The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
growth salt western SPOTS pond pumps face Dimilin filter cape baytril dealers plants shape dropsy bubble electricity babies plant skin foam food 2011 white Bead show
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
My Pond - Update EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
My Pond - Update EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
My Pond - Update EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
My Pond - Update EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
My Pond - Update EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
My Pond - Update EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
My Pond - Update EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
My Pond - Update EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
My Pond - Update EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

My Pond - Update

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Cliff

Cliff

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue May 08, 2012 9:00 am

Thought I would post an update on my pond, now 2 years down the line and still running fine.

Had a water clarity issue not long ago, redid my piping and put in an eco touch pump and my water clarity is very good again.

I have 30kl or thereabout and only have 8 fish in there at the moment, have made space for new arrivals from the tosai trip by Costa, Karl and Lionel

Here it is

My Pond - Update Dscf2010

My Pond - Update Dscf2011

My Pond - Update Dscf2012

My Pond - Update Dscf2013

My Pond - Update Dscf2014

My Pond - Update Dscf2015

My Pond - Update Dscf2016

My Pond - Update Dscf2017

My Pond - Update Dscf2018

My Pond - Update Dscf2019

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue May 08, 2012 9:12 am

Hi Cliff, the quality of our fish improved dramatically over the past year. You have few stunning show quality fish there. Your pond looks great. Well done!
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Cliff

Cliff

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue May 08, 2012 10:30 am

thanks Paul...I have been very specific with what I have put in my pond over the last 2 years. Very different to what I had first built a pond and just wanted to chuck everything in there.

Been a slow process, but I am happy with the quality I have managed to build up thus far.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:11 pm

I like your pond and your edging around your pond.

Yeah, with koi keeping one never stops to strive for better koi.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
Colin Hunt

Colin Hunt

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue May 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Looking good Cliff! Water clarity is as you said crystal clear.
Back to top Go down
Miya Oki Koi

Miya Oki Koi

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue May 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Well done Cliff. Smile
Back to top Go down
PhilipV

PhilipV

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue May 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi Cliff.
Pond and water looks good, rounded of with quality koi. That ochiba is a model, or should I say 'lady'!? And you know I have a soft spot for that shiro utsuri. Keep us posted when your new babies have arrived. Your plants look great. We already had some frost in April-and pond temperature 15 degrees. Enjoy!
Philip
Back to top Go down
thinus

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue May 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Great stuff buddy!
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue May 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Cliff,
Love your restrain. Better few koi but good ones!
I like your kindai mama, the shiro and GR chagoi...
Keep it up!
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyWed May 09, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks all........appreciate the comments

Water does look darn good......and that chagoi is a find!!!........can you believe I paid R70 for her as a tosai!!!

Was offered R6k for her the other day.........she will stay put and will not go anywhere!!!
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyWed May 09, 2012 9:18 am

Also, that karashigoi was 25cm last year september, look at it now compared to my chagoi\big showa which are both around 58cm's!!!
Back to top Go down
PhilipV

PhilipV

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyWed May 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi Cliff
Sorry for calling that nice chagoi an ochiba-blond moment!
Philip
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyWed May 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Very nice Chagoi. Full of eggs. You must allow your koi to operate during the spawning season. I am always afraid they get egg-bound.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
thinus

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyFri May 11, 2012 9:50 pm

Paul, what is the best and safest way to let your koi operate during this periods?
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 3:40 am

Hi there Cliff,

Your pond, water and fish look awesome. I see the Bakki shower in the pics but did you eventually install the moving bed filter?

Good job!
Back to top Go down
nardus

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 6:56 am

your pond is one of my favorites.

Great job.

Nardus
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks for the comments Mark and NArdus....Nardus....really please you like my pond that much....thank you.

Mark, regarding the moving media, really thought about it but decided that I will rather add in another bakki shower instead.

