun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 9:40 pm

Started building yesterday morning- filling up the gap below the concrete:

This morning- filling the gap between the old concrete and yesterdays bricks.

This afternoon: at least we are progressing!

Hopefully will be finished with the concrete between the 2 walls as well as all the brickwork by next Saturday. Will plaster a week later.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 9:47 am

Coming on very well. Job well done so far.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 10:18 am

Well, progressing from weekend to weekend. Will finish the inner wall this Saturday, concrete between the walls during the week and perhaps plaster next Saturday or 2 weeks after the last bricks were laid.

Just some questions:
1. I will have two inlets from one pipe ( the venturi and one a third from the bottom) I want to fit a swimming pool inlet there. Do I leave the hole open (poor Bunny can barely keep her eyes open)
or use the tinny hole or drill more holes in that flat piece

2. At the inlets and the top outlet, do I need to use from that material that they use for waterproofing before we plaster?

3. I want the white pipes that will protrude into the pond painted black. What is the best undercoat/paint that will stick to PVC?

Thanks
Albie
Back to top Go down
LJO42

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 11:08 am

albie wrote:

1. I will have two inlets from one pipe ( the venturi and one a third from the bottom) I want to fit a swimming pool inlet there. Do I leave the hole open (poor Bunny can barely keep her eyes open)

or use the tinny hole or drill more holes in that flat piece

2. At the inlets and the top outlet, do I need to use from that material that they use for waterproofing before we plaster?

3. I want the white pipes that will protrude into the pond painted black. What is the best undercoat/paint that will stick to PVC?

Thanks
Albie

Hi Albie

Looks like you making good progress,can see bunny has been working hard with all the activity Smile Im by no means and expert on this sorta stuff as im only getting to the hobby but i cant see why you would want to use the reduced hole ?? would this not just hamper your flow rate ??

i would use the largest one possible to keep the flow rate up to with help with the turnover of the water, same reason for using combinations of 45 degree bends and not 90 degree bends.

On the painting side im not sure what paint you would be able to use(maybe a black pond sealant paint).

The idea im going with on my pond is to use black bend joins or couplers on all the visible returns so the wont fade.

Cheers
Lee
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 11:41 am

Hi Albie, the idea behind a bottom inlet/mid bottom inlet is:

1 to push debris on the floor towards the bottom drain,
2 to force water at the bottom towards the surface for increased oxygen(more exposure of all water to the surface for oxygen and to eliminate oxygen poor, stagnant water at the bottom)
3 To create a stream at the bottom where there are more pressure, for exercise of the fish which in turn ensures better bodyshapes.

I would use the wider option. A wider angle of flow will forced more debris towards the bottom drain and koi prefer a wider stream and not a thin, strong stream. However, if you need more flow on your venturi on the same line, you should use the smaller hole. Some venturi's do not work very well if the flow is not strong enough, and your venturi inlet is on the same line.

Flow rate does also play a role. You will obviously have less resistance with the bigger hole. Fortunately you can play around with the two options to see which one gives you the best result. It is quite easy to remove or add the little ball again. It is a matter of balance between the two, and it depends on the strenght of the pump and amount of inlets and type of venturi on the same line.

I have tried various paints on PVC, and all of them eventually pealed off. The best results that I ever had was to paint black fibreglass resin (the topcoat version mixed with the colour agent) on pvc.

Why paint the aimflow? It will be green/brown/black within two months due to algae growth and you will not have any paint ever peeling of, exposing the white again. At our local BuildIt, you have the option between black or white aimflows, and it is selling at only R 27.00 each. Why not search for a black one?

Ponds often leak where the inlets and outlets are. You should use very soft concrete when you cover around the pipe at the inlets to ensure that there are no gaps. Always a good idea to add waterproof matting around them, but after the plasterwork when you do your final sealing.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 11:00 am

Progressing nicely. Will throw the last concrete between the two layers on Tuesday and hopefully plaster on Saturday.

Any ideas what I should do on the horizontal surface (where the book is)? Plaster and paint black, or some pebbles? I am unsure. Cant plant plants, as there will be no drainage?

Thanks

Albie
Back to top Go down
Jan

Jan

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi Albie
I cannot see very well on the photo, but is the top edge of the pond above ground level? If not I suggest that you add a few courses of brick. This is in case of a flood after heavy rain, which you don’t need to end up in your pond.
As for the top I plastered mine and put slate tiles on. Also see the picture of Pieter J’s new pond - he used black tiles, striking! In your case pebbles will probably blend in nicely with the rock art but could be a dirt trap.
Good luck it looks good!
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi Jan

The top bricks is at ground level.

Where did Pieter post it?

Albie
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 2:59 pm

Good idea to build it slightly higher that ground level. Even viewing the Koi will be great when it is bit closer to the eye

Links to similar ponds, including Pieter’s new pond

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 11:33 pm

It is good to raise the edge of your pond higher than the environment. This way you make sure that you will catch rain runoff into your pond. Runoff can contain many toxins that could be bad for your fish.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.tripwired.co.za/index.php
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 10:07 pm

Well, hopefully we will finish the plastering this weekend. At some stage I will post pictures of my filtration system as well.

Just some quotes/comments from other posts:

Colyn wrote with regards to the bottom of the pond:

Quote :
I laid a ring of bricks that was tilted at 45 degrees around the bottom edge where the walls meet the floor. We then plastered the walls to end off against the top edge of the slanted bricks. Finally we plastered the floor to slope up the slanted brick and trimmed off against the wall. This helped to get away from that sharp joint between wall and floor.

What we did this weekend was to start with a slight slope- I ran out of crushed sand so the slope is less than what we had in mind- basically the height of 1 brick sloping to the bottom drain (mix Coprox additive with the cement, salt and crushed sand) Just btw- we did "float" both layers of concrete.
I will make sure that there are no sharp 90 degree angles.

Then I need some opinions on the plastering/ final sealing-we are doing it this Saturday:

Thought of mixing plaster sand with Coprox additive and salt (as I mentioned in Lee's post), then paint with Hydroseal. (but now I'm unsure)

These are some comments from some of the posts:

Admin:

Quote :
In respect of the sealer, you have three options in my opinion:

1. Acrylic non toxic water proof paints. There are quite a few on the market.

2. Butimine paints. They do not last as long but quite cheap.

3. Polyurerethane paints. The are much more expensive but very good. It is almost like a plastic layer. I use Durapond from Dura.

Chris Neaves:

Quote :
Using Coprox is a good idea. Leaks and cracks can be easily repaired.

Colyn:

Quote :
I plastered with Plasterkey only, no salt and finally applied two coats Coprox.

Lee was talking about the possibility of "Flash Harry" as well.

Some ideas please and when can I start to paint if we plaster on Saturday? I've read somewhere that one should not wait for these cement products to get completely dry

Any comments would be much appreciated!!

Albie
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 7:36 am

Flash Harry is for "repairs" in my view. Well plastered and then coated with Coprox is clean and uncomplicated and safe for your fish.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.tripwired.co.za/index.php
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rebuilding my pond   Rebuilding my pond - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rebuilding my pond

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next