The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
foam show baytril dropsy filter electricity pumps bubble shape dealers cape plants food babies western plant clinofish 2011 growth SPOTS salt small face pond Dimilin Bead
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
New pond - fish do not want to eat EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
New pond - fish do not want to eat EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
New pond - fish do not want to eat EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
New pond - fish do not want to eat EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
New pond - fish do not want to eat EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
New pond - fish do not want to eat EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
New pond - fish do not want to eat EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
New pond - fish do not want to eat EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
New pond - fish do not want to eat EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

New pond - fish do not want to eat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

New pond - fish do not want to eat Empty
PostSubject: New pond - fish do not want to eat   New pond - fish do not want to eat EmptyMon Jan 07, 2008 11:21 am

Enquiry from Devon

Thanks for the useful website, I spent hours going through it .

I have learnt now that I need to use salt in the pond as the fish are acting strangely.

I have added them last week to a 3000L pond and they do not seem to be eating, I have 2 goldfish in there that eat merrily , but all the koi seem to do is hide under this artificial rock in the pond the whole day .

I am getting a tad bit concerned as when they come out, they tend to hang around the waterfall.

I have purchased a pump and will have it installed for more aeration.

Is there anything else I am doing wrong, or should be doing?

I have a filter with bio media and attached UV light, pumping around 2500 L per hour, and another pump for the waterfall.

Please can you advise what I can use, any medication or add plants to get the to eat.

Thanks

Devan
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New pond - fish do not want to eat   New pond - fish do not want to eat EmptyMon Jan 07, 2008 11:47 am

Hi Devan

If the fish hangs around at the waterfall it is often an indication that there are not enough aeration.

Your water circulation with waterfall sounds fine at 2500l per hour depending on the amount of fish. Your total fish should not exceed 66,6 cm per 1000 liters, in your case 200 cm in total. That would be approximately 10 fish of 20 cm, maximum if your pond is mature. However, your pond is still immature and you should not exceed more than 100 cm in total for the first 6 months. (eg 10 x 10 cm)

Plants will increase the oxygene during daytime, but take it back at night time, so you should not add too many plants.

It is quite common for new fish to go through a stage of not eating. It may take up to three months for them to settle down and get used to their new environment, especially if there are a lot of movement.

Salt helps a lot at this stage and prevents a parasite invasion while they are stressed, creates a mucus layer to protect them from infections and protect them against Nitrite poisoning while nitrites tend to fluctuate as a result of a new pond. Keep the concentration at 3 kg/1000 liters for the first few months.

Their behaviour may also be due to incorrect water parameters. Get yourself a test kit and check your PH, Ammonia and Nitrites regularly and correct/adjsut if necessary. You should have tested the PH before introduction of the fish.

Monitor them closely, and if they flash or hangs all the time, get somebody to take a scraping to check for parasites. They might have Costia due to sudden changes in temperature and stress due to their new unfamiliar environment, and only treat with medication after confirmation of the existence of and type of parasites.
Back to top Go down
Devan

PostSubject: Re: New pond - fish do not want to eat   New pond - fish do not want to eat EmptyMon Jan 07, 2008 2:11 pm

Thanks Paul

i have been checking the PH on a daily basis and the reading is 7 , I am told this is within range, however , I still ahve to do the nitrate and ammonia testing, do you sell products to stablize the water if the readings are out ?

Thanks

Devan
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New pond - fish do not want to eat   New pond - fish do not want to eat EmptyMon Jan 07, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi there

Your PH is perfect. Your Ammonia and Nitrites should also be fine because high ammonia and nitrites are mainly created by feeding and your fish do not eat much at this stage.

There are products to break down the ammonia and nitrites, but the best is to get your biofilter mature as soon as possible, and the Nitrobacter and Nitrosomonas bacteria will do the rest. Increase feeding gradually until you reach zero ammonia and nitrites and do a 10% water change every week to keep it down and get rid of most of the Nitrates.

The best way to solve high ammonia and nitrites in an emergency situation is to rectify it with water changes. Rather stay away from Chemicals.

It is always a good idea to add bio boost to your filter to boost the filter of a new pond, alternatively, get some mature biomedia from a dealer or friends to boost the filter and to speed up the process of bacteria growth.

Bioboost can be obtained from PlatinumKoi.co.za by mail order.

Good luck with your new pond.
Back to top Go down
Devan

PostSubject: New Pond   New pond - fish do not want to eat EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 5:40 pm

HI Paul

thansk for taking my call , I think we got cut off due to the recpetion.
I will check up those levels and post them tomroow for your advice , the fish do seem to be relaxed and are now eating slowly .
I have not overfed them as the pond in not mature and I am sure the pump is not building up enough bacteria , so I do not want too much of waste to create an ammonia and nitrate problem.
Thanks again

Devan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New pond - fish do not want to eat   New pond - fish do not want to eat Empty

Back to top Go down

New pond - fish do not want to eat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1