The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
western pumps face electricity shape filter clinofish baytril foam small cape dropsy dealers growth babies salt Bead Dimilin bubble plants food 2011 plant pond show SPOTS
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
maghmood123

Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? Empty
PostSubject: Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ?   Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:57 am

Hi Guys,

I would like to convert my 25000l fibre glass swimming pool into a koi pond but I am not sure what changes I would have to make in order me for me get this project to work successfully.

Can someone please give me a basic rundown of what will need to be done in order for this to work. My biggest concern is how much it will cost for this conversion. I dont want to convert this into a permanent pond, so just want a basic setup that can be undone easily.

Can I use the same sand filter from my pool?
Would all the water need to be drained?
etc....

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
vossie

vossie

PostSubject: Re: Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ?   Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 11:46 am

ek het dit met my swembad gedoen en hy hardloop al `n jaar lank my swembad is marbilite en het dit donker grys gepaint binne in anders kan jy nie die vis so mooi sien binne in nie ek het ook geen gate in die kant gemaak nie
Back to top Go down
http://www.theltbclub.co.za
maghmood123

PostSubject: Re: Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ?   Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 1:06 pm

Bump Very Happy Thanks
Anybody else got some advise on how to go about this project please?
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ?   Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 5:29 pm

Have a mate's pool that we converted. What we did was have a 50mm pipe joined to the weir then had it directed towards the floor of the pool Split it into 2 sections towards different areas of the pool. Placed stoppers on the end of the 50mm pipe and then just grinded grooves into the pipe so that debris could be sucked into the piping and into the weir.

Dont use the current sand, you will need to modify the fingers and add koi sand which is 3 - 5mm sand. Then you will also need to add bio filtration onto the setup as the sand filter just acts as mechanical filtration which traps solids, the bio filtration is what you need where bacteria grows that lives on the ammonia and nitrites from the pond and converts this into nitrates.

Then if you want clean water, due to the filtration being immature you will need a UV light and that would pretty much be it
Back to top Go down
maghmood123

PostSubject: Re: Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ?   Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks for replies. Im starting to get a much better idea of what needs to be done.

I have not added any chemicals to the pool for about a month now, do I still need to drain all the water before converting to a pond ?
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ?   Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Quote :
I have not added any chemicals to the pool for about a month now, do I still need to drain all the water before converting to a pond ?

Has the water just been stagnant or have you been running the pool 24/7?

I would only slightly consider it if the water has been running 24/7. You will need to replace the sand in the sandfilter anyhow because if the sand filter has been sitting with that wet sand in side I'm pretty sure there is bad bacteria growing inside there.

Or if you're sure the water is fine and has not been stagnant then I would just replace the sand irrespective and do around 3 pottasium permanganate treatments 3 days apart then start treating the pond with clay and bio boosters and then let it run for 2 weeks and then add a test fish in there.

You said you have a current pond so would take the bacteria from your current pond and seed the new filters with it.

Just remember when you start a pond the filters and pump need to be running 24/7
Back to top Go down
maghmood123

PostSubject: Re: Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ?   Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 8:40 am

Ok makes sense. Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
maghmood123

PostSubject: Re: Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ?   Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 9:35 am

HI All,

Looks like the reason for this was overstocked pond causing high ammonia levels....My existing filter was to weak to cope.

Yesterday I spent the day making myself a large homemade filter Laughing and doing a 30% water change.
Already have seen improvements in fish behaviour cheers Will try and feed them later to see if they will eat
Back to top Go down
maghmood123

PostSubject: Re: Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ?   Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 9:39 am

Oops I put this in wrong post.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ?   Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Fibre Glass swimming pool into Koi pond ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Koi Forum :: General :: Chat - Koi related-