The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
filter foam clinofish plant food growth pond face cape SPOTS plants Bead 2011 pumps Dimilin salt show baytril small dropsy electricity dealers shape western bubble babies
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Dosages of the most common medication EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Dosages of the most common medication EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Dosages of the most common medication EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Dosages of the most common medication EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Dosages of the most common medication EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Dosages of the most common medication EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Dosages of the most common medication EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Dosages of the most common medication EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Dosages of the most common medication EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Dosages of the most common medication

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Dosages of the most common medication Empty
PostSubject: Dosages of the most common medication   Dosages of the most common medication EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 9:23 pm

DOSAGES AND NOTES ON THE MOST COMMON MEDICATION:

Salt:
1.7 kg / 1000 litres (normal conditions) (6 cups)
1.3 kg / 1000 litres(if you have plants that might be affected by salt)
2.6 kg / 1000 litres (during minor health problems) (9 cups)
5 kg / 1000 litres (max during major health problems) (18 cups)
1.7 kg / 100 litres (dip for 10 minutes max - ulcers/parasites) - monitor carefully and if the fish flips over, stop treatment immediately.

Potassium Permanganate:
Aerate the water as much as possible, because it might deplete the water from oxygen
Popular disinfectant and treatment of almost all parasites including Fluke, excluding Leaches and Anchor worm.
It is also very effective against external bacteria and a good treatment for fungus.
Will affect your beneficial bacteria in your filter dramatically.
Although it is extremely effective, it should be used only by experienced Koi keepers as it is quite dangerous and over dosage is normally fatal.
2.65 g / 1000 litres (0.45 teaspoons) If the water turns brown within 30 minutes, you have a lot of organic materiel in the pond. Add one more treatment immediately at 0.3 teaspoons/1000 litres. Repeat treatment two days apart until the water stay pink for at least 8 hours and do a 20% water change a day after each treatment.
If you have too many organic matter in the pond, Potassium is not the right option.
Follow treatment up a week later to treat the newly hatched parasites because the initial treatment would not have killed the eggs or unborn parasites in the case of live bearing parasites.

Malachite Green:
Do not use with salt
Treatment of Leeches, Fish Louse, Anchor worm, White Spot, Trichodina, Chilodonella, Epistylis and Costia, but not Fluke.
Very effective if used in conjunction with Formaldehyde(called F.M.G Mixture) in serious cases.
Good preventative treatment for eggs during breeding(0.2mg/litre or 200 mg/1000 l)
Normal dosage: 1 g / 10 000 litres

Methylene Blue:
Can be used with salt.
Once very popular medication for bacterial, fungal and parasitic infections, but not effective against Fluke or Anchor worm.
Recommended treatment for fungal infections.
It is now used less frequently as it is slightly toxic to plants and can wipe out the beneficial bacteria in a bio filter.
1-2 g / 1000 litres

Dipterex:
This is an insecticide normally used for catterpillars and marketed by Bayer as such.
Very effective treatment for Anchorworm and Fish Louse.
Can be dangerous if used in water above 20 degree Celsius.
Can cause spinal injury.
10 g / 10 000 litres

Dimilin:
Recommended treatment for Anchor worm and Fish Louse and safer alternative for Dipterex.
10 g / 10 000 litres

Acriflavin:
Acts as a disease preventative as well as a general tonic.
Highly successful treatment of velvet.
Extremely effective in the prevention of egg fungus and disease
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
PeterP

PostSubject: Re: Dosages of the most common medication   Dosages of the most common medication EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 11:28 am

Can anyone tell me where I can get hold of Dipterex, I have tried numerous places. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dosages of the most common medication   Dosages of the most common medication EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 11:39 am

PeterP wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can get hold of Dipterex, I have tried numerous places. Thanks

It is actually an insecticide distributed by Bayer. I used to get it from Mica hardware stores. I still have a lot available if you are interested, alternatively just use Dimilin which is a safer product for anchor worm(but more expensive).
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dosages of the most common medication   Dosages of the most common medication Empty

Back to top Go down

Dosages of the most common medication

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Koi Forum :: Koi health and diseases :: General diseases / injuries-