The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
plant foam babies face dealers dropsy plants shape SPOTS food pond Dimilin 2011 cape western filter clinofish growth baytril electricity pumps small salt show bubble Bead
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter Empty
PostSubject: How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter   How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 8:54 pm

I have got the second sand filter that starts to leak due to a hole/crack in the seam.

I fixed the first hole easily by drilling a large hole on that spot, and installed a tank connector with a screw lid on the connector. Quite handy, because I sometimes do backwashes using this opening by unscrewing the lid.

However, the hole on the other one is on the bend close to the top lid, and this trick will not work.

I have tried fiber glass, but because it is a plastic sandfilter, it only worked for a few days.

I have tried pratley steel, and that only lasted one day.

The normal glues can not withstand that pressure.

The water is still pissing out.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
angryant

angryant

PostSubject: Re: How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter   How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 9:11 pm

pual i dont know if it will work but we use wat we call a tinker plate when we fix holes in the bottom of a steal ship when they get a crack and it can hold hight presure , basicly you need a steal plate like a disc just bigger than the hole or crack the you drill a hole through the steal plate if were the crack is it is curved you shape the plate then get some 5mm rubber you need to put it in the inside with the bolt comming through were you would drill a hole the size of the bolt then a washer and a nut, if it is a crack you need to arrest the crack by drilling a small hole at the verry end of the cracks to stop then from running, call me and ill talk you through it, if it can stop water getting into a super tanker it will stop water getting out your filter.

hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter   How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 4:22 am

Hi Paul,
I doubt if you can fix that. Too much internal pressure. I think a swimming pool pump creates 1 bar pressure.

Some sand filters on the market expand when you turn on the pump and then contract when you turn the pump off. Eventually these can burst as this weakens the structure.

Have you tried the Collins sand filters? Their bodies seem to be far stronger than most other makes on the market.

Alternatively I wonder if the manufacturer can fix it for you.

Regards,
Chris
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter   How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 9:16 am

Hi Paul,

probeer Prostruct 617 ns van StonCor, deur dit aan die binne kant van die filter aan te bring.

StoneCor:
CAPE TOWN
33 Stella Road
Montague Gardens
Milnerton
Tel: +27 (0)21 551-7885
Fax: +27 (0)21 551-7888
http://www.stoncor.co.za/
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter   How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 11:29 am

Thanks for all the advice. Shawn's idea might interfere with the lid as the hole is very close to the lid, but makes sense. Almost what I achieved with the tank connector on the one.

Will try Pieter's Prostruct as I am on my way to Montague gardens this afternoon anyway. If it is a bit flexible and can sustain the pressure, it should work.

If it does not, I will have to follow Chris's advice of buying a new one, and use this one as a low pressure biofilter.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter   How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 9:44 am

Used the Prostruct and so far so good. Drilled a few holes along the crack for extra grip of the adhesive and applied inside and outside, binding together through the holes. Looks like superstrong stuff.

How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter Ston
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter   How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 10:19 am

Hi Paul,

Ek sien jy het "Generasl Purpose" gekry, die Pro Struct 617 ns is eintlik beter waar water betrokke is.

Quote :
Ns is a NON-SAG EPOXY ADHESIVE, Fibre reinforced gel and moisture insensitive during and after cure.

Hierdie good kan enige lekplek of kraak in 'n dam seel, en kan ook onder water aangewend word.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter   How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 1:39 pm

It lasted only three days and went further. Time to replace.

How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter Sandf
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter   How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 2:20 pm

Paul,

Se bietjie hoe oud is daardie sand filter!?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter   How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 2:32 pm

5 jaar en ander sandfilters het ek al vir 7 jaar. Dit blyk asof dit die groenes is wat probleme gee op die laste en al my swartes hou.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter   How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 2:38 pm

Paul,

het nog nooit van die groenes gesien nie. Ek gebruik die grys Quality Swembad filters, waarvan ek die "vingers" aangepas het, ook geen probleme nie. Alhoewel ek op 'n drie sak wat die Max. pomp grootte van ,75kW voorskryf, 'n 1,1kW gebruik.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter   How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 2:56 pm

Die groen en swart dromme word deur 'n polythylene fabriek in Montague gardens gemaak vir Speck Pumps. Hulle wil nie die dromme aan my verkoop nie weens 'n alleenmandaat kontrak met Speck Pumps, en Speck pumps wil weer nie net die dromme alleen verkoop nie.

Die groenes het 'n las, en die swartes is een stuk.

How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter Badu
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter   How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you fix a hole in a plastic sand filter

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Koi Forum :: General :: Chat - Koi related-