The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
pond growth western 2011 face Dimilin baytril salt plants Bead electricity show babies food dealers skin foam pumps dropsy shape filter cape bubble SPOTS white plant
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Worried about bottom drain EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Worried about bottom drain EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Worried about bottom drain EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Worried about bottom drain EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Worried about bottom drain EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Worried about bottom drain EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Worried about bottom drain EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Worried about bottom drain EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Worried about bottom drain EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Worried about bottom drain

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KaiV

Worried about bottom drain Empty
PostSubject: Worried about bottom drain   Worried about bottom drain EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 8:21 am

Hi all (new here:))

I am in the process of building a pond, albeit not a koi pond, its a large one Very Happy

I have put in a 110mm pipe with 45° bends (I dont like 90° bends) and am worried about the following:

If I have a leak on one of them bends, I will be stuffed. What are the chances of the 110mm fittings leaking?

I will be skimming water off the side of the pond and will have the bottom drain only to get rid of any stuff that will over time collect there. I have glued the joints and let them set for a week before I put the pipe in position and compacted it with a cement / river sand mix.

Your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Worried about bottom drain   Worried about bottom drain EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 8:30 am

Hi KaiV

Welcome on the site.

To answer your question, I don,t think your joint will leak, specially if you followed the correct gluing procedure, no reason that it should. Although one should test your joints before you cast them in.

But it just sounds like you are going about this the wrong way. That bottom drain will get blocked in time and it will be useless to you.

Sucking water from anywhere else but the bottom of your pond and a bit from your skimmer, is a serious no no.

You should get someone that knows a bit more to assist you in the basics of doing a trouble free pond before you go too far.

Just my quick thoughts.

Last edited by Neville on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KaiV

PostSubject: Re: Worried about bottom drain   Worried about bottom drain EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 8:39 am

Neville

What you saying is that one should only suck from the bottom drain?
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Worried about bottom drain   Worried about bottom drain EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 9:16 am

KaiV

Yes absolutely, if u you don't, a plug will form and it will block up.

A bottom drain should always have a strong enough flow as to keep the solids in suspension to the point of discharge. Be it your filter system or your settlement chamber.

Yes you should also only suck from the bottom drain, (deepest point in your pond). This way you will remove all the sediment and the result will be clear water. Your pond floor should always be sloped towards this point, to allow sediment to get there.

Sediment in the bottom of your pond lead to all kinds of problems later and once wrong you cannot rectify it easily. Sediment removal is a very important part of pond design.

How big is this new venture of yours literage wise, is one bottom drain going to do the trick?.

Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Worried about bottom drain   Worried about bottom drain EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 9:23 am

Hi KaiV

Here is some sound advice. Unfortunately my friend here only refer to concrete pond's. Maybe he should do a article for us on liner ponds as well.

http://koi4u.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76:shaping-the-base&catid=7:pond-construction&Itemid=12

Keep this website address it is a valuable one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worried about bottom drain   Worried about bottom drain EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 9:38 am

Neville,

I think you should adress the question about a skimmer in your posts.

Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Worried about bottom drain   Worried about bottom drain EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi KaiV,

Thanks Pieter I missed this

KaiV wrote:
Neville

What you saying is that one should only suck from the bottom drain?

Sorry I missed your statement here.

What I really meant to say is from your bottom drain and a % from your skimmer, this should be set to be just enough to keep your surface clean.

Just a point to note: If you suck from the bottom drain of your pond a safety feature should be installed so that you cannot empty your pond. (believe me it does happen)

What I want to suggest is that you install a small dia say 10mm flex pipe from your pump suction and the other end should be fixed to a point in your pond that you are happy with as a low level point. Then when the level reaches this the pump sucks air and stops to pump, if left long you may loose the pump seal a cost of around R150.00 but save your fish.
When the pond has to be emptied and it is supervised then this tube can be placed deeper down.
Back to top Go down
KaiV

PostSubject: Re: Worried about bottom drain   Worried about bottom drain EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Neville wrote:
What I want to suggest is that you install a small dia say 10mm flex pipe from your pump suction and the other end should be fixed to a point in your pond that you are happy with as a low level point. Then when the level reaches this the pump sucks air and stops to pump, if left long you may loose the pump seal a cost of around R150.00 but save your fish.
When the pond has to be emptied and it is supervised then this tube can be placed deeper down.

Thats a VERY good idea, I like cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worried about bottom drain   Worried about bottom drain Empty

Back to top Go down

Worried about bottom drain

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1