The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
shimmies western dealers cape Waterplants babies vacuum airlift SPOTS supaverm sealer List Bead Bobby media filter soragoi nexus dropsy disease pumps BLACK electricity pump lice spawn
Latest topics
» Help! What do o do with fry??
Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2018 11:52 am by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2018 10:58 am by atb tv

» Pump size relative to the rest of my equipment
Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2018 10:04 am by Bilaal

» Off the grid
Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2018 5:53 pm by GREGB

» Japan souvenir 2017 part 1
Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2018 12:59 pm by atb tv

» Ikeage 2017 of 80cm+
Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2017 1:58 pm by atb tv

» the ponds in 2017
Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2017 3:14 pm by atb tv

October 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Aqua Master shortage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
wayneb

wayneb

Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aqua Master shortage   Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 9:43 am

Gerald Buswell wrote:
I doubt you can get a 20kg bag but obviously in those quantities there would be a different priceing structure.
To be honest are we not splitting hairs with this debate, are koi really that far removed from carp, should people not rather be adding natural foods to their diet, snails, earthworms, shrimp, lettuce, etc?

I think the problem with those items are getting them and keeping then fresh and in big enough quantitities.

The items you mention are seen as treats these days.

Look i am willing to try anything once or even twice before i make a decision on it but at that price i am afraid the decision is made before purchasing it. 20kg koi food = Almost the same price as my house. Very Happy

I think there is a gap in the market for a local produced higher quality food. One that has diffirent sizes and types.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
koicare

koicare

PostSubject: Re: Aqua Master shortage   Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 9:46 am

I have often wondered about the Nutrient Composition and Amino Acid Ratio etc for snails...... they breed like anything..... they do not appear to have any really special requirement other than water..... ie; we do not actively really feed the snails we find in our ponds.... or filters..... they seem to find their own food.....

They can grow in fresh water..... I wonder whether long term something like this would not be a suitable food for koi.....

Chris - even done any research on snails? and the process required to turn them into Koi Pellets?
Back to top Go down
koicare

koicare

PostSubject: Re: Aqua Master shortage   Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 9:56 am

It is estimated that snail is 15% protein, 2.4% fat and about 80% water. This makes snail healthy alternative food for people with high protein low fat diet requirements. Besides, snail is high in health benefiting essential fatty acids such as linoleic acids and linolenic acids. A study on a snail species in Brazil estimated that 75% of the fat in snail is unsaturated fatty acids. That is 57% polyunsaturated fatty acids, 15.5% of monounsaturated fatty acids, and 23.25% of saturated fatty acids.

Nutrional value of snail
Table: list of nutrients and their content in raw, snail. Nutrient values and weights are for edible portion. The following nutrient data is obtained from the USDA National Nutrient Standard Reference, release 19 (2006).

Nutrional value of snail

Table: list of nutrients and their content in raw, snail. Nutrient values and weights are for edible portion. The following nutrient data is obtained from the USDA National Nutrient Standard Reference, release 19 (2006).
http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/snail-escargot.php
Above link includes a table on the nother nutrients....

Ok - I see that some snails are toxic (so far - the cone snail) - so be careful....
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aqua Master shortage   Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:07 am

The snail idea sounds good.

I am surprised to see how few hobbyists culture their own Daphnia. It is so easy to culture in your backyard, even with very limited space.

All they need is algae and a bit of extra food. Before spawning time, I culture my own, but being on a farm now, I am considering to culture them in large quantities throughout the year.

All they need is a constant supply of algae which is almost free to develop. I add some cow manure and yeast on a regular basis.

You can harvest right through the year if you add light to your daphnia ponds during winter to keep the algae going. You place the harvested Daphnia in a freezer in ice buckets filled with 50% water and 50% Daphnia, and feed from there.

The nutritional content of Daphnia varies with age, and what its been eating. The protein content is usually around 50% of dry weight. Quite the opposite from Artemia, adults normally have a higher fat content than juveniles, about 20-27% for adults, and 4-6% for juveniles. Some species have been reported to have protein contents exceeding 70%.

Something to think about if you need to bump up your protein levels cheaply.

Koi are not my whole life but make my life whole
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
koicare

koicare

PostSubject: Re: Aqua Master shortage   Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 1:31 pm

I have a receipe for Daphnia Food:

It is a teaspoon of crushed spirulina powder, a teaspoon of yeast and a teaspoon of soy flour - you mix that into 50 litres of water and feed the Daphnia the mixture every 3 days or so - just by pouring it into the dahnia tanks.... obviously use your discretion with how much you add - ie: tnak size and number of Dahnia.....

Then you get "super charged" Daphnia - when I breed Daphnia this is what I usually feed them.
Back to top Go down
henkhugo

PostSubject: Re: Aqua Master shortage   Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Just found this thread - Yea the omega food will be expensive - retailing around R300 per 1.1lbs.

I do have access to another VERY good koifood made in the USA but we are still looking checking if its going to to expensive once you add all the duties and freight etc to it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aqua Master shortage   Aqua Master shortage - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aqua Master shortage

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Koi Forum :: Koi Food / Nutrition :: Koi Food-