The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
2011 foam filter shape SPOTS baytril growth dealers dropsy food small western plant Dimilin cape babies electricity pond salt face clinofish show Bead plants bubble pumps
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Colyn

Colyn

Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 10:39 pm

Thanks Paul ... I thought it was the Coprox. Looks like it is already getting a bit less.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.tripwired.co.za/index.php
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:41 am

Well there is a dramatic improvement in water clarity in the system. I can see the botom of the veggie pond clearly, the No #1 pond I can see the drain. This dam is around 1.6 meters deep. No #2 is over two meters deep and I can just make out the edge of the floor.

I am feeling a lot better ... on Sunday I could barely see the floor of the Veggie pond and that is around 1.2 meters deep.

Will post some shots later. I am now off to go and get the bulk of the material I need for the Tanks.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 9:39 am

Thursday morning and my water is crystal clear ... I can see the bottom of the deepest pond clearly. I am really happy. I still have a little foam but will do a good water change today and see what gives. Today the material is going into the big tanks and I will post details about it later.

Today the electrical work is being done and now I see some serious costs Smile

The goldfish in the veggie pond is looking very happy so I am thinking about getting 8 koi to split into two groups of 4 and go into the big ponds. Sort of scouts Wink for the big stocking process.
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 2:01 pm

Nice,

You know your ponds are going to go green very soon.
It is always good for a new pond to help with maturation process to let it stay green for about a month.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 5:28 pm

Yes Jaco ... the #2 and #3 was like peasoup till Monday.

Electrical work is done and pumps are no longer on leads Smile ... that is nice.

In general I am really a very happy man and the landscaping is coming along very nicely too.

Next phase will be to incorporate the bottomdrains into the system but after lots of discussions I have found a good way to do that.

The kois went in ... 8 per dam and they look very happy. Swimming around at all depths.

Tomorrow I should have some pictures.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 5:30 pm

This deserves a post ... 1,000 views Basketball
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 2:05 pm

Today I will post a series of shots that shows the components in my filtration system ...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The primary crushed rock filtration pack. The bags rests on a grid laid out with bricks to lift the rock
above the level of the transfer pipes.

The initial plants in the vegetation pond.

The chambers at the end of the vegetation pond. Here I want to get rid of as much solids as possible
before the water is pumped to the bio-filters. The final chamber before the pump pit will be
filled with brushes next week.

Veggie pond level back to normal. This pond also contains some gold fish at the moment.

Final water shunt if the system should overflow for some reason. The overflow will now be constraucted
to spill into a artificial bog where we will plant iris and vark ore so that the water does not go
to waste.

Sumps with water.

Primary inlet cascade.

Preparing the nylon netting sausages for the bio-tanks.

Now I have to wait for the bio-media to kick in and mature. The water condition is good for now and it improves by the day. I am sure I will get another algae bloom but I am not too concerned about that. There are signs that the vegetation is taking well and in the next week or so I will link the bottom drains into the system. Currently I use the bottomdrains to shed water only.

Comments are more than welcome.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 10:36 am

The 24th of July 2008 was an important day ... after almost two years the day finally dawned that I felt confident to place some Koi in my ponds. After lots of soul searching and weighing up the risks of bringing Koi in from various sources I finally decided to bite the bullet and get all my initial stock from one breeder.

On arriving at the farm I spent a long time just listening to the breeder and asking lots of questions. After telling him my story he was confident that the fish would be fine and he surprised me by offering me 16 fish for free to check the ponds.

After 3 days the fish are all eating and they look happy and healthy and very mobile, cruise on all levels of the ponds and feasting on the algae from the floor and walls ... so much that I have quite a lot of pieces floating in the ponds.

Stock pond ...

Selection ...

Arriving home ...

Well let us see what the future holds ... I think I am going to get my stock today.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 10:54 am

Wie is die dealer? Van die vissies lyk nogal goed veral in die tweede laaste photo.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 2:39 pm

Is die plante nog in potgrond? Kry die somer vir jou hiasinte, net nie sê ek sê so nie.
Vir 'n nuweling in ons hobby lyk dit glad nie sleg nie.
Welgedaan.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 6:14 pm

wayneb wrote:
Wie is die dealer? Van die vissies lyk nogal goed veral in die tweede laaste photo.

Sy volle besonderhede ... hy is 'n vriend van my broer en boer met die visse aan die oewer van die Krokodil rivier.

Madelief Visplaas ... 0824604817

Nicky Steenkamp.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 6:21 pm

Jaco wrote:
Is die plante nog in potgrond? Kry die somer vir jou hiasinte, net nie sê ek sê so nie.
Vir 'n nuweling in ons hobby lyk dit glad nie sleg nie.
Welgedaan.

Dankie Jaco ... ek is baie opgewonde en angstig. Op hierdie stadium is ek verlig omdat die meeste van die groot spoke waarvoor ek bang was is toe nie so erg gewees nie. Natuurlik sit ek nou met alge probleme maar dit sal weggaan mettertyd.

Die plante het baie min grond ... bulk in die bakke is kwarts klip en gruis. Dit lik asof almal nou gevat het en ek sien nuwe groei.

Ek het so paar hiasinte en die laaste paar dae sien ek dat almal so aantal nuwe suiers maak ... so binne a paar weke behoort my veggie dam redelik vold te wees.

Ek het ook a klompie waterslaai gekry en hulle behin ook nou nuwe plantjies maak.

