The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
cape pond baytril SPOTS 2011 growth dealers shape face foam plant clinofish Bead food small filter bubble dropsy babies Dimilin electricity pumps show western plants salt
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
General Questions=Importing EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
General Questions=Importing EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
General Questions=Importing EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
General Questions=Importing EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
General Questions=Importing EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
General Questions=Importing EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
General Questions=Importing EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
General Questions=Importing EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
General Questions=Importing EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

General Questions=Importing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave

General Questions=Importing Empty
PostSubject: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 12:53 pm

Hello Everyone,

I know to all the koi dealers who have imported, that you most likely do not want to share the trade secrets for the best of your company.

But I have been wondering, how long does it usually take to clear to koi from customs at the airport?

I mean it usually takes 50 hours or more for koi to arrive in South Africa, from them being packed into boxes driven to the airport and then flown out.
Surely the last thing any one would want, is for more time to be wasted at the airport where to conditions are incorrect?

Any answers are appreciated,

David
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 4:49 pm

I did it once and it was a nightmare.
Never again
Back to top Go down
Dave

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi Jaco,

Generally or just the customs? Did you get a customs broker?

Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 3:40 pm

All I had was an inport licence, I only got a broker when the fish was already at the airport. Then the vet certificate was lost in transit, was a nightmare. Better planning and knowledge would make it much easier.
Back to top Go down
Dave

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks for the information Jaco, really appreciate it Smile Who did you import from?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi Dave, I would not try to do it without a clearing agent who knows what he is doing.

The fish have to be pre-cleared before arrival but after packing of the fish, Department of Agriculture have to be arranged to inspect the fish on arrival(often after hours), you have to have an import permit, health certificates issued by a state Vet on that side (just before) dispatch must be 100% correct, clearing ALL the applicable diseases, special arrangements with the airliner to collect at night if applicable, and you have to register as an importer with the Receiver of Revenue, alternatively pay a large deposit (normally R 5000.00). Vat must be paid in advance and the Reserve Bank have to clear the payment in advance. Most clearing agents don't even want to touch fish due to the risks involved. One mistake on a waybill or health certificate, and customs will probably not release the fish, and you might end up with dead fish.

The biggest problem is that no one in Japan will arrange the shipment unless the consignment is worth their while. My agents in Japan insist on an import of at least R 60 000.00 at a time.

It is not worth the hassles to import small consignments.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Dave

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for all the information Smile I am not going to import by myself, but rather get a large group from the forum to import with me this will benefit many as they can get high quality koi at the prices which they can get if they import themselves. However if they import themselves they would have to pay a large amount of money to many different people for their services, and if they import with the group the costs will be divided by the amount of people importing.

I have spoken to a trusted exporter and he has agreed, he said, "that I must just let him know when I'm ready"

I am trying to find a clearing agent but, the only one I can find is Billy Pretorious
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi Dave,

Old saying, Skoenmaker hou jou by jou lees.

Let the dealers be the dealers and support them. You will not be successful unless you start doing it professionally and in a big way, The forum don't have enough buyers for you to be successful, most forum members are looking to sell off some fish as we are rather overstocked. We only buy when something special comes up..

Really, I don't think it can or will work unless done professionally in a big way.
Back to top Go down
Dave

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi Neville,

Yes I agree but,

What's the point of just letting dealers, have the monopoly of the market? If we keep on letting them set the prices and never having any competition how is the market supposed to grow?
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi Dave,

The dealers certainly do not have the monopoly, they have a lot of fierce competition amongst each other. There are a lot of well established dealers around Gauteng.
What about all the other services that poor mister dealer also offer, his stocks held, for you to come and pick as and when you need it.

No sir it is not that easy, the forum members are mostly overstocked and certainly is not the dealers target market, we only buy when something special comes up, and we are very fussy.

I don,t mind the dealer making a profit, after all he is allowed to do that, no one will work without getting paid.

Unless you intend doing it in a big way and becoming part of the competition, let them do it, they know how.

Please don't let me dampen your enthusiasm. It was once said to me, the fastest way to have a million in the bank out of koi is to start with 3 million

Back to top Go down
Dave

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 8:46 pm

Yes, I know that "most" forum members are overstocked and are very fussy however some just a small percent might be interested. Personally, I don't see why a koi keeper who has just had a pond built for him or her, would rather spend more money on a koi that has been imported as apposed to koi that has been locally bred they don't know the difference and I don't see everyday a general koi keeper spending an excess of R12 000.00 on a Kohaku from Sakai.

And with regards to the import, how do you know that I didn't go the extra mile sourcing koi free of charge and at the risk that people might not even bother taking a look. And yes in the future I wouldn't mind competing against some dealers in Joburg offering the public more competitive prices. But some people need a bit of help, when starting a business. And thank you for all your replies Smile
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:10 pm

I imported from Infiltration, Peter Waddington. In the UK.

It's not as difficult as it seems.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi Dave

I have been in business all my life and will always help when I can.

But remember there will always be sellers, much more difficult to find buyers.

If you want to build a business go ahead but don't run other businesses or competition down in doing it.

Back to top Go down
Dave

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks Jaco Smile

Thank you Neville and I can see where you are coming from, and I will take that into consideration Smile

Thanks again to all who replied Wink
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi Dave,

A pleasure my friend, you are welcome any time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Questions=Importing   General Questions=Importing Empty

Back to top Go down

General Questions=Importing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1