The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
dropsy filter salt western show babies dealers SPOTS small electricity cape foam shape clinofish Dimilin pumps Bead baytril 2011 growth food plants face plant pond bubble
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Silkworm Pupae EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Silkworm Pupae EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Silkworm Pupae EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Silkworm Pupae EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Silkworm Pupae EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Silkworm Pupae EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Silkworm Pupae EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Silkworm Pupae EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Silkworm Pupae EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Silkworm Pupae

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Silkworm Pupae Empty
PostSubject: Silkworm Pupae   Silkworm Pupae EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 10:40 am

I received this from Servaas De Kock... food for thought.

Silkworm Pupae

It is no secret that Japanese breeders use silkworm pupae extensively during the summer to grow and prepare their koi for the market. Likewise Japanese hobbyists use silkworm pupae to provide growth and improve body shape, colour and gloss in preparing their koi for shows.

Silkworm pupae have been the main source of animal protein for koi since the early days of koi culture in Niigata when it was typically mixed 50/50 with boiled barley and fed for about 8 months of the year in varying quantities. (Koshida, 1931) Nowadays Japanese breeders, who can afford the luxury, make pupae up to 30% of the daily diet they feed their growing Nisai and Sansai, They advise to feed it only when the water temperature is above 15 degrees C.

Silkworm pupae are a natural food containing more that 56% protein, rich in EFA*, vitamins and minerals. It is packaged by nature in an edible shell full of goodness. In the presence of present day manufactured koi food, it should be used as a
supplement to improve the health and condition of the fish. It is highly palatable and koi love it. It can also be used as a treat, since the shyest of fish in the pond will soon come forward to eat from your hand. (if his pond mates permit)

The warning that silkworm pupae are dangerous to the health of your fish is a myth propagated by the food industry. It stems from the general trend of fattening up koi to get them in show condition. Naturally overfeeding and obesity can lead to health problems, but that is precisely the reason koi should be put on a diet low in animal protein after the show and during winter months – to use up the fat reserves around the liver and in the belly. (The tendency to build up reserves in times of plenty with abdominal fat is a natural phenomenon that any keen fisherman or hunter can testify for.)

Sure the stuff are not cheap, but seen as a food supplement and a treat; the beneficial value of this time proven basic food source cannot be disputed (unless silkworms changed their recipe recently)

Servaas de Kock
AquaNet Consulting
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Sparkey

Silkworm Pupae Empty
PostSubject: Questions for Wayne B   Silkworm Pupae EmptyThu May 14, 2009 10:54 am

Hi Wayne

On your Aqua Master topic you said:

"I buy the Large growth pellet so i know its not eel pellets. I am currently feeding a mixture of foods including eel pellets thanks to the shortage. I am feeding a mixture of the following at the momment:

Aqua Master
Shogun
Eel Pellets
Rinukai
Silkworm papae
Prawns
Shrimps"

I am keen to give the silkworm idea a go.

Can you assist with the following please:

1. Where do you get yours?
2. What is the cost thereof?
3. How do you feed the pupae to the koi? Raw in the shell? Boiled? Do you grind them and mix with other foodstuff?

Thank you
Back to top Go down
Sparkey

Silkworm Pupae Empty
PostSubject: No response yet from Wayne B   Silkworm Pupae EmptyMon May 18, 2009 11:33 am

Can anybody else help me with the questions posted?

Please.

Surprised
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Silkworm Pupae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Silkworm Pupae   Silkworm Pupae EmptyMon May 18, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi Sparkey

I do not really know. Exclusive koi in Pretoria sells them and I know it is quite expensive. Maybe someone else can give us more info?
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
bobby

bobby

Silkworm Pupae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Silkworm Pupae   Silkworm Pupae EmptyTue May 19, 2009 1:04 am

Hi Sparkey
Christie at Cape Koi Aqarium had some the past 2 months. I was feeding a mixture of 70% Saki Hikari and 30% Silkworm Pupae. The koi loves this treat very much. I would imagine that this is a summer food and does not have a long shelf-life once opened.
Back to top Go down
Sparkey

Silkworm Pupae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Silkworm Pupae   Silkworm Pupae EmptyTue May 19, 2009 9:21 am

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Silkworm Pupae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Silkworm Pupae   Silkworm Pupae Empty

Back to top Go down

Silkworm Pupae

View previous topic View next topic Back to top