The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
pond dropsy plants SPOTS dealers western babies plant show 2011 Dimilin food Bead foam small bubble face salt cape filter growth pumps baytril electricity clinofish shape
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Pond Expansion/Filter Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
David Coetzee

David Coetzee

pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pond Expansion/Filter Help   pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 7:32 pm

Ok,

I installed this in oct 09. The current pond had this huge water feature and this fell over eitherside into deep pools and each pool overflows into its own seperate stream. the streams and pond had to be relined/water proofed and the the water feature was also redone, this time was used to convert one of the pools into an additional filter. Water goes from a bottom drain and surface pipe into a settlement and then through 3 vortexes and is then fed back to the waterfall via a 55w watt UV. Some of the water is diverted to the bottom of the chamber via a t piece and a valve right at the top.

Dr Novak says once a year is sufficient to clean, i clean twice a year. Autumn and spring.

The pool when drained and the baskets removed.After 5months No sludge.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The baskets, these cost R6-50 each, (R80-00 really wayne? Get away from people that know you want these things for a water feature/koi pond Smile )

Cleaned out chamber.

Baskets reloaded.

Stones back in, personnaly i do not use stones on my own one.

Water in and system running again.

This whole setup, baskets , clay , laterite , stones and my labour cost her around R750-00.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Pond Expansion/Filter Help   pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks for the pics. Now i understand beter, I believe it works, no problem regarding that i am just not seeing how this is cheaper, easier or beter.

Quote :
The baskets, these cost R6-50 each, (R80-00 really wayne? Get away from people that know you want these things for a water feature/koi pond )

I was refering to the crates in the previouse pics on page 2. At plastics for africa crates go for about R80 each. Is that single water plant going to be able to handle the nitrate?

Quote :
That was the reason i chose to investigate this system, the nitrates as it means less waterchanges and cost incurred.

David so are you saying that you wont be doing any water changes with this system in place? How do you clean your mechanical filter?

Im not sure of others but i only clean my mechanical filters and that is my water changes...i dont do water changes for the sake of water changes...

Im still struggeling to buy this "cheaper" idea cause sofar i am not convinced maybe its because i want the method thats going to save me time and money down the road. If anyone tried to sell me this method that you are so fond of i would have been out of there in 2sec.

Here is a moving bed filter that i build a while ago. It cost me the grand total of R 1050. R300 for the barrel and R750 for the K1. Even if you want to add my Boyu 003 in it just adds R400 to the price tag...for effortless and peace of mind filtration. I never have to clean my K1. All i had to do on this filter was to spray the sponge clean once a week. (The sponge is my mechanical filter)

Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
EdHall

EdHall

PostSubject: Re: Pond Expansion/Filter Help   pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi David

Many thanks for the photos. It gives me a good idea of what it will look like in my pond. I see that you have put a pipe at the bottom rather then the diffuser crate typical in Dr Novak's pond setup....better your way actually.

I also wanted to ask if you have a basket or crate in the main pond? I wonder if it actually makes a difference?

Thanks again
Ed
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Pond Expansion/Filter Help   pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 5:28 pm

Is this not the same filtration used in treating sewerage ?
Does anoxic mean without oxygen?

Then how can it be fed by a waterfall.

I think this is exactly the same as all other filtration systems and is run by aerobic bacteria.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Pond Expansion/Filter Help   pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 7:08 pm

The term anoxia means a total decrease in the level of oxygen, an extreme form of hypoxia or "low oxygen".

So yes this filtration is using anaerobic bacteria.
Quote :
Anaerobic bacteria are a type of bacteria that grows in places which have little or no oxygen. Such bacteria infect deep lacerations, deep tissues, and internal organs. Infections caused by anaerobic bacteria are marked by bad-smelling pus, the formation of abscesses, and the destruction of tissue.

That said, anaerobic bacteria are very efficient in its job. They are usualy the first becteria to arrive in a new filtration system ..the problems is just when this bacteria gets outside the filter and starts to eat the koi.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
angryant

angryant

PostSubject: Re: Pond Expansion/Filter Help   pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 5:59 am

Hi all has anyone found the real laterite yet seems the stuff that we can get in SA is used for sand rouds and I'm sure it is not the same as what Dr nNovac uses.
Back to top Go down
Jan

Jan

PostSubject: Re: Pond Expansion/Filter Help   pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:20 am

Angry
In which ant hill have you been hiding?
Back to top Go down
angryant

angryant

PostSubject: Re: Pond Expansion/Filter Help   pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:47 am

Been keeping a low profile no money no honey naa lost tutch after my last outbreak in my pond did not loose any fish but gave 9 away and my star Showa is white now also gave it away well money well spent but leason hard lernt. Just another eg of a new koi keeper getting ahead of himself and over stocking I was warned. But hey anyone know were to get laterite the real marine plant stuff not the stuff I teamed down that is sold in tons and used for topsoil on sand roads don't thick that's what we need.
Back to top Go down
Jan

Jan

PostSubject: Re: Pond Expansion/Filter Help   pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:11 am

Sorry to hear Angry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pond Expansion/Filter Help   pond - Pond Expansion/Filter Help - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pond Expansion/Filter Help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3