The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
clinofish plants SPOTS growth plant babies cape show filter 2011 Bead face shape electricity western bubble small salt pumps baytril pond food dealers Dimilin foam dropsy
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Green water Challenge

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 3:32 pm

Viresco AQUA and Viresco KOI are a mix of organic destroying bacteria and bacteria that remove nitrates. Because all the available nitrate food for the algae is consumed by the Viresco the algae starve to death.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Adi

Adi

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 3:43 pm

other big difference is the cost, for PP it is way lower then for Viresco. Viresco for 48kl is about R800 the PP is not even close.....
Two totally different things
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Admin wrote:
Viresco AQUA and Viresco KOI are a mix of organic destroying bacteria and bacteria that remove nitrates. Because all the available nitrate food for the algae is consumed by the Viresco the algae starve to death.

Paul is right, I thought it was a chemical like pond clear.
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi Anver -

Please post your pond specifications and circumstances - i.e. your water is still murky under the filtration section of the forum.

I may have some answers and starting a new thread on this subject under the correct section would be great.

Regards,
Chris
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Green Pond Water   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 6:26 am

Hi,
With green pond water I suggest you read an article by Norm Meck - you can find it on

http://www.koi-unleashed.co.uk

Go to the green water link.

Regards,
Chris
Back to top Go down
Adi

Adi

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 9:39 am

water has improved a little bit, but still not happy with quality.
Have the space, so planning to add a sand / gravel filter between the UV light and outlet. The pumps has the power, this should finish off the water nicely. Would like it crystal clear, any thoughts?
What kind of gravel would be best to use any advice?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 9:54 am

Hi,

3-5mm.

If your going to use a swimming pool sand filter, you need to modify the filter "fingers"

See;

http://southafricankoi.11.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=729
Back to top Go down
Adi

Adi

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 10:05 am

Thanx, looking for the filter now...hoping to install soonest
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 1:35 pm

Just a thought, as it is difficult for me to picture your set-up. I have a combination of mostly bio filters as well as "the normal" sand filter set-up with a UV and a high pressure extra bio filter.

My water is still not perfect, but what I did in the past was to pull a silk stocking over the top outlet. If it is bad, I clean it every few hours

What I do now, is to put foam in the pump basket. It catches a lot of rubbish before going into the pond. Currently I need to clean the foam daily- and today is the 1st day I can see the bottom.

So, I do think there is a role for mechanical filtration, if you have an area where the water will run through. The foam at Loolilocks is pretty expensive, but just a thought to get some stuff out naturally.

I agree with David, be patient! (but that is difficult...)
Back to top Go down
Adi

Adi

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 3:50 pm

Got the filter 1x Badu Koi filter from Speck, 2 bags, also bought there, will do platform for filter to stand on tonight. This weekend the pond should be cristal clear!
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 3:54 pm

is it a 2 bag sand filter?........I'm sure for your .75 pump you need at least a 3 bag filter????

Worried with the pressure that the 2 bag might explode.......or won't it???
Back to top Go down
Adi

Adi

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 4:09 pm

checked with Speck they said it should be fine, that filter has some impressive specs....
Code Description
7015000002 BADU®️ Koi Filter 2 with standard valve
7015000003 BADU®️ Koi Filter 3 with standard valve

Technical data BADU®️ Koi 2 BADU®️ Koi 3
Filter in m2 0.21 0.27
Filter size in inch 20 22
Filter sand in kg 80 120
Weight excl. sand 12.04 14.84
Average pool size in lit 57 000 75 000
Flow rate in m3/h at 80kPa 9.5 12.5

Turnover rate in litres BADU®️ Koi 2 BADU®️ Koi 3
4 Hour Turnover 38 000 50 000
6 Hour Turnover 57 000 75 000
8 Hour Turnover 76 000 100 000
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 4:23 pm

albie wrote:

I agree with David, be patient! (but that is difficult...)

It is very difficult to be patient but after a year you will smile. Most people give up the hobby in the first 12 months because they experience problems in the beginning. Thanks to a forum like this and the info people share to make it a great hobby.

Most beginners will visit a pet shop to buy ’Koi’ and start up a small pond somewhere in the garden just to give up hope simply because they did not receive the correct info from the start. Maybe someone can compile some basic info and supply it to all the pet shops to inform people about this great hobby. I know you can’t get any proper Koi from the average ‘dog-and-cat-shop’ but if you can inform the public more I am sure the Koi industry in SA will gain a lot.

I wanted to give up the hobby but with help from all the people here I hanged on. After all it is easier digging a hole than filling it up again Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 5:54 pm

Adi,

Stick with me, I will make you a happy Koi keeper Exclamation Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Adi

Adi

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 9:10 pm

Trying to be patient....not my best side....planning to do some pictures over the weekend. Looked earlier on water a bit clearer but still far from acceptable....
Back to top Go down
Adi

Adi

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 9:11 pm

Building the box for the additional filter tomorrow, should be operational by tomorrow night or Friday latest (I hope)
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Modifying "fingers"   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 6:33 am

Hi Pieter

Quote :
If your going to use a swimming pool sand filter, you need to modify the filter "fingers"

See;

http://southafricankoi.11.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=729

I want to do do that, as I am cleaning the sand filter today, but the post doesn't open. Im registerd on that forum. Perhaps it is archived??
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 7:51 am

Hi Albie

Maybe you should try again, I was able to open the link now
Back to top Go down
Adi

Adi

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 9:14 am

Speck pumps make special sand filters that actually use gravel. They sell the lot.....if anybody is interested might be able to buy more at greatly reduced price. Send me a pm if u interested.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 9:35 am

Albie,

het jy reg gekom, anders email ek dit vir jou!
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 1:49 pm

Dankie, het dit oopgemaak- vanmiddag bietjie gate groter maak.

Beland daar nooit sand in jou filter nie, veral as die sand begin oud raak nie?
Back to top Go down
cam0

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 1:55 pm

There is an issue clicking on the links when you are not logged in on that side which will say topic does not exist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 2:12 pm

Albie,

As jy 3-5mm sand gebruik sal daar geen sand uitgeblaas word nie.
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Just in case....I bought 3mm gravel from Global Pools in sebenza, think it was around R40 a bag
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 3:54 pm

In wine their is wisdom. In beer there is freedom. In water there is bacteria. (Benjamin Franklin)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Green water Challenge   pond - Green water Challenge - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Green water Challenge

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next