The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
growth baytril pond dealers babies foam plants western electricity food shape Bead bubble dropsy 2011 SPOTS white skin cape plant filter show face salt Dimilin pumps
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Pond leaking slowly EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Pond leaking slowly EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Pond leaking slowly EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Pond leaking slowly EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Pond leaking slowly EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Pond leaking slowly EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Pond leaking slowly EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Pond leaking slowly EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Pond leaking slowly EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Pond leaking slowly

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
albie

albie

Pond leaking slowly Empty
PostSubject: Pond leaking slowly   Pond leaking slowly EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 4:42 pm

My pond is slowly leaking- I need to add water every 2nd day.

I know the initial construction was very bad and the sides/bottom cracks relatively easily. And no, I do not have the money now to redo it!

Any advice to spot holes, without emptying the pond? I'm pretty busy at work now and going through the motions of getting a portapool now can wait a few months. I will let the water leak out and see if I can establish a level

Second question-If I do find a hole, is Pratley putty still ok to use?

Thanks
Albie
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: Pond leaking slowly   Pond leaking slowly EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 6:00 pm

Pratley Putty works great.
Maybe add some koi clay to help stop the leak.
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: Pond leaking slowly   Pond leaking slowly EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 6:52 am

Hi -
It must be standard setting putty. This sets underwater. Works very well.
Are you sure its the pond? Could be splashing from a water fall or fountain.
If you have a water fall check under the stones. Hair-line cracks develop here and that would be enough to drop the level of your pond.
Coprox works very well. Mix in with cement and paint on the wall / crack.
Have you tried letting you pond go down and keeping an eye on it. If the crack is somewhere on the walls the level will stop and you can trace around the water level to find it.
Regards,
Chris
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Pond leaking slowly   Pond leaking slowly EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 9:31 am

Hi Jaco and Chris

I found a spot yesterday afternoon and used the standard setting putty, but this morning, I saw that the level is lower -obviously not the correct spot!

I will mark a spot and see how much the water is falling per day and if it stops at some point/level.

I saw in the past that the "wall" is only 1 cm thick! Enough reason to develop holes. (We have been living here for 7 years, so I suppose the pond might might be 10 years old or older)

I suppose at some point I will need to redo the pond, but if one thinks of the cost, the bio filters, etc, I will need to wait a bit

Albie
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pond leaking slowly   Pond leaking slowly EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 11:16 am

Quite often your "pipe works" is the culprit. Mark the level, close the entry of water to your pumps and filtration, and see if the level drops. If not, you know that there is a leak on your connections/filters.

If it still leaks, you will have to leave it (without adding any water) to see up to which point the level drops. This will indicate where the leak is. You might have to provide alternative circulation if your filter feeds from a skimmer.

As Chris indicated, it is often your waterfall. Bypass the waterfall and see if the level drops.

You also have to consider the possible effect of evaporation. Place a bowl filled with water up to the same level of the pond inside the pond. (On a step or something) If the level of the pond drops beyond the level of the bowl, you know that it is not purely evaporation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Pond leaking slowly   Pond leaking slowly EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 6:18 pm

I stopped the waterfall from running and had a good look at the pipes that I can see- but it still dropping, 4cm a day (see white chalk lines). Volume of the pond is 8500l.

Will let it drop and see if or when it stops. (Had to fill it up over the weekend, because we had guests!)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Is there no 'boereraat'/quick solution to find a hole??? Probably not!
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Pond leaking slowly   Pond leaking slowly EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 3:55 pm

Someone suggested that I switch the pump off to check if all the pipes are ok.. The water temperature is 19 degrees Celsius. Will there be enough oxygen overnight to switch the pump off?

I use a Venturi, but cannot measure O2 levels. If the pump is off, I cannot run the waterfall.

(Pieter, you have seen my pond, do you think it will be ok?)
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Pond leaking slowly   Pond leaking slowly EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi Albie

I have lots of experience from my leaky pond (Not something i like to brag about) No Seeing as you have quite a "big" leak i think you can run tests in 6 hour checks. 6 Hous sound long but these tests can shortcut the time it takes to find a leak. The alternative is to leave it and wait, wait....until it stops.

