The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
pumps dropsy 2011 salt electricity shape Bead face plants growth pond babies bubble show Dimilin western foam white dealers food skin cape plant filter SPOTS baytril
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Will this pond renovation work??? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Will this pond renovation work??? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Will this pond renovation work??? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Will this pond renovation work??? EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Will this pond renovation work??? EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Will this pond renovation work??? EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Will this pond renovation work??? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Will this pond renovation work??? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Will this pond renovation work??? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Will this pond renovation work???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cliff

Cliff

Will this pond renovation work??? Empty
PostSubject: Will this pond renovation work???   Will this pond renovation work??? EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 9:42 am

Firstly I have my current pond which is around 8000lts, heres a pic
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now the short wall where the waterfall is, is the wall I want to break down. Not entirely down but about a 800mm down, my total depth is 1400mm. So I want to cut down around 800mm and then build a seperate pond all together, replaster and have the one flow into the other. Sort of like this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have not drawn bottom drains, but I will have a bottom drain in each section.

Hope the pics are clear and make sense.....I know about the hassles of trying to join 2 cement floors and know that it's a big no no, therefore just breaking down a wall and joining there. Do you think my extension renovation plan will work??

thanks again
Back to top Go down
Chris Maritz

Chris Maritz

PostSubject: Re: Will this pond renovation work???   Will this pond renovation work??? EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Could work if you completely re-seal and waterproof the whole pond. I'm not a big fan of pond extensions as there's a big chance of leaks. If you break down a wall on any end of the pond it could crack anywhere, even on the opposite side. Might open yourself up to hastles. If you wanna take the chance then that's up to you.... I would rather redo the whole pond or save until you can.
Back to top Go down
DAVID

DAVID

PostSubject: Re: Will this pond renovation work???   Will this pond renovation work??? EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi Cliff
IF you have the space. build a new pond completly. thay say Two's better than One.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wellmax.co.za
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Will this pond renovation work???   Will this pond renovation work??? EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi Chris,

As for breaking down that wall, well I wont be breaking it down with a hammer and chisel, will be finely cutting it with a big grinder and diamond blade and not hammer it at all.

I know that if I bliksem the thing it could possibly break elsewhere therefore finely grinding it bit by bit till I get it to where I want it. I will then sand down the current pond and reseal the entire pond, doing special sealing over the wall connection area.

I really think if done correctly this extension could work, or do you still have your doubts?

David, as for building another pond, I did think about this, but to the back of my house where the space is available only a wheel barrow has access to this area and I would hate to think how we would have to trabsport 30 odd tons off dirt via wheel barrow.

thanks again
Back to top Go down
Chris Maritz

Chris Maritz

PostSubject: Re: Will this pond renovation work???   Will this pond renovation work??? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:56 am

If you've got the time and patience to do it your way then it should work. Still a gamble, whether you use a grinder or a hammer.

Because there's that bit of wall seperating the two parts, you'll have to add another bottom drain to the new extension which will have to be connected to the current piping, which means more breaking down. You know your setup, so how are you going to go about this?
Back to top Go down
Adi

Adi

PostSubject: Re: Will this pond renovation work???   Will this pond renovation work??? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 9:31 am

have you looked at those mini diggers? used one in a town house complex to dig my previous pond, worked 100%, those digger need a maximum width is 1050mm. ...which is a doors width, they will dig a 30000l pond in a day.....and also move some of the soil....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: Will this pond renovation work???   Will this pond renovation work??? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 9:38 am

My vote is for new pond, very beneficial to have two ponds. Patchwork !! affraid
Back to top Go down
Adi

Adi

PostSubject: Re: Will this pond renovation work???   Will this pond renovation work??? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 am

agree with bobby, to get 2x floor and 4x wall to seal without a leak is a nightmare....
Also point for consideration, where will you move current fish to?

If you build new you do not have that problem.....
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Will this pond renovation work???   Will this pond renovation work??? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 9:55 am

Hi Adi, will have an intex porta pool which I keep them in.

I may just build a 2nd pond at the back, however the area that I have available is deterring me with it's accessibility. I really think if I grind down the wall bit by bit with no hammering and then replaster the entire pond I should be fine. Also the section where the wall is that I want to break is where the bottom drain pipe leads out so that will not be a problem.

I think if I do it properly and slowly I can have the desired result in the end
Back to top Go down
Chris Maritz

Chris Maritz

PostSubject: Re: Will this pond renovation work???   Will this pond renovation work??? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 9:59 am

Like I said.... You know your setup best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will this pond renovation work???   Will this pond renovation work??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will this pond renovation work???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1