The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
Dimilin Bead foam face clinofish babies growth baytril show cape food dropsy pumps dealers western small plant filter bubble salt pond shape 2011 SPOTS electricity plants
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Koi or Goldfish? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Koi or Goldfish? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Koi or Goldfish? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Koi or Goldfish? EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Koi or Goldfish? EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Koi or Goldfish? EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Koi or Goldfish? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Koi or Goldfish? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Koi or Goldfish? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Koi or Goldfish?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Koi or Goldfish? Empty
PostSubject: Koi or Goldfish?   Koi or Goldfish? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 1:53 pm

Chris posted the following and I often get this question. What do you say?

Hi there,

I know we all love koi and that being the reason why I need some help.

I moved from the farm to a townhouse in Centurion. Due to water pipes and a lack of a yard I could only build a pond 3m long x 1,5m wide x 1,2 m deep . I am well aware about the 66cm per 1000l of water "rule". I just want to enjoy my pond. Now the huge question, do I keep koi or goldfish?
Keeping koi will mean that I can only keep about 3 koi as I know how they can grow. Is it worth it keeping koi in such a small pond?

Any wise words for me?

Kind regards
Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Admin
Admin
Admin

Koi or Goldfish? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koi or Goldfish?   Koi or Goldfish? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 2:01 pm

Herewith one opinion:

How to Choose between Goldfish and KOI

by Brett Fogle

Many people have asked us over the years "Should I add goldfish or KOI (or both) to my pond? The answer is "it depends."

Goldfish are better suited to smaller water gardens and ponds, in the 50 - 500 gallon range. Goldfish are extremely hardy and easy to care for, which makes them the perfect choice for the new pond owner or water gardener.

KOI, on the other hand, require a little more knowledge and better water quality in most cases, than goldfish and are better suited to the more experienced pond keeper. KOI generally thrive best in ponds over 500 gallons (the bigger - the better.)

This is because KOI can grow quite large and therefore require more water in the pond for proper biological breakdown of waste. KOI are also more expensive (and harder to replace) than goldfish, so this should also be taken into account before filling your new pond full of KOI fish.

More considerations...

Goldfish are an excellent choice for the average water garden that is usually also full of a variety of potted plants. Lilies, Lotus, Iris, and submerged annuals - these all do well in a water garden pond with goldfish. Goldfish will not disturb the plants, and will enjoy playing around under the lily pads without disturbing the plants.

Japanese KOI on the other hand, and especially the larger ones, will often create a huge mess out of submerged potted plants. They seem to enjoy 'digging' in the soil of the plants and sometimes even knocking them over. This all leads to added mess in the pond, and can create a real problem for the pond owner.

Generally, it's best to not have submerged plants in large pots when also keeping KOI. The ideal KOI pond is much deeper than the average water garden, so the necessity for plants to help with water quality and shade is reduced.

However, if you still do want to keep potted plants in your KOI pond, we recommend wrapping netting over the tops of the pots, to keep the fish from digging in the pots. Another thing you can do is to top the pots with 1" of pea gravel, and then larger river stones or similar over that. The KOI will not be able to get past the larger rocks.

As far as mixing Goldfish with KOI, this is fine and very common, we've just tried to highlight the most important differences between the two and between the average water garden and KOI pond. Feel free to experiment with both, and then decide which fish is more to your liking.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Koi or Goldfish? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koi or Goldfish?   Koi or Goldfish? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 2:11 pm

My opinion:

People with Koi very seldom change to Goldfish.
People with Gold fish often change to Koi.

Ask yourself the question, Why?

Koi has got a greater personality, they look much better, they are more elegant, they appreciate in value more, they create a far bigger challenge, they are more interesting, the create a far better tranquility, they grow bigger.

After having Koi, I will never buy goldfish again.

With your 5000 liters, you can easily have 8 x 40 cm Koi.

If you purely want a small water garden with the emphasis on plants, go for Goldfish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Koi or Goldfish? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koi or Goldfish?   Koi or Goldfish? Empty

Back to top Go down

Koi or Goldfish?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1