Please post a photo of your pond and describe its workings like number of suctions lines, return lines, filters ect...

First thing - use a log book because you will get confused and wont remember what the readings was when you did this or that. These test will propably have to happen over a couple of days unless you are awake for the next 6 hours from each test.

You have to determin if the leak is helped on by the pump or not.
1. Fill up the pond upto its normal level and mark it.

2. Switch off the pump off for 6 hours. After 6 hours check the level again. If it dropped measure with how much and write it down.

3. Refill the pond upto the full mark. Now switch the pump on for 6 hours. If it drops mark the level and measure.

4. Compare the two. If you had no leaks at (2) then its on your pump line somewhere. If you had more water loss on (3) than on (2) then you have a leak on both the pond and the pump lines.

To determin if your water feature is leaking

1. Fill pond to full mark and take level.

2. Let it run for 6 hours with only the waterfall on.

3. Take level.

4. If it dropped refill the pond to full mark. Bypass the water feature by extending the pipe that drops the water on the water feature and take it directly to the pond. I find that the swimming pool type kreapy crawly pipe works very well for this.

5. Now with the waterfall bypassed let it run for 6 hours and then check the level.

6. if it still leaked the same amount then its not the feature but might be the pipe feeding the waterfall that leaking.

Now to determin if your bottom drain line is leaking..

1 . Buy a 110ml plug from a hardware store its a device that looks like a trolley wheel but the wheel is made of rubber. On the back of the wheel is a screw as you tighten it the rubber wheel gets expenanded. You need to dive down put that in the 110ml pipe of the bottom drain - tighten it enough so no water can get pass it.

2. If you have a settement chamber empty it and check that no water comes in via the bottom drain line.

3. Wait 6 hours and check level - if it drops then its not your bottom drain . (Depending on how well you thightened the plug)

To determin if one of your underwater return lines are leaking

This test can also be used for testing most devices installed in the walls of a pond likes skimmers, lights, mid suction lines, under water return lines.

1. Fill the pond to about 2 cm above the water return and mark it.

2. Switch off the pump and wait 6 hours.

3. Mark and measure.

4. If the water level dropped then remove water out of the pond until the water no longer touches the return line. It must be just-just below it.

5. Leave for 6 hours.

6. If the level dropped then your leak is lower down. If it stopped leaking then you propably have a leak on that return.

To determin if your gravity fed settlement chamber or vortex is leaking.

1. Switch the pump off.

2. Using a stand pipe or some device block the incoming lines off.

3. Block the suction lines off.

4. Mark the level and Leave for 6 hours.

5. Check the level.

Remember you can have leaks on several of these places and they can all be addin to the your big leak.

Also remember that if the leak is lower down on your pond it will slow down (leak less) the closer you get to it as there wont be as much pressure on it. So this can cause you to think that there is a leak on a device even though there is not.

I hopes these tests help for now. Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za

PostSubject: Re: Pond leaking slowly   Pond leaking slowly EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 12:14 pm

Hell Wayne,

you covered everything, you should send it to KOISA for publication!

Albie,

Quote :
Pieter, you have seen my pond, do you think it will be ok?)

I suggest you use an air-blower while the pump is off.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Pond leaking slowly   Pond leaking slowly EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 3:16 pm

Dankie Pieter! Very Happy Dis klaar 'n artiekel op KoiAdventures.
Shortcuts to try and find leaks in a pond
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Pond leaking slowly   Pond leaking slowly EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 5:34 pm

Thanks Wayne

I have started this afternoon!
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Pond leaking slowly   Pond leaking slowly EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi Albie

I suggest you follow the article on koi adventures as the one in forum is very badly written and does not have all the test.

Hope you find the leak.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pond leaking slowly   Pond leaking slowly Empty

Back to top Go down

Pond leaking slowly

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1