The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
dealers SPOTS pumps small Bead pond bubble electricity 2011 shape foam growth clinofish filter show plants food Dimilin dropsy plant western baytril face babies cape salt
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
pond - New pond seeding and water test results EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
pond - New pond seeding and water test results EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
pond - New pond seeding and water test results EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
pond - New pond seeding and water test results EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
pond - New pond seeding and water test results EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
pond - New pond seeding and water test results EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
pond - New pond seeding and water test results EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
pond - New pond seeding and water test results EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
pond - New pond seeding and water test results EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

New pond seeding and water test results

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
willieburger

pond - New pond seeding and water test results Empty
PostSubject: New pond seeding and water test results   pond - New pond seeding and water test results EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi all. I need some expert advice as i am getting conflicting information. I've started a new pond about six weeks ag. I've been monitoring the water parameters closely but i do not know if my test results are good or bad.

i am using the salifert tests for amonia, nitrite and nitrate. I've also added salt to the pond and have been feeding lightly.

i have 13 small koi about 5cm and two larger koi about 30 cm in a 15,000 liter pond. For filtration i am running a large vortex, large bubble bead, protein skimmer large high pressure bio filter and 60w uv.

the water is crystal clear and the koi are always hungry. But i am feeding very small amounts twice a day.

my test results:

Amonia is 0 ppm
Nitrite between 0.1 and 0.2ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Salt 2.14 kg/1000l
PH around 8

These are all with the salifert test kits.

I also checked nitrite with the sera test kit and the reading is between 0.5 and 1.0 altought this test i've been told is not very aqurate.

i have been doing a 10% water change weekly on wednesdays and a 25% water change weekly on saterdays.

the nitrite level stays constant at around 0.15.

Are these readings good or bad, and when will i know of my filter has completed the startup cycle?

any advice please. I would like to know what parameters are safe as i would like to get to a weekly 10% water change and be safe.

thanks guys.

Willie

Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: Re: New pond seeding and water test results   pond - New pond seeding and water test results EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 12:37 am

U dont have much nitrate...and that to me means that U are the second stage of cycling...where bacteria for removing the nitrite is developing, but they are not fully functional.
Nitrite is not good for your Koi, they can tolerate more nitrate but not nitrite.
Back to top Go down
willieburger

PostSubject: Re: New pond seeding and water test results   pond - New pond seeding and water test results EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 6:05 am

Thanks Neli.

i am confused with the different readings between sera and salifert tests though.
i tested my tap water vir salifert and the nitrite reading is also 0.1 therefore i thinks that larger than 10% water changes are not helping as i am putting nitrite into the pond with water changes.

could you possibly recommend a test kit that is trust worthy? The difference between the two worries me and i do not know which one is correct.

willie
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: Re: New pond seeding and water test results   pond - New pond seeding and water test results EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 7:57 am

Willie,
The only one I have used is the Tetra Kit...I also dont know how accurate is since I did not test it against another one.
Maybe the boys can chip in
Back to top Go down
willieburger

PostSubject: Re: New pond seeding and water test results   pond - New pond seeding and water test results EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks Neli.

Hi Guys - which test kits do you recommend?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New pond seeding and water test results   pond - New pond seeding and water test results Empty

Back to top Go down

New pond seeding and water test results

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1