The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
face white dropsy pond babies food plant salt filter Dimilin cape shape electricity growth Bead show foam dealers 2011 bubble plants pumps skin western baytril SPOTS
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
What would you have in your pond EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
What would you have in your pond EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
What would you have in your pond EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
What would you have in your pond EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
What would you have in your pond EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
What would you have in your pond EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
What would you have in your pond EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
What would you have in your pond EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
What would you have in your pond EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

What would you have in your pond

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Sanke's
What would you have in your pond Vote_lcap40%What would you have in your pond Vote_rcap
 40% [ 29 ]
Shiro Utsuri's
What would you have in your pond Vote_lcap23%What would you have in your pond Vote_rcap
 23% [ 17 ]
Budougoromo's
What would you have in your pond Vote_lcap5%What would you have in your pond Vote_rcap
 5% [ 4 ]
Platinum's
What would you have in your pond Vote_lcap15%What would you have in your pond Vote_rcap
 15% [ 11 ]
Yamabuki Ogon's
What would you have in your pond Vote_lcap16%What would you have in your pond Vote_rcap
 16% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 73

AuthorMessage
Dave

What would you have in your pond Empty
PostSubject: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi guys just out of curiosity what variety of koi would you keep in your pond, please can every wote Smile thanks
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi Dave
It must be a first for using a poll on this forum, well done for taking the initiative cheers

I am missing the Kohaku and Showa's
Back to top Go down
Dave

PostSubject: Re: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 6:11 pm

Thanks bobby Smile
Back to top Go down
Dave

PostSubject: Re: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 3:36 pm

thanks everyone for voting!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 4:09 pm

The trouble is getting a decent sanke is not easy. Sanke Tosai are usually aka sankes and not the real deal. But i would also like to have a proper sanke one day.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
LJO42

PostSubject: Re: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 4:22 pm

I had to tick each one and if there were more id have to tick them to, ill have any koi although at the moment i have my 17 pond mutts which would really get abuse if i had to post pics of them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 6:03 pm

LJO42
What's important is that you take care and enjoy your Koi. You know our expectations of show Koi sometimes get the better of us and we loose perspective of what it is really about. Some of the critics on this forum does not always take the personal attachment of our Koi into consideration. Well the believe of the critics may well be that you have asked for it so lets go for it.

Christie from Cape Koi Aquarium sometimes annoy me when I ask for a critical evaluation. The man always concentrate on the positives and will only comment on the good points and never really on the de-merrits. His motto is that if one cannot say something good he will not comment at all. Only when I ask him about a percieved demerit will he comment on the issue .

So I only have good Koi lol! thanks Christie
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Im going to get sidetracked here....please excuse me.

I agree with bobby that we sometimes only seek the bad. The word "Koi appreciation" is quite the opposite of "Koi criticism"

If i may play the word game... tongue

critique
1.an article or essay criticizing a literary or other work; detailed evaluation; review.
2.a criticism or critical comment on some problem, subject, etc.
3.the art or practice of criticism.

Appreciation
1.gratitude; thankful recognition: They showed their appreciation by giving him a gold watch.
2.the act of estimating the qualities of things and giving them their proper value.
3.clear perception or recognition, esp. of aesthetic quality: a course in art appreciation.
4.an increase or rise in the value of property, goods, etc.
5.critical notice; evaluation; opinion, as of a situation, person, etc.
6.a critique or written evaluation, esp. when favorable

My feeling has always been that if you want to put your kois under "Koi appreciation" then you are asking that your kois be evaluated against the variety it is suppose to represent. So if someone posts a shesui and it has half a zip then you should expect to get that comment. You might love it dearly but thats a demerit.

What christie is doing is what Hannes Uys always say that we should do...do not seek the negative only the positve and i guess there is a place for it...but if we all did that then the person posting his koi pic would think that he has the best koi is the world....creating a false impression or he might get upset if he got no comments....

I dont think its realistic, if i post a kohaku and it only has 2 little red marks on it...and people comment about the kois wonderfull bodyshape am i suppose to believe that its a amazing kohaku? I think we should maybe be more balanced...pointing out the good and then the bad.

Personally when i post my pics of my koi i want people to see if they can see something negative that i cant as i have already seen al the possitives.

Its like when i buy a car or horse drunken and i ask a expert to go along...i want him to check if something is wrong with it before i buy it...i dont want him to go; 4 wheels - good, paint - good .... just tell me if something is wrong! Car is rusting like a old paint can - bad, no engine - bad, leaking oil - bad.

In the end we all love our kois bautifull and ugly and i am sure many of us have ugly kois that we keep for sentimental reasons. I had to put one of my gold fish down the other day cause of a swimbladder problem that did not come right. That gold fish was much, much closer to my heart than any of my kois...being my first fish and being over 6 yers old. But if a koi keeper came to my pond he would say something like "What the hell do you have a gold fish in your pond for....if it was me i would get rid of it....."
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 8:03 pm

LJO42 wrote:
I had to tick each one and if there were more id have to tick them to, ill have any koi although at the moment i have my 17 pond mutts which would really get abuse if i had to post pics of them. Very Happy
And all this means what Question when someone has openly shared his concerns. Question
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 8:12 pm

I guess it comes down to the question. Why did the poster post his pics under Koi Appreciation?. What was the posters aim? Only he will know why.

