The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
food plants shape bubble clinofish show salt SPOTS babies electricity pond Dimilin baytril cape plant filter Bead foam face dropsy skin western growth dealers pumps 2011
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Quinten kois and koi pond.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Neli

Neli

Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Q,
U never said if it is pressure fed or gravity?
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 9:11 am

wayneb wrote:

Quinton, the golden rule with gravity filters is that the output line MUST be double that of the input line. That is so that the filters does not overflow.

Example: 50mm in - 110mm out

If i put all the flow of my EcoTouch on low to my bio vortexes the 110mm line run fulls steam and after about 5min the vortex starts to overflow.

Thank you Wayne Very Happy
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 9:19 am

Neli wrote:
Q,

Hi there Neli ,

It will be gravity fed

Regards
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 9:40 am

If it is gravity fed, what comes in will be able to come out through the same size pipe, U might have overflow on the previous container (not in this one) due to restriction from the media...
So U will need to adjust the flow so it is not too much for the media...
How big is the flow going through this filter?
If it is less than 8000liter/h it might manage it. But U can fiddle with it...if too much U can send some to the waterfall.
My filter is 2500+l full of shavings, loose ones...with a pump spec 0.75Wwhen they were in bags I had some overflowing, since I removed them from the bags no problems.
I have SF before that...so lots of flow lost on it.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 9:58 am

quinten wrote:
Neli wrote:
Q,

Hi there Neli ,

It will be gravity fed

Regards

Quinten, you sure if will be gravity fed? So the water will NOT becoming from your pressure lines? So this filter is going to be sunk into the ground and the water will becoming from your?.... (non pressure line?) So it is somewhere before the pump? Or you are dropping the water from your sand filter into this bio filter and it is then using gravity to flow back into the pond?

Im just asking cause i have been following your design and im now not sure where this is going. As far as i can remember your design does not cater for a gravity fed filter anywhere. You have a pump, 2 pressure lines, 2 sand filters and 2 pressure lines returning to the pond.

Are you putting this after the sand filter? If you are then im 90% sure you are feeding it with pressure. It might still work depending on the flow through it but your return line will have to be bigger than the in line unless the flow coming into it is going to be very little.

Gravity flow through a pipe is roughly as follows.

50mm - 4000l/h
63mm - 7000/h
90mm - 12000l/h
110mm - 15000l/h

Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:15 am

wayneb wrote:
quinten wrote:
Neli wrote:
Q,

Hi there Neli ,

It will be gravity fed

Regards

Quinten, you sure if will be gravity fed? So the water will NOT becoming from your pressure lines? So this filter is going to be sunk into the ground and the water will becoming from your?.... (non pressure line?) So it is somewhere before the pump? Or you are dropping the water from your sand filter into this bio filter and it is then using gravity to flow back into the pond?

Im just asking cause i have been following your design and im now not sure where this is going. As far as i can remember your design does not cater for a gravity fed filter anywhere. You have a pump, 2 pressure lines, 2 sand filters and 2 pressure lines returning to the pond.

Are you putting this after the sand filter? If you are then im 90% sure you are feeding it with pressure. It might still work depending on the flow through it but your return line will have to be bigger than the in line unless the flow coming into it is going to be very little.

50mm - 4000l/h
63mm - 7000/h
90mm - 12000l/h
110mm - 15000l/h

I agree with Wayne!
If it is pressure line, then U need bigger outlet, if it is not, then it is as I said.
Just remember the approximate waine is giving U is for a pipe flow...U will have restriction due to the media so it will be much less. It will also depend if it is gravity or pressure flow.
I suspect this figures are for gravity flow.
If it is gravity fed, your flow will depend on the head too...Make sure the container from which U are feeding this filter is much higher that this filter if U want to be able to pass more water through this filter.
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:21 am

wayneb wrote:
quinten wrote:
Neli wrote:
Q,

Hi there Neli ,

It will be gravity fed

Regards

50mm - 4000l/h
63mm - 7000/h
90mm - 12000l/h
110mm - 15000l/h

HI there Wayne ,

Sorry you are correct Embarassed

This Bio filter will be after the sand filter , sorry. Cool

Wayne if my inlet is 63 mm and then i use 2 X 63 mm pipe as oulet will it work?
And will this tank of 68 liter be to small?

The reasone that i want to take out the 2200 liter(jo-jo tank) bio filter it is to big and the aera where my filter system is i will like to hide and this tank is to high.

Regards

Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:26 am

Neli wrote:
wayneb wrote:
quinten wrote:
Neli wrote:
Q,

Hi there Neli ,

It will be gravity fed

Regards

50mm - 4000l/h
63mm - 7000/h
90mm - 12000l/h
110mm - 15000l/h

I agree with Wayne!
If it is pressure line, then U need bigger outlet, if it is not, then it is as I said.
Just remember the approximate waine is giving U is for a pipe flow...U will have restriction due to the media so it will be much less. It will also depend if it is gravity or pressure flow.
I suspect this figures are for gravity flow.
If it is gravity fed, your flow will depend on the head too...Make sure the container from which U are feeding this filter is much higher that this filter if U want to be able to pass more water through this filter.

Hi there Neli ,

Sorry dont know what i was thinking.
Mad day here at work Mad

This line will come from the sand filter the the new bio filter and then back to the pond.

Regards
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:30 am

Are you running both sand filters into it or only the one? I would run both into it and have 2 x 110mm return lines, but that just me. That will allow you to play with your EcoTouch on med and high otherwise you will be stuck on low. It would obviously be better to have 2 separate bio filters but if you only have 1 then make sure you can handle the "potential" flow.

