The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
cape shape face skin Dimilin western dropsy plants 2011 filter baytril Bead pond dealers foam electricity babies salt plant pumps food SPOTS white growth show bubble
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Study shows effects of KHV vaccine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

Study shows effects of KHV vaccine Empty
PostSubject: Study shows effects of KHV vaccine   Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 1:28 pm

"The vaccine is also unlikely to confer protection on the fish longer than six months, making it inadequate long term protection."

See full article here - http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1728
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: Study shows effects of KHV vaccine   Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 5:32 pm

Hi,
Viruses are a problem for life on this planet. Scientists cannot agree if viruses are actually alive or not.

We are familiar with HIV/AIDS and flu viruses as examples. We also know there is no known cure for any virus.

A vaccine for a particular strain of flu may be developed this year but next year it mutates and we all get flu again.

I had a long chat to Ray Jordan from the USA at the national Koi Show this year. It was interesting to hear the views being expressed on KHV in America where a great deal is been spent on KHV research.

For example: Some weird infections where it was not expected. During other tests they could not figure out where the infection was coming from. Some researchers suspect there may be an intermediate host to the KHV - perhaps in the sludge or snails or some other organism.

However, inview of the above posting - a question - how do they vaccinate koi?

Perhaps an importer or someone with experience can tell us.

Regards,
Chris
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Study shows effects of KHV vaccine   Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 10:45 am

I believe to vaccinate koi is dangerous, especially in view of the fact that there are so many unknown factors involved.

Previously, the Israelis (only country who vaccinate their koi as far as I know) injected the koi with a weakened khv virus and then put the fish through a heating program which makes that specific koi immune. The problem is, that fish will still be a carrier and I believe it might infect other koi and spread the virus worldwide.

This procedure caused a lot of criticism. They now allege that they do not use this procedure anymore, but it is not very clear which procedure they do follow. Is that not a cause for concern?

The other problem with vaccines in my view is that no vaccine will last for ever. It have to be re-administered, and can you really allow the import of the vaccine into our country and allow hobbyist to re-administer the vaccine from time to time? The vaccine contains the virus, and that would be playing with fire.

As Chris said, the virus is not stable and change all the time and mutates. Sooner or later the virus might affect other species also, and just think about the disastrous effect that it might have on our natural rivers and dams.

I just think that a vaccine is not the way to go, and I will never import vaccinated koi from Israel, or actually any koi from Israel.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: Study shows effects of KHV vaccine   Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 12:10 pm

Question: if you are export thousands and thousands of koi how do you inject each one with the required dose of vaccine?
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Study shows effects of KHV vaccine   Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 1:24 pm

I dont know to much about all these biological \ medical stuff but i assume that they are exposing the fish to some version of KHV which allows the fish develop anti-bodies...some die , some will live and then they either sell or breed with the once that has developed a resistance.
Back to top Go down
rob

PostSubject: Israeli koi   Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 1:29 pm

I see koi from Israel from time to time at dealers in and around Cape Town. Can't see why people want to buy them - they are crap, according to me. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Study shows effects of KHV vaccine   Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 4:04 pm

Maybe the koi needs to be Kosher.
Back to top Go down
verynewtokoi

PostSubject: Re: Study shows effects of KHV vaccine   Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 1:31 pm

A guy I know bought one of these koi a showa, to be exact, with a very nice patern around 4 to 5 years ago.... the only problem is the koi has still not reached 20cm in length Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

PostSubject: Re: Study shows effects of KHV vaccine   Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptySat May 16, 2009 9:59 am

Does anyone have more info about the KHV vaccine and studies on KHV by Professor Ronald Hardy and the Henderson-Morley Company?

I think most of the answers you will find in the previous posts, and no easy solution to the problem. Viruses are here to stay. People will find cures for certain viruses but at the same time ‘something new will be around’, a continues battle and little success.

http://www.henderson-morley.com/koi_herpes_vaccine.htm
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Study shows effects of KHV vaccine   Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
David Coetzee

David Coetzee

PostSubject: Re: Study shows effects of KHV vaccine   Study shows effects of KHV vaccine EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 7:18 pm

yup, thats the problem with the israeli fish, speckledy goi.
Mostly food grade fish.

They are from unestablished bloodlines so there is absolutely no way one can predict the way they are going to turnout.

Also being of inferior bloodlines they will also be "finished" already when you buy them, so what you buy is what you get, no future potential and development.

Then the whole KHV innoculation thing is a crock.
Have we found a cure for the various herpes virus's in humans? No.

They have made even less progress on fish, once infected always a carrier.

I will not and do not buy from dealers that stock israeli fish.
Saw a very nice Kujaku at a dealer nearby here, the price was right, i had the money saved up, but on enquiry i was told they also have israeli fish in stock.

I never bought the fish and won't touch that dealer with a barge pole, EVER again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Study shows effects of KHV vaccine   Study shows effects of KHV vaccine Empty

Back to top Go down

Study shows effects of KHV vaccine

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Koi Forum :: Koi health and diseases :: KHV-