Vandag het ek a bos "Amason Swords" gekry vir die waterval en dit lyk goed.

My volgende mission is nou om die bottom drains in die damme te inkorporeer. Die sement het opgedaag en ek sal seker so by Donderdag die fase begin.
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 1:55 pm

Colyn jy moet onthou dat jy jou dam kan besmet met bakterie en parasiete deur plante, veral as die plante uit water kom.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 10:47 am

Jaco wrote:
Colyn jy moet onthou dat jy jou dam kan besmet met bakterie en parasiete deur plante, veral as die plante uit water kom.

Yep ek verstaan en is versigtig met waar die goed vandaan kom.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 10:47 am

My stock of fish is now settled in and they are eating. As could be expected the after is turning quite green and now I have to wait for the biological process to get up to speed. Obviously one is anxious to get the water clear but truth is that the fish are more comfortable in the green water. The mechanical side of my filtration is now complete but I have lots of room over to add more if needed. All the plants appear to be settled in and I see signs of new growth.

This morning I can see signs of algae going brown in the vegetation pond. Apparently it is the first signs of things that are changing. I am also seeing brown and black streaks appearing in the algae growth on the pond walls and overflows.

Every Koi keeper most probably cherishes the moments of the first fish going into his pond and I am no different. Yesterday I placed to wedges of orange in each pond and the fish in pond #2 cleaned theirs' out and I can see signs of eating on the ones in pond #1. Pond #2 has a healthy algae population on the walls and pond #1 is only now beginning to show signs of growth on the walls. It is as if the fish in pond #1 is also getting more relaxed and I see them nibbling on the walls.

I will have to restrain myself from taking too many shots. The following is a collection of shots showing most of the fish. From now on I will try and get bigger shots of individuals. It will be a new field for me to explore with my camera.

To me the collection looks nice and I have seen a few individuals that looks great to my untrained eye.

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

The breeder that supplied me with fish visited my ponds yesterday and he is happy with what he saw. We are now doing the Bottom Drains and that should be done by next Friday.

Comments are welcome.
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 11:07 am

Those fish look very happy, but they would be even happier with good koi food.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:08 pm

Jaco wrote:
Those fish look very happy, but they would be even happier with good koi food.

What do you suggest ?
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:20 pm

Here are a few shots that I did with the 40D and 100-400 ... not there where I want it but in these shots you can see more detail of the fish.

The more I see the fish the more I see in the fish Wink ... there are some really good looking fish amongst the collection and currently my pictures cannot do them justice.

Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Eugen

Eugen

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:21 pm

get shogun,aquanutro or koi exellence or mix them, not those 2 colour goldfish food lol! .
Do You Like The Butterfly Koi's?
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:28 pm

Eugen wrote:
get shogun,aquanutro or koi exellence or mix them, not those 2 colour goldfish food lol! .
Do You Like The Butterfly Koi's?

Ok thanks I will go shopping ... problem is ... options are limited in Nelspruit.

Yes I love the Butterfly Koi ... they look really graceful. I have not seen big ones yet and this is the first hatch of the guy I bought it from. The parents were not in the tanks when I collected my fish.

Do you like them ?
Back to top Go down
Eugen

Eugen

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:55 pm

yeah they look nice but remind me to much of goldfish lol
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 10:40 am

Colyn from the looks of things you are a perfectionist.
Those koi are in good hands.
All the suggestions Eugen made are good.
Buy 20kg Shogun from Chris Neaves, he makes it, good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 2:38 pm

Jaco wrote:
Colyn from the looks of things you are a perfectionist.
Those koi are in good hands.
All the suggestions Eugen made are good.
Buy 20kg Shogun from Chris Neaves, he makes it, good stuff.

Thanks ... where is he stationed ?

I am seeing brownish algae forming on the spillovers and in the streams. The pond colours are also changing from very green to a more brownish green.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 9:51 am

The algae are eating me alive Smile ... I would like some tell tale signs to look for to know that the biological process is starting up.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 10:45 pm

The algae is currently the winners by far. Water clarity is getting worse by the day and visibility down is around 500mm. Many voices in my head are screaming for me to do something and do something quick. However the soft whisper of sanity is still in control. It is quite obvious that whatever I do now to clear the algae away will mostly be a case of handling and managing a symptom and not the cause.

The fish are looking very healthy and happy and I can see no signs of stress.

That brings me to a point that makes me smile ... as many of you may know, I am a serious photographer and I love long distance riding on my bike. Now the matter of what food for the Koi is like asking on the Photography forum which camera is the best or asking on the bike forum which bike is the best ... 10 guys, ten answers. Smile

Something I noticed this afternoon is that I am seeing a clear reduction in the amount of foam that is generated. I also noticed that all the plants in the pots are showing new growth and new shoots. The hyacinths are all forming lots of new suckers and I guess that by the end of September the whole veggie pond will be covered with a dense mat. I am also seeing lots of brown algae films forming under the stones in the river and on all the spillways. Some places a mat of green algae is busy forming on the brown and it looks quite healthy.

Today I covered the sumps with shade cloth to keep dust, leaves and sunlight out.

All I am going to do now is concentrate on the bottom drains and let nature go it's way. If the water does not clear up by the end of August I will re-evaluate my position and make a decision then. At this moment I want to stay true to my vision and try and get the whole system to be as low-tech as possible with the veggie pond as the heart of the system.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision   Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rhenosterkop Koiponds ... I have a vision

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Koi Forum :: Ponds and equipment :: Posts on pond building-