The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
food face dealers plants dropsy filter pumps 2011 SPOTS bubble growth Dimilin electricity foam western small salt Bead pond shape babies plant show baytril clinofish cape
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
filter - New pond / new filter setup EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
filter - New pond / new filter setup EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
filter - New pond / new filter setup EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
filter - New pond / new filter setup EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
filter - New pond / new filter setup EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
filter - New pond / new filter setup EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
filter - New pond / new filter setup EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
filter - New pond / new filter setup EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
filter - New pond / new filter setup EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

New pond / new filter setup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

filter - New pond / new filter setup Empty
PostSubject: New pond / new filter setup   filter - New pond / new filter setup EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 8:34 am

A friend of mine is building a small pond. He is using a fiber glass mould with a bottom drain and skimmer. It is not very large – around 5kL. He will be using a sand filter with the bigger gravel and the correct ‘fingers’ in the filter as well as a 25L drum filled with bio balls and a small UV. He is going to use a little stream with rocks and plants as a return to his pond

Since I gave him some of my Koi, I don’t want to stress them to much in the new pond / different environment and would like to help him not to make the same mistakes I did.

My question now is?…. Will it help him if I take his bio-media and gravel and place it in a piece of shading net and ‘hang’ it in my last filter chamber to mature while he is installing his pond / set up. My last filter chamber is empty and the outlet to my pond is about 20 – 30cm lower than my inlet. This creates a lot of air and some violent water flow near the inlet of the chamber.

If it is a good idea to place his new media in this area, how long should I keep it in my pond before he can use it?

By the way, he is using a 25L drum that the abattoirs are using to put the ’casing of sausages(‘derms’)’ in to make ‘Boerewors’ They cost R65 each if someone is interested – excluding transport which might make it an expensive choice
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

filter - New pond / new filter setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New pond / new filter setup   filter - New pond / new filter setup EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi Marius, I believe that there is nothing better to boost a new pond than mature media with colonies of beneficial bacteria on it.

The best would be to rather give him some of your mature media to get his system going, because if you place new media in your pond, it might take a few weeks for the bacteria to estabish on the media.

If you use for instance bioballs, exchange some with new ones. As far as I can remember, you are using matala. You could even give him a sheet of mature matala matting and he can replace it with a new one.

When he transport the biomedia, he should place it in a bag submersed with water to prevent the bacteria from getting dry. When I sell koi to a hobbyist that has a new pond, I normally give him some haircurlers and bioballs in a bag filled with oxygen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za

New pond / new filter setup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1