110mm pipe and fittings are cheaper than 63mm. How far will the tank be from the pond. How long will the return lines be from the tank?
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:42 am

You must keep in mind that the EcoTouch is AMAZING!!

On low one can get 20 000l/h, on med 25 000l/h and on high 30 000l/h. That is if you limit the restriction and use big pipes.

You will not get that type of flow cause of your sand filters but they still give a high flow. Cause of the sand filters i think you can expect half of it. Maybe a bit more. I am sure Neville will argue that he gets 3/4 of the pumps flow but i can comment on it as i dont have a sand filter.

Last edited by wayneb on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:43 am

wayneb wrote:
Are you running both sand filters into it or only the one? I would run both into it and have 2 x 110mm return lines, but that just me. That will allow you to play with your EcoTouch on med and high otherwise you will be stuck on low. It would obviously be better to have 2 separate bio filters but if you only have 1 then make sure you can handle the "potential" flow.

110mm pipe and fittings are cheaper than 63mm. How far will the tank be from the pond. How long will the return lines be from the tank?

Wayne i have 2 of the small tanks , i was thinking of putting one after each sand filter out let.

The tank will be about 1m away from the pond and the return line will be with in that 1m.

Will you put the 2 X 110mm oulet next to each other or one ontop of each other?

Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:45 am

wayneb wrote:
You must keep in mind that the EcoTouch is AMAZING!!

On low one can get 20 000l/h, on med 25 000l/h and on high 30 000l/h. That is if you limit the restriction and use big pipes.

You will not get that type of flow cause of your sand filters but they still give a high flow. Cause of the sand filters i think you can expect half of it. Maybe a bit more. I am sure Neville will argue that he gets 3/4 of the pumps flow but i can comment on it as i dont have a sand filter.

Thank you Wanye Smile Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:46 am

If you are going to use 2 filters then one 110mm return per filter is good enough.
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:54 am

wayneb wrote:
If you are going to use 2 filters then one 110mm return per filter is good enough.

Thank you Wayne Smile
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi there all ,

This is more or less that i am planning to do , with my filter system.
Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Koidam10
I am using 63mm pipe.
I have one 63mm pipe that is coming out from the pump then to the 2 sand filters .
Then from the out-let each sandfilter i will put a bio-filter.
The in let of the bio-filter will be 63mm and outlet 110mm and the back to the pond.
Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Koidam11

Pls let me know what do you think.

Regards
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 2:38 pm

You can change the returns from the sand filters to 50mm. You are using a 63mm input line between 2 sand filters. It will never use the 63mm return line from the sand filters to its full capacity but you can keep it for the future in case you plan to make changes.
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 3:43 pm

wayneb wrote:
You can change the returns from the sand filters to 50mm. You are using a 63mm input line between 2 sand filters. It will never use the 63mm return line from the sand filters to its full capacity but you can keep it for the future in case you plan to make changes.

Thank you Wayen ,

Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 10:09 am

If U have two bio filters is much better...I was imagining 63l container with both sand filters going into it.
How much higher than the pond will be your bio filters...The discharge through the pipes by gravity will depend on that hight.
On My old pond I have my filter 110cm high, above pond level, I have 4" pipe discharging from that filter by gravity....it is reduced at each return to 2", and there are 5 returns.
Two of them I had to close...they was not enough water going to them...the remaining 3...two are half empty...The pump that I use is spec...0.75KW...and there is one sand filter after it.
So 3 two inch pipes are not full with water...I suspect two 3" pipes (one each from bio filter) might be enough.
If the distance from pond to filter is long, U will have friction which will reduce the flow through that pipe.
Make sure U make a overflow provision in your bio filters discharging into the pons, so U are on the safe side, and dont have all your pond empty in the morning.
If U put a T and two valves, U can use the same outlet for blowing/cleaning your bio filter.
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 7:50 pm

Neli wrote:
If U have two bio filters is much better...I was imagining 63l container with both sand filters going into it.
How much higher than the pond will be your bio filters...The discharge through the pipes by gravity will depend on that hight.
On My old pond I have my filter 110cm high, above pond level, I have 4" pipe discharging from that filter by gravity....it is reduced at each return to 2", and there are 5 returns.
Two of them I had to close...they was not enough water going to them...the remaining 3...two are half empty...The pump that I use is spec...0.75KW...and there is one sand filter after it.
So 3 two inch pipes are not full with water...I suspect two 3" pipes (one each from bio filter) might be enough.
If the distance from pond to filter is long, U will have friction which will reduce the flow through that pipe.
Make sure U make a overflow provision in your bio filters discharging into the pons, so U are on the safe side, and dont have all your pond empty in the morning.
If U put a T and two valves, U can use the same outlet for blowing/cleaning your bio filter.

Thank you Neli ,

I have started with the new filter system.

Will post pictures just now.

Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 7:54 pm

See all the bends

Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Dsc_0220

Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Dsc_0310
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 8:02 pm

See how old is the fittings

Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Dsc_0311

Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Dsc_0312
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Let the hard work start Cool

Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Dsc_0223

Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Dsc_0224
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 8:24 pm

See all the dirt that came out of the jo-jo tank.

Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Dsc_0225
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Dsc_0226

Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Dsc_0227
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Dsc_0313

Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Dsc_0228
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quinten kois and koi pond.   Quinten kois and koi pond. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Quinten kois and koi pond.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next