The area against the window, with the plants is where I wanted to build a chamber where I would have moving media, was going to try the vortexes but they were too big.

So decided to rather put in another bakkie shower over here, which I will do with the water is a little warmer.

In a nutshell, I am doign the following

I have 2 x sand filters
1 sand filter splits thru 2 x 25lt ultra zaps, the 1 split line feeds via my below water return, the other via my stainless steel above water return.

The other sand filter just feeds from sand filter to my 350lt bakkie shower.

What I am going to do is remove the split n the 1 sand filter and only have 2 returns back to the pond instead of 3 at present.

Each sand filter will have its own 2 x 25lt ultra zaps, then go thru it's own UV light, then the one line will feed the 1 bakkie shower and the other sand filter with it's own 2 x 25lt ultra zaps will feed the other bakkie shower.

My current below water return line I will run along side my wall join where I joined the new pond to the existing pond and up to feed the existing bakkie, and the line feeding my existing bakkie will follow around the wall to the new bakkie.

I have installed a 160lph airpump and have done air rings around my bottom drains which will compensate fr my ciculation that will be lost by removing my below water return.

Pic, hope it explains a bit of what I am doing.

Any comments?

My Pond - Update New_ba10
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 11:08 am

Very good idea Cliff and well thought...Do U get lots of foam from the bakki?
I made a very simple foam fractioner for my bakki.
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 11:23 am

Neli wrote:

Neli, what I noticed is that in summer I had quite a bit of foam, now in winter none at all.

Something else I noticed, is I backwash weekly in summer and I have no alge growth on my walls at all.

Now I am backwashing every 2nd - 3rd week and I have a nice green carpet of alge building up on my pond walls.......wonder what the simple explanation for this is?

Colin......what say you? Know you have had your experiences with foam??
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 4:55 pm

I also dont have any algae...never had..I backwash every other day and on the other day I wash my SF with a compressor.So my SF is cleaned every day...but then I am a panic mechanic!
What I did is I made a small through under the bakki collecting the water...with a 4" horizontal pipe and a T at the end...I used a small peace of pipe 4" and cut half of the bottom section, in such a way that when U putit in the T it scraps the surface of the water (foam) and directs it upwards...to a 2l top of coke bottle...or 4" to 2" reducer...
Occasionally get a lot of foam exiting from it.
Back to top Go down
Quinton Jones

Quinton Jones

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Hey friends I am here!!!! been a while since i posted here
Back to top Go down
costa j

costa j

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Great to have you here again Q cheers cheers bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Very Happy Hi Quinton, looking fwd to reading your interesting posts. Cool What do you think of Cliff's idea of a second Bakki Shower? Personally i'd rather put the cash twoards a special fish as the one he has should do the job just fine.
Back to top Go down
Colin Hunt

Colin Hunt

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Cliff wrote:
Neli wrote:

Neli, what I noticed is that in summer I had quite a bit of foam, now in winter none at all.

Something else I noticed, is I backwash weekly in summer and I have no alge growth on my walls at all.

Now I am backwashing every 2nd - 3rd week and I have a nice green carpet of alge building up on my pond walls.......wonder what the simple explanation for this is?

Colin......what say you? Know you have had your experiences with foam??

Sorry Cliff, I only just read this now. Yes you are correct I do have my idea about foam and what causes it, whether I am correct we will have to see but I also have the same experience with no foam in the winter and loads in the summer. I have experienced that there is far more foam on cold days, however with the cold winter months nothing. Something else that I have noticed is that my pond gets no sun this time of the year and full sun in summer. I have built two foam fractionators that take care of the huge amounts I used to get on the surface of the pond.
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:06 am

Quinten,
Welcome back! Post your babies...I want to see them please!
Collin,
Is foam not caused by DOC?.Is it not associated with more feeding of higher protein food in summer?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Pond - Update Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Pond - Update   My Pond - Update Empty

Back to top Go down

My Pond - Update

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next