The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
baytril dropsy plants pumps dealers face small western filter shape growth food babies cape 2011 electricity Bead clinofish foam salt plant SPOTS show pond bubble Dimilin
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 11:53 am

Chris Neaves wrote:
Just be careful -

Anything that compromises the integrity of the shell or where the multiport valve is attached of a pressurised system COULD be dangerous. Sand filters operate under pressure and you do not want something blowing off and blasting a hole in the neighbour’s wall after passing through a sensitive part of your body.

Chris

lol!
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 5:28 pm

I haven't participated for a while, due to various reasons.

I plan to buy Neville's kit, but made a serious mistake. Did not read up and saw a special at Game last week- 1400 Black and Decker water pressure machine and now realised that it should have been an air compressor- this one one can use for washing cars, etc, so it is quite nice and useful.

Will it be possible to do the same conversion(Nevilles kit) and use water in stead?

If so, I want to come to Krugersdorp next week and buy. In CT this week.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi Albie

Man I never tested that so would not know, I actually don't think so. You will have to come visit me and I will explain and show you mine in operation.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 7:34 pm

Sorry albie i doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Colin Hunt

Colin Hunt

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 10:14 pm

Hell Wayne, where have you been? You have been very quiet.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 10:16 pm

I agree that it will not work in the "traditional" way, but when I visited Mario a while ago, he uses it.If I understand correctly, he opens the sandnfilter and then then gets the nozzle to the bottom of the sand (pushes/make a hole) and then pull the trigger, which loosens the algae, etc.

I can do the same, but making sure that I do not try to push the nozzle through the sand, but rather make a tunnel.

My thoughts about Nevilles invention for my set-up: If I install his "pipes/fingers", but replace the connecting pipe with a very high pressure pipe. open the filter and connect it to the machine, I will be able to get high pressure water in stead of air through Nevilles system, and loosen the muck, which can then be back-washed.

Will this be possible?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi Albie, I think the biggest problem with the air cleaning method is that the air chooses the path of least resistance and although it assist in cleaning the filter a lot, it is not highly effective and depends on the pressure from your compressor.

With water only, I don't think you will get the same pressure from the cleaner as with air, and although it will assist you in your task, the water will make a single or mabe two holes and channel through the created path and out.? If the pressure of the water is very high, a lot of sand/gravel will be blown out with the additional water going into the filter.

I feel the air option is by far the best.

However, some pressure cleaners deliver a combination of pressurized air and pressurized water. The good ones deliver 80% air and 20% water, and these type will work the best in my opinion, and safes water.

I have noticed in an add a few days ago that there are two types available on special from Game. One for R 800(Karcher) and one R 1300(Black & Decker) 110 bars and 120 bar respectively. Wonder if they only work with water pressure?
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Wel, 'n boer sal hier 'n plan moet maak!

I have sent an email to Black and Decker to find out if the stream is a water/air mix.

Here are some photos:

My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 IMG_4140

My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 IMG_4133

My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 IMG_4135

My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 IMG_4136

My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 IMG_4137

My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 IMG_4138

My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 IMG_4139

I realize that I cannot have a "closed" sand filter and then just connect the pump. What might work, is to open the lid and spray inside and then backwash. The problem will obviously be to get the tip of the nozzle in the sand without blocking the hole and then, as you sat Paul, the sand might wash out.

Any bright ideas, except for saying buy an air pressure!

I was just thinking- if I use a PVC pipe that goes to the bottom and at the bottom have some PVC pipes like the spoke of a wheel, cap at the ends and numerous holes/slices in these pipes, then I will be able to get water from the bottom flowing upwards. Remember it has a hand on/off switch function.

Last edited by albie on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Van Black and Decker:

Quote :
Response (Richard Woodbridge) 01/28/2011 12:37 PM
Hi

Unfortunately our pressure washers are water only.

Regards

Richard Woodbridge
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi Albie

Why would you want to re invent the wheel. LOL.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 7:21 am

Hi Neville

Surely not!!

Remember, I did see your installed system a few months ago.

But I bought the wrong compressor/pump- although this one can be very useful for cleaning, washing cars, etc. I will be slaughtered if I buy an air compressor now. You know that I always wanted to buy your kit, BUT, for the time being, I am trying to see how I can at least try to use the high pressure water spray to help me clean the sand filter.

I walked into Game, saw this one was on special, it looked good, bought, forgetting it must be an air compressor and the rest is history...

I just thought that we might modify your pipe connection slightly to connect it to my nozzle and use water in stead of air, bearing in mind that I do not need to use it during backwash-I I can backwash after the spray and that I have some control with that trigger. But Paul's comment about spilling the sand out might also be a problem.

SO: Can't I install your modification, let the pipe lie freely on top of the sand. When I want to clean, I open the lid, connect the nozzle to your pipe and spray with water to loosen the sand. Then backwash as usual, switch backwash off, spray with mine, etc. Surely this must be better than just stirring with my hand.

