The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
pond bubble babies face show dealers electricity pumps small plant Bead baytril dropsy plants western SPOTS cape food foam salt shape filter 2011 growth clinofish Dimilin
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Newbie needs help and suggestions EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Newbie needs help and suggestions EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Newbie needs help and suggestions EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Newbie needs help and suggestions EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Newbie needs help and suggestions EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Newbie needs help and suggestions EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Newbie needs help and suggestions EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Newbie needs help and suggestions EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Newbie needs help and suggestions EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Newbie needs help and suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gazzo

Newbie needs help and suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Newbie needs help and suggestions   Newbie needs help and suggestions EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 7:08 pm

Hi all. Thanx for taking the time to read this and hopefully you will be able to give me some guidence in several areas. I kept tropical fish for a few years in my old house but I have since moved to a house that has an existing pond (cement with fibreglass lining) of approx. 3000 liters. I have already sorted the pond out by patching several spots where the fibreglass had worn though or looked a little weak, installed a bottom drain and am now in the process of laying piping and thinking of a pump/filter system. I am pretty keen to go the DIY route as I love this type of thing.

This is where I need some help. What kinda pump should I been looking at ? The major concern here is that I have to pump water UP out of the pond, through the filter system and then back into the pond whilst still keeping enough pressure to create a current. Unfortunitley I cant go with a gravity fed system as space is limited and as I said the pond is already built. I am planning to run the waterfall/water feature off a sperate pump as I have one spare and not only is it easier to install but this way I wont have to worry about diverting water/pressure from the main pump.

Furthermore I am also hoping to run a skimmer (DIY - and old pool skimmer that I have adapted) off the main pipe that is conected to the bottom drain, just by using a T piece and creating a "split". I am concered about having to get a pump powerful enough to pull from both the bottom drain and the skimmer though ....

And onto the next challange...a filter !

Firstly, making my own filter has captured my imagination and I am very keen to do this. A barrel filter seems to be the way to go. I am thinking of using a dustbin (lol) for this purpose...those kind that have the flip up handles that hold the lid down.

Pump in line before the filter ..or after? Before seems the way to go cause then I can also use the pump too drain the pond when nessesary (once again using a T piece to split the pipe and also using a cut off valve/cock stop). The challange here is the by pushing the water through the filter, would there still be enough pressure coming out of the filter to create a current? Also this kinda defeats the object of having "clean" water going through the pump. And how do I create a airless vacume inside the filter (is my logic right by thinking I would be creating a pressurized filter ?)

Ok..thats enough for now Please feel free to make comments, suggestions or just tell me I am crazy to try do this myself ! Anything would be welcome

Just as a end note...although I am hoping to have Koi one day I probebly wont be having any soon...so I would either go with just a aquatic garden or gold fish (or cold water fish for that matter.

NOTE : I originally posted this message under the wrong topic so I have reposted it here. Thanx to all who replied under the previous topic
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

Newbie needs help and suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie needs help and suggestions   Newbie needs help and suggestions EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi Gazzo,

I only believe in Speck Pumps, very strong and very reliable.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Newbie needs help and suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1