The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
pond plants clinofish SPOTS cape electricity foam dealers bubble show dropsy small western baytril face babies Bead pumps salt 2011 Dimilin plant filter growth food shape
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
barley - barley straw EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
barley - barley straw EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
barley - barley straw EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
barley - barley straw EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
barley - barley straw EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
barley - barley straw EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
barley - barley straw EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
barley - barley straw EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
barley - barley straw EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

barley straw

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gakes

barley - barley straw Empty
PostSubject: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 12:03 am

hi Chris
i read in one of your responses that you had great success with the use of barley straw. i have tried it for about 8 months and it did not work for me.maybe the way i used it was incorrect. i piled some loosely into pantihose ( lol new ) and kept it afloat by corking it and tying it at my venturi return lines for extra oxygen .any comments as to how it should be positioned in the pond if i did it incorrectly? all comments welcome from all koi lovers
thanks
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi,
I have been thinking about this posting. I wonder if the fact that the barley straw is inside a pantyhose is the problem.

The water cant flow through it and perhaps the barley straw went anaerobic? Did it smell when you took it out.

The barley straw works best when it is loosely packed in an orange bag and weighed down.

I tried an interesting experiment a few days ago.

I have not received my new barley straw yet. My pond was definitely getting a little hazy. The suspended algae was obviously growing again. So I took a few kilo of clay and placed it on the water fall quite high up on the stream.

The stream dissolved the bentonite gradually and the currents in the pond dispersed it. The pond went a nice milky colour. The next morning the pond was not clear.

Usually with such a dosage the pond takes about 12 - 18 hours to go crystal clear. Not this time. On the day after the clay treatment the water was still quite murky. On the second day the same. But on the third day the 40,000 liter pond was crystal clear.

So the bentonite had worked as a flocculent. And worked very well at a high dosage.

I know the clay has collected in the stringy algae on the wall sand floor but I don't mind. The koi are always rummaging in the algae for food and will certainly pick up some bentonite.

Chris
Back to top Go down
gakes

PostSubject: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 7:27 pm

hi Chris
thanks for responding but no the straw did not have a bad smell at all .what is the difference betw bentonite & montmorillnite and what are the advantages of bentonite if there is a difference
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Same thing different name.

Article by Chris:

http://www.triganic.com/Montmorillonite%20-%20Bentonite%20Clay.htm
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 4:37 pm

We are visiting my in-laws in Hartenbos and being a bit bored, with the weather not good, I went barley hunting. But all that I could find at the local Co-op is 50kg bags of barley seed for R160 per bag. Thought the price was good and we can transport it, but I suppose the straw is the thing what one needs? (Barlei is gars mos)

barley - barley straw IMG_2436

Any thoughts on this??
Back to top Go down
henkhugo

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 5:11 pm

We are pondering importing the MicrobeLift barley straw pellets and liquid extract - any takers?

http://www.microbelift.com/
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 7:01 am

I'm still unsure and have time to look around today before we go back tomorrow. Is barley "gars" of "gort"??
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 7:18 am

Hi,
I have a few bails of barley straw here at the house which came in a month ago.

If you need just give me a call, bring a few vegetable bags and you can have some.

The straw part is what works - if you want to brew beer in your pond use the seeds.

Henk the Barley Straw extract/concentrate liquid used to be available in 20L drums. Very expensive to use.

The importer stopped importing until the government made up its mind where to classify barley straw - i.e. a fertilizer or a pesticide.

Regards,
Chris
Back to top Go down
Jan

Jan

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 8:05 am

Albie
Ek dink Barley is Gort soos in sop.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 9:07 am

Sover ek dit het is Barley gars waarmee hulle onder andere bier brou en dierevoeding. Gort is vir menslike gebruik soos in sop.

Gort is eintlik gars sonder die skil?
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Jan

Jan

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 9:23 am

Volgens die Tweetalige Woordeboek is Paul reg.
Barley gars; gort (vir menslike voedsel)
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 9:24 am

My gort gars.

Jammer, kon dit nie weerstaan nie.
Back to top Go down
Anver

Anver

PostSubject: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Good Day
Where can i get some barley straw in Gauteng?
i did get some from
Chris Neaves and it worked well for me,unfortunetly he does not have at the moment .
Any help.
Thanks
Anver
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Uv lig is baie minder moeite. Wink Maar altwee sal werk.

Chris can you explain why barley straw works? What is in it that makes it works in other words.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za

PostSubject: Blanket W   barley - barley straw EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 7:54 pm

Ja. I have my doubts with barley straw myself - it just goes vrot and rubbishy. We have had FAR better results with Viresco which is a naturally occuring microbe that munches on nitrates, thereby completing the nitrogen cycle. No nitrates = no food for blanket weed and bob's your auntie. The benefits are numerous - zero nitrates = better quality water for your Koi. They eat more, grow faster and are generally healthier.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 12:19 am

Well, I got some barley straw from Chris more than a week ago.

