The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
cape filter dropsy face shape bubble electricity growth small Dimilin SPOTS foam pond western dealers 2011 pumps plants food salt Bead baytril babies clinofish show plant
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sueq447

filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL Empty
PostSubject: We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL   filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptyTue May 01, 2012 2:44 pm

In December 2011 I succeeded in convincing hubby that a 'goldfish pond' would look good in the garden. I proceeded to buy a pump (normal fountain type), a pond ornament (angel spouting water), and a plastic bucket. I had no clue what to do, or what I wanted.
January 2012 saw me hiring a gardener, buying plastic lining at Builders' Warehouse and commencing the dig. After the gardener had dug for 2 days, I had a roughly semi-circular pond about 40cm deep in the middle, and 8cm deep around the edges. The following week we proceeded to line (by we, I mean I gave instructions, gardener did the work! hehe) this pond with a double layer of the 250micron plastic sheeting which I thought would do the trick. Despite yells of 'you're going to be sorry' from my brother-in-law, 'we should concrete the thing' from hubby, and 'are you sure you're doing this right' from the kids - we batted on regardless. A visit to my local garden centre saw me hauling small boulders (things were heavy) and some plant matter (a water lily) in my poor IX35 to the house. The rocks and boulders were to hold the plastic lining in place until it got filled. We then proceeded to run water into the pond. Week 3 saw us filling the pond with water, and adding 'muti' which I obtained from the petshop, as well as 2 fish (comets I think).
24 hours later the fish were alive and well, but, by the Sunday George (yes, I named them) had died. We had had a massive storm the night before, so I blamed his death on the lightning/mud/whatever.
Monday I decided to replace George with another 13 comets (or so I thought). Tuesday I bought more plants and by Wednesday couldnt see the fish for mud!!! I hastened to the petshop and ordered a UV filter, which, when the installer arrived, didn't have a pump with sufficient capacity to run it, so he went and brought a larger pump and installed the whole shebang the following day. By the weekend, the pond was doing fine, fish were thriving, it looked fabulous! On the Sunday I proudly showed the family my 'goldfish' photos - my sister-in-law exclaimed 'some of those are koi!' how she knew the difference I couldn't tell.
After my purchase of another 8 comets (2 of which fantails) I decided to leave things be.
The pond flourished for about 2 weeks, then I went to Durban for a week, and I lost 21 of 27 fish! I was absolutely devastated. On my return, I promptly removed the remaining 6 fish, plants, rocks etc to another small pond which I have (more of a water feature really, but it has a lovely coating of algae); and we then decided to concrete the goldfish pond, and line it with the special paint.
We returned from holiday on 22 April, and our pond was finished! We drained the first water and refilled. Put in the special medicine and left it for a few days. On 29 April we moved the 5 comets and 1 koi to the new dam, and went to purchase some more babies. We ended up with 9 koi of approx 5-6in in length (3 of which i'm 'koi-sitting' for daughter), 2 lionheads, and a batch of tiddlers. Of course, when I saw a butterfly koi at the petshop yesterday, I couldn't resist!
Hubby, who said he didn't want koi, is enjoying them almost as much as I am. In just 3 days, one of the baby koi is coming within an inch or two of my hand, and the others are no longer so frightened when I go to the pond.
Learning is half the fun! I would be very happy to hear from anyone who has any advice for me, a brand-new koi keeper - I don't want to show them, they are my 'peace garden' - beautiful, graceful, and I enjoy just sitting watching them! Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL   filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptyWed May 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Warm welcome. There are loads of information on here about almost every topic on koi. Not as much on gold fish.

Please post some photos of your pond and new babies.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
sueq447

PostSubject: HAPPY TO BE A MEMBER OF THIS FORUM   filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptyWed May 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Hello
I have learned a lot since joining this forum. I will post pics as soon as I take some decent ones. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: Re: We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL   filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptyThu May 03, 2012 9:06 am

Sue,
U remind me so much of my self. I also did not know I had Koi when I started.
How big is your pond? How many liters?
Koi are a disease....wonderful disease.
Each koi needs 1000 liters to  survive and be healthy. Plus that U need mechanical and biological filtration.
U can buy ready made filters or make your own from drums or other containers.
Most of my filters are DIY, and work well.
If U don't construct filtration, your koi might get sick and die. They will not grow too.
This hobby is fantastic.
U can see more on my face book page about my pond and filtration.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Let me know if I can be of any help.
BTW my Koi are so tame...that I can lift them out of the water with one hand without squizzing them, scratch their tummy...they give me " kisses" and I love them to bits!
Each one has a name and some come when I call their name.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL   filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptyThu May 03, 2012 9:34 am

Neli wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: Re: We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL   filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptyThu May 03, 2012 9:43 am

Admin wrote:
Neli wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
He he he!
I know?
Overactive imagination syndrome! Another disease associated with Koi!
I have one called Mama Chagoi she comes even when just fed....
Back to top Go down
sueq447

PostSubject: newbie   filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptyThu May 03, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi Neli
According to my calculations, my pond is 1800lt. I was told that the koi will only grow to the depth of the pond, and I think I generally have too many! lol
I have a huge 5000 UV filter thingy, plus a huge pump right now. One of the 'babies' actually came up to the shrimp biscuit I was holding yesterday and took a nibble! Today, I wasn't so lucky!
One of my koi (the one I purchased at the pet shop) doesn't look well - it's a 'butterfly' (I think) - lies on bottom of pond, but does get up and swim around - lethargically I might add. Its been in the pond since Monday. My other koi which were purchased on Saturday seem to be ok. The original '6' fish (5 are comets, 1 a koi) are totally fine.
I will definitely visit your facebook page. I have a lot to learn.
Sue
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: Re: We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL   filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptyThu May 03, 2012 5:57 pm

Darling
U need mechanical and bio filter. Your koi produce ammonia and it will kill or make your fish sick.
U can make filters from drums, but for now U need to do regular water changes...or your babies will perish.
Let me know if U found my drum filters for my intex pool, which is 10000 liters and I use it for my fry.
Like my page and post on the wall so I know who U are...I have too many members that I don't know.
Back to top Go down
sueq447

PostSubject: koi filters   filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptyThu May 03, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi Neli

I really appreciate your help. How often should I change water? (was changed on Friday last week); I will definitely go 'like' your page.

Regards
Sue
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

PostSubject: Re: We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL   filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL EmptyThu May 03, 2012 7:25 pm

I would change twice a week 10% or ones a week 25%.
Don't forget if U are using municipal water to add a chemical that removes the chlorine.
U can buy it from a pet or koi shop.
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL   filters - We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL Empty

Back to top Go down

We wanted a goldfish pond???? LOL

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1