The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
pond SPOTS shape Bead dealers baytril food Dimilin babies foam 2011 salt face cape plant clinofish small growth pumps filter electricity dropsy show plants bubble western
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cliff

Cliff

Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. Empty
PostSubject: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 10:20 am

If I use a 3 bag sandfilter and fill it with bio balls etc. What size pond would this be a suitable for as a bio filter. The 25lt Ultra Zap's are fine for 12000lt's, so this sandfilter bio should then be suitable for 30000lt's...or are my calcs wrong.

thanks
Back to top Go down
Chris Maritz

Chris Maritz

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 10:27 am

Instead of bio-balls I'd advise you to use koi sand. The koi sand I'm using in my "bio-sandfilters" is 5 - 7mm.
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 10:31 am

thanks Chris, I do have my mechanical setup with 3-5mm koi sand already, would this suggestion of your still be suitable as a bio filter? Would definitely be a hell of alot cheaper.

Please also advise on what size pond 1 filter with this setup would be suitable for.

I am planning on extending to about 22000lts and want to know if 1 sandfilter with whatever I decide to go with inside, will be suitable as a bio filter.

thanks
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 10:45 am

Hi Cliff

If your water has already been "cleaned from solids" it should be fine IMO.
because using the sandfilter casing as a bio filter has some advantages in that you can backwash it from time to time.
I would consider to put some alfa grog in maybe with the bio balls and you should have a good bio filter.

"Off the record"
Remember that this is not a presurised system, only a enclosed system there is no additional pressure in sandfilters.
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 11:01 am

Hi Neville,

I'm abit confused by you saying it's not a pressure system, I am under the impression that it is a pressure system as it is a sealed enclosed system so is forced through an outless by pressure??

Also, what would the difference then be in pond volume between a 100lt enlosed system and a 100lt pressure system, would the 2 system only be suitable for different volume ponds??

Hope I'm coming across clearlySand Filter as Bio Filter Q. Icon_rr
Back to top Go down
Chris Maritz

Chris Maritz

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 11:27 am

That will be more than sufficient as a biofilter. I have three 3-sandfilters on my selling ponds..... 2 running with 5 - 7mm koi sand and the 3rd running with normal 1.1mm pool filter sand just to "'polish" the water. It's working great.
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 11:33 am

Chris, so do you have your 1.1mm after the 2 sandfilter with 5-7mm?

Obviously if it was first with the 1.1 it would clog up more frequently. How do you do your backwashing? I know as a bio filter you should not be backwashing or cleaning it too frequently.

Sorry for all the q's
Back to top Go down
Chris Maritz

Chris Maritz

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 12:16 pm

That's correct, two 5 -7 mm filters before the 1.1mm filter. All is working great. I backwash every 5 days exactly. I open every filter and stir the sand until the water comes out clean. You won't have a problem with cleaning the "bio-sandfilter" often because you're using pond water.

My main pond has been running the same way for about 6 months and I haven't had any problems.... I prefer this setup by far, but that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi Cliff,
This system that Chris is using is probebly the best system ever to use. You wont get better and it is cheap, very cheap.
If a sand filter was a presurised system he would get no water at the other end. There is no system that will deliver cleaner water than this. I would just, and only if you like add air to make it easy to backwash and save water.

Great system Chris cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Chris Maritz

Chris Maritz

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 1:14 pm

Just in case this is misunderstood:

Quote :

You won't have a problem with cleaning the "bio-sandfilter" often because you're using pond water.
Meant to say that you can clean regularly without doing much damage to the bio-filter because you're using pond water and not "clean" water.

Thanks Neville for your comment. I've used the other filter setups and I prefer this setup by far.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 1:29 pm

Hi Chris
You are correct, that is what I asumed, also your bacteria will not be washed away completely just slightly reduced and will recover very quickly again.
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Sounds like a solution!!!

I just want to use the 2 sandfilters tho, would that still be ok for a 22000lt pond?

My Idea is...

From pond to...
0.75kw pump to
1 x sandfilter (mech) with 3 - 5mm koi sand to
1 x sandfilter (bio) with 5 - 7mm koi sand to
1 x 55w UV light
back to pond

or should I have my sandfilters the other way around??

thanks again
Back to top Go down
Chris Maritz

Chris Maritz

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 2:26 pm

It's fine for 22000l. I would just swop the filters around. 5 - 7mm sand before the 3 - 5mm sand. If possible, try to add a small 2-bag filter with 1.1mm pool sand. This will polish your water brilliantly and also trap more of the smaller dust particles. If you don't want to get another filter then just add 1.1mm sand to the second filter.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Chris is 100% correct. Put the coarse sand first, (same size sand in both also ok). The sand from speck pumps is ideal.
If you can add that 2 bagg filter with pool sand, you will not believe the clarity.
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 3:42 pm

Excellent......so looks like I wont be adding a settlement chamber then.

Either just the 2 x 3 bag filters, 1st with 5-7mm sand and final with 1.1mm sand

or

3 sand filters, 1st with 5 - 7mm sand, 2nd with 3 - 5mm sand and 3rd with 1.1mm sand then UV then back into pond.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Perfect Cliff,

Please let us know once you have installed it.
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Should start building in June when the rains have slowed down, so hopefully all in and done by end of JuneSand Filter as Bio Filter Q. Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.   Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q. Empty

Back to top Go down

Sand Filter as Bio Filter Q.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1