I have had lots of string algae the past 2 months and not being at home all the time doesn't help. These algae kept on blocking the sand filter basket

I put one bag of straw in the water, 10 days ago, making sure that the water is circulating well through the straw. Currently it looks as if the water is clearing up- still not gin white, but I can see the bottom of the pond- nearly 1.8m deep, and there is much less string algae.

The rest of my system is running as usual- high pressure with a filter and a UV light and a low pressure, going through plants, biofilters, etc.

Hope this is doing the trick.

Comments would be welcome, as this is a controversial subject!!

Albie
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 11:11 am

My pond goes through the string algea problem every year usually around September. It lasts for about two weeks.

String algea are present in the water because the water conditions are perfect for it. Heat, nutrients and probably a filter that is not fully matured or working yet. I get it as my system is coming out of the winter and the filters are not 100% up and running yet.

In that time i just stop to feed and let the kois eat the string algea of the walls. Theres no place in my pond for barley straw.

A few years ago i purchased a plecostomus during that time and it ate all the algea in a matter of days but it grows from 10cm to 50cm in 6months. Mine died during the pond renovations while it was kept in the garage. They cant survive in water below 14'C.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 11:35 am

Hi Wayne
Yes unfortunately they wont make it up here our water goes down to as low as 9 deg.C.

I have not had a algea problem for a couple of years except of course for green walls and floor. Now all of a sudden I have lots of string algea everywhere.

In the past I think I automatically controlled the algea because I am using potasium about 2 to 3 times a year. (I do the everyday, 5 day one).

I have recently sprung a serious leak in my veggie filter (have patched it a few times and will fix it properly this time). It resulted in me havimg to add new water every second day about 5% of pond volume, not serious as I use a borehole and changing water is not bad.
What I did not realise is that I disrupted the cycle of the ponds ability to kill off new algea as Norm Meck wrote in one of his articals.

So much so for nature looking after itself till we interfere.
Back to top Go down
stumble

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 12:14 pm

I had a plecostomus in my first pond, he did a good job. They get huge.
Back to top Go down
Anver

Anver

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi Guys
I also had a problem with water clarity not so much so with string algae but with fine particles floating.
However i got some barley straw 3 months ago and i did see a difference in my water clarity.
The one thing i noticed is the barley straw starts getting less in the veggie bags as time goes by and it seems to look *vrot*.
Another product i have used is VIRESCO with great results,but its not cheap,10g to treat 25000lt at around R350.
The fish just seem more lively and hungry all the time.

Thanks
Anver
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi Anver,
I have barley straw if you need. And yes it must disappear over time.

Doing some research for the filtration module for the soon to be announced KOI Inc (an international koi training program) I looked up quite a number of papers that have been published on the use of barley straw in ponds.

All of them stated that for barley straw to work properly it needs an anerobic environment.

So if you are using barley straw then do not pack it too tightly in the bags or containers you are using and make sure the water flows through it to provide the oxygen.

Heavily packed bags etc will cause the inner part to become anaerobic

Chris
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 8:17 pm

Chris, what exactly make barley straw work?
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi Wayne,

Apparently when the barley straw bio-degrades it releases an enzyme similar to hydrogen peroxide. This inhibits the growth of algae. Note it does not kill the algae as some chemicals but inhibits the growth.

Some of the papers I looked through also suspect that certain plant phenols are also released which whack the algae. These phenols are also found in certain fruit peels – which is why I wanted to experiment with green ponds!

It is also interesting to keep in mind that once a pond has reached maturity and has that wonderful fur like algae growing on the walls and floor that the suspended single cell algae that makes the water pea green seems to disappear.

Whether it’s this fur like algae starving the single cell algae of nutrients or if this fur like algae also gives off something that inhibits the other algae from growing I do not know. But perhaps when the fur like algae starts to grow it inhibits the single cell algae to ensure it gets sunlight for its own photosynthesis.

So we need to ask ourselves have we seen a green pond that has fur algae?

Chris
Back to top Go down
Roykoi

PostSubject: Barley Straw   barley - barley straw EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi all
After I got advice from Chris when he visited the East London to use Barley straw I have been distributing the straw in the Eastern Cape ans seeing great success. My pond of 15ooo liters is running two months now with the UV light switched off. One of the worst green ponds was an open 75000 liter pea soup pond and after putting 8oo grams within three weeks the pond was and still is chrystal clear.

Thanks Chris

Roy
Back to top Go down
stumble

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:34 pm

Where can I get some from? I am in Durban.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: barley straw   barley - barley straw Empty

Back to top Go down

barley straw

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next