Usually the subject / topic of the topic under koi appreciation states that objective.

"Critique my local bred Shiro Utsuri"

"what are these?"

"Deal or No Deal?? "

"my new showa - comments please"

the description of the section Photos of the good, bad and ugly koi on this forum is
"Post a photo of your Koi to enable members to assess your koi"

Sorry im going to use the dictionary again.

Assess
to judge or decide the amount, value, quality

In the end its upto the person that posted his pics to decide if he agrees or disagrees with the information stated. Use it, dont use it.

There is another section on this forum where people can post pics of their koi without getting the koi evalutated.

Photo gallery
Place a good photo of Koi or Koi ponds
Back to top Go down
LJO42

PostSubject: Re: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 8:08 am

wayneb wrote:
I guess it comes down to the question. Why did the poster post his pics under Koi Appreciation?. What was the posters aim? Only he will know why.

Usually the subject / topic of the topic under koi appreciation states that objective.

"Critique my local bred Shiro Utsuri"

"what are these?"

"Deal or No Deal?? "

"my new showa - comments please"

the description of the section Photos of the good, bad and ugly koi on this forum is
"Post a photo of your Koi to enable members to assess your koi"

Sorry im going to use the dictionary again.

Assess
to judge or decide the amount, value, quality

In the end its upto the person that posted his pics to decide if he agrees or disagrees with the information stated. Use it, dont use it.

There is another section on this forum where people can post pics of their koi without getting the koi evalutated.

Photo gallery
Place a good photo of Koi or Koi ponds

Im still new to the world of Koi and have a lot to learn, and by posting pics and getting feedback is one sure way to start understanding how to point out good quality koi and understand what to look for, I ask people for critique and get exactly that for which i am grateful.....people are helping me and i am learning....this doesn't mean i have throw that fish out of my pond.Next time i purchase a new fish i can do so with applying what i have learned.

I think the point of my post was missed, maybe i should have said all varieties are nice in there own way to me i don't have a personal preference, i even like the one that are in my pond now, you get attached to them.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 8:58 am

Quote :
Im still new to the world of Koi and have a lot to learn, and by posting pics and getting feedback is one sure way to start understanding how to point out good quality koi and understand what to look for, I ask people for critique and get exactly that for which i am grateful.....

LJO42, you are going about the hobby the way that 90% of koi keepers start. You got a pond you bought some koi...after posting the pics of them you discover that they are not the best and greatest but you enjoy your hobby.

As time progressed you select beter and beter fish as you can afford it and you do away with the koi that you now not find appealing anymore. Thats how most people do it. The ones that build a pond and spend more that the average joe on koi right from the start end up with great above avergae fish. Chances are that those people are not going to learn as much as you. The kois below was an average of R150 and the most expensive R300. The R300 Utsuri developed into a nice looking koi but died last year unfortuantly.

Look at the koi i started with. I sold the 2 matsubas soon after buying them as i realised that it was a mistake. Tha tancho, showa and sanke trew away their red. I killed the ogon with a overdose of PP. The kohaku had no red on the head and had a full pattern. The one utsuri in the picture with big pattern only had the pattern on the one side on the other side it was white. I was able to sell the new bekko ex sanke and utsuri ex showa and the bad patterened utsuri.

If i had to post any of those koi on the forum they would be crtiqued as they deserve to be. Thats how we learn. We get told the hard facts (opinion of the person commenting) and you decide for yourself if you are going to use the new knowledge or are you going totake it personally and shy away from the forum. Thats how the majority of us start and learn. Hell im 5 years into this hobby and im still learning everyday.

What would you have in your pond MyStartupkoi1

What would you have in your pond MyStartupkoi2

What would you have in your pond MyStartupkoi3

What would you have in your pond LocalBredShiroUtsuri
Back to top Go down
LJO42

PostSubject: Re: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 9:45 am

Hi Wayne

Thanks for sharing glad to see even you were where i am at the moment think you sum it up quite nicely, gives me hope ill get there one day Smile

The most expensive fish i have bought to date was R400 but the majority where R250 and R135, they by know means monsters, largest are around 22cm but they will get there eventually.

Im also restricted at the moment as my qt tank is not the largest but plans are on the cards to build a proper qt pond this winter.

Cheers
Lee
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 11:08 am

Lee, one last thing.

At some point in the hobby when one has learned enough to pick a good quality koi one needs to break the bank a bit to buy it. I will go as far as to say that one needs to spend in the region of R4000 - R10 000 on nissai to get a good quality one, even the kois of R2500 or so has a good chance of turning out to be duds along.

My koi for example still does not come close to some of the hi quality koi that some of the members on this forum own. Knowldge helps nothing if one cannot afford to buy good quality koi. Yes sometimes we get lucky and get a good quality cheap koi but that des not happen often but there is a bright side to this dull reality...when you take your cheap koi that you have hand picked with all your knowldge that you have gather over the years and you take it to a show and it beats the other koi that those keepers paid thousands on....thats a wonderfull feeling.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would you have in your pond   What would you have in your pond Empty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1