The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
cape babies clinofish SPOTS bubble plants dealers show pond face small baytril Bead western foam shape food dropsy electricity 2011 pumps salt filter Dimilin growth plant
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Gill Flukes EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Gill Flukes EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Gill Flukes EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Gill Flukes EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Gill Flukes EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Gill Flukes EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Gill Flukes EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Gill Flukes EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Gill Flukes EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Gill Flukes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chris Neaves

Gill Flukes Empty
PostSubject: Gill Flukes   Gill Flukes EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 6:52 am

An interesting experiment done by some years ago by Dr. M. Faisal of the University of Alexandria in Egypt. In holding ponds with fish caught directly from the Nile he counted the number of parasites on sections of the gills of fish before and after treatment with various substances used to control gill flukes.

Over a period of a year Dr. Faisal examined a total of 1261 fish. The fish were caught at various times throughout the year and an examination of their gills was made. Sample tissue removed was examined and the number of gill flukes counted. The fish were then treated with various chemicals used at different strengths and timings. The more common chemicals that we come into contact with and use are listed below. One week later a further gill examination was carried out and the parasite population was counted again.

This is the basic summary of his results.

1. Sodium Chloride (salt) used at a 2.5% concentration for 10 mins. killed 62% of the gill parasites with in a week of treatment. (i.e. 2.5Kg course salt per 100l)

2. Potassium Permanganate at 0.2% for 5 mins. Killed 80% of the parasites within a week of treatment. (i.e. 2g/l)

3. Trichlorofon (Neguvon/Dimilin) at 5ppm for 30mins. Killed 83% of the parasites within a week of treatment. (i.e. 0.5g per 100l).

4. Formalin at 50ppm for 24 hours killed 70% of the parasites within a week of treatment. (i.e. 5ml per 100l).

5. Masoten at .25ppm for 24 Hours killed 90% of the parasites within a week of treatment. (i.e. 0.25g per 1000L).

It is interesting to note that a further count was done a month later to check the long term effects of the chemicals. Using the low level of parasites left after treatment as a basis, there was a slight increase in the gill parasite population on the fish that were treated with salt and Potassium Permanganate. However, in the cases where Neguvon, Formalin and Masoten were used, there was a further decrease in the gill parasite population.

Dr. Faisal records his summary thus: "The results show clearly the high efficiency of Masoten in the treatment of Macrogyrodactylus (Gill Fluke) infection in the treated fish. The advantage of Masoten is that concentrations used in the experiment could also be applied in the treatment of fish kept under pond conditions. Besides the Masoten did not disturb the feeding of the fish. Trichlorofon and Naled were also very effective against the worms in the concentration and duration of treatment tested, however, the few surviving monogeneans may constitute a potential hazard of re-infection as the fishes are known to be more susceptible to re-infection following treatment"

Regards,
Chris
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Gill Flukes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gill Flukes   Gill Flukes EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 10:41 am

Hi Chis, interesting study.

I have noted that they seperated Trichlorofon from Masoten with different results.

I thought they are basically the same product.

Trichlorofon as far as I know are purely being marketed under various brand names, being Masoten, Dipterex, Dylox, Proxol, Fluke tabs etc, but the active ingedient remains Trichlorofon??
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za

Gill Flukes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1