Once people forget gradually, I can get an air compressor and do the full installation through the filter shell.

Your thoughts on this possibility? Hope you are well! Work is hectic for me.

Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 8:18 am

Hi Albie

It is easy to get around your mistake. Here is what you do.

Every Saturday morning early, get out there, take your pressure cleaner and clean the wifes car, the dirty wheels the engine every where, then you do the driveway. I am sure after as little as 3 weeks she will allow you to buy the correct goodies.

Albie the problem with your pressure cleaner is that the pressure can not be set to a controlled setting like on a compressor. You have to be careful that machine can deliver pressures in excess to your filter housings capacity.
You will only be able to use it as a probe into the sand on an open filter. You will have to obtain a different type nozzle to do this.

This is what is called development costs Albie. I promise you my air system to date has cost me more than I could ever charge for it, but works for me.

Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Well, for the time being so it is- a probe in the sand filter.

When I visit Mario again, I want his guys to show me what they are actually doing when cleaning the sand filters.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 8:59 am

Hi Albie, it would be great to have your report on how it works as a probe, cleaning the filter with the lid off.

I am also thinking of buying one for general cleaning (filter chambers, sandfilters included and filter media in other filters) but also to spray an invasion of Port Jackson trees on my farm. I have got a battery bank and invertor on my bakkie from where I may possibly drive around on the farm and spray a herbicide, feeding from a 200 liter container on the back of the bakkie.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 5:47 pm

I have just cleaned my sand filter and I'm actually quite happy. I opened the lid, put the pump on back wash, stirred with my hand and then with the nozzle sprayed as far as I could get the nozzle in. (I have a mixture of sand and zeolite). Obviously much cleaner than just stirring with my hand and I could see no damage at the tip of the nozzle.

BUT, I cannot get to the bottom of the sand filter to get the muck out from there. While cleaning I was thinking that if I could take some sand out, I could get three or four pieces of hose pipe lying on the bottom, with their other ends sticking out of the sand. It will be easy to connect them one by one to the nozzle and, spray, and loosen the dirt from the bottom, as I will lose basically no pressure until the water reaches the bottom.

So my next question, why cant I put Neville's conversion in?? Or will I lose too much pressure with all the holes in the fingers? If the proximal part of his pipe is lying on top of the sand, it will be possible??

After all, this is not rocket science. One can have 10 pieces of pipe of different lengths that will cause the high pressured water to reach nearly everywhere and the normal backwash will flow the dirt away.

Or is there something mysterious that I miss here?

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 9:36 am

I'll rather leave this for Neville to respond.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 12:47 pm

No, I think the best is to stop right here with regards to the use of a high pressure water pump.
Back to top Go down
LJO42

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi Albie

I really don't think there are any shortcuts when comes to cleaning a sand filter, i stir up mine by hand while back washing twice a week, the long and the short of it is to unpack all the sand clean it and repack it i started doing this once a month after reading a post by Pieter and following his advice, you will be amazed by the amount of muck you end up have to cleaning out.

Cheers
Lee
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi Lee

I understand that Pieter now also installs the Neville kit.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 7:23 pm

Sorry to say, but I did not get any advice, guidance, suggestions, etc.

I asked a question and help because perhaps I made a mistake.

The bottom line, loud and clear- You should not have bought it. This came out clear. There is only one way to go...

If you can clean your stoep, car, etc, good for you. BUT DON'T BRING A HIGH PRESSURE WATER PUMP CLOSE TO A SAND FILTER. And no one has answered my simple question:air vs water.

Lee, I stir my sand with my hand once to twice a week. It is easier now, since I have bought a new sand filter and I do not need to open the lid by unscrewing more than 20 screws to open the lid. Once a term I remove all the sand (thoroughly cleaning the sand I find an effort)

So, to conclude, I realise now that I should not have posted.

I was expecting a few innovative suggestions, but did not get those.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 10:37 pm

Hi albie

i also own the same water pressure gun thingy. It will work in cleaning a sand filter if you are going to do the manual old style of cleaning the filter. Open filter, break crust, swith pump on - filter on backwash and push the nozzle of the pressure gun in amonngst the gravel while the water pumps is also helping.

Now that said the pressure gun thing delivers high pressure but only to a very small area. If you where to connect the other fitting - the one that takes car shampoo in it - you will see the small amount of water that is actually used.

In short the water presure gun thingy produces pressure but for to small area to really be affective in cleaning the sand filter. I can unfortuantly not think of another way that you could employ it to clean a sand filter.

I use the neville kit to clean my sand filter but still has to stir the gravel with a paddle to clean the filter.

Hi Colin, sorry man, live has caught up with me and now i have to work for a living....man it sucks.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)   My modified sand filter (The Neville kit) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My modified sand filter (The Neville kit)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Koi Forum :: Filtration :: All your questions about filtration answered-