The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
western foam baytril plant electricity salt 2011 pond bubble plants babies cape show SPOTS Bead shape Dimilin skin growth dealers filter food white face dropsy pumps
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Ulcer at koi's mouth

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
albie

albie

Ulcer at koi's mouth Empty
PostSubject: Ulcer at koi's mouth   Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 5:59 pm

I need urgent help. I bought this fish about 6 weeks ago and notice this big sore today (been away from home this week)
Ulcer at koi's mouth DSC01155
Ulcer at koi's mouth DSC01156
Ulcer at koi's mouth DSC01157

Water temperature is 13 degrees. All my other fish are healthy. I haven't tested the water parameters. I do not use salt in the pond.

I need urgent advice on treatment please!!

Albie
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ulcer at koi's mouth   Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi Albie

A sore at the mouth like in this case is an indication of Aeromonas bacterial infection, and it often occurs after new fish has been introduced without proper quarantine procedures but is also caused by bad water conditions. You should test your water.

First of all you should isolate the fish to prevent infection of the other fish in a hospital tank. Because it is very cold at this stage, it will be a very good idea to heat the hospital tank. (At least 200 liter but ideally 1000 liters) The immune system of the fish are very low because of the cold weather and will heal much faster if the tank is heated.

Now you have do topical treatments of the wound itself. You can use Potassium paste, Malachite green(undisolved), methialite or Mercurochrome. Cover that with Friars balsem to waterproof or seal the treated wound and blow it almost dry before putting the fish back into the water. This you should do at least every two days.

Now you have to treat with potassium until your are able to maintain pink water for between 6 and 8 hours. It might require 4 or even 5 treatments over a period of 10 days. Potassium treatments have been discussed in detail under the bacterial section.

Increase your salt level in your pond and hospital facility to 5 kg / 1000 liter. Monitor the fish in your main pond carefully. If you see any other fish in the main pond starting with the same reaction or fin rot(which normally goes hand in hand), do the potassium treatment also in the main pond.

As a last resort, baytril antibiotic injection are normally very effective against aeromonas infection. See dosages under the heading baytril.

Last edited by Admin on Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Ulcer at koi's mouth   Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 10:51 am

Hi Paul

Thanks for your comments. Will have the water tested this morning and post the results.

My first problem is the hospital tank. The only big container I have now, is a 40 l bucket, I suppose that is totally to small, but the fish is only 12cm long- can I use it with close supervision from my side? I have good air pumps (I know I should invest in a QT tank!)
Ulcer at koi's mouth DSC01158

Secondly, I am not sure how to mix potassium paste; you state in your site "If Ulcers and/or fin rot already appeared, make a paste with potassium permanganate and water and apply directly onto the wound." Do I just mix the PP with a drop of water?

If I add salt to my main pond, wont it hurt my water plants? I am very scared of PP in the big pond, because previously it caused havoc with my bio filters.

I do have Baytril - will it hurt to give a 0.1ml shot?

Thanks
Albie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ulcer at koi's mouth   Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 11:29 am

Hi,

With my experience this Koi can’t eat with a mouth like that, if you manage to stop the infection it will take about 2-3 months to heal.
The Koi is only 12cm and to be with out food that long it will die! (Not enough fat)
If however it does stay alive, the mouth will never heal properly, and the fish could battle to eat in future and it will leave a scar.

Safe yourself the trouble and put it out!

Sorry.
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Ulcer at koi's mouth   Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 2:37 pm

Hi everyone

I started with treatment before I saw your post Pieter and since I'm at home for the next week, I might as well carry on and see what happens. I bought the fish at Sandton Aquatic, paid R200 for what looked like a very nice Utsuri- from a novice's eye!

My water tests are good, no nitrite, nitrate or ammonia. pH at 8.

I put the fish in the small bucket with hopefully sufficient air and a water heater set at 23 degrees. I added the PP paste and Friars balsam to the wound. I also injected her with 0.1ml Baytril.

Will wait and see and ?? will need to put her down
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Ulcer at koi's mouth   Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 6:25 pm

The fish died this pm- perhaps for the better. Any advice on precautions to be taken with the other fish?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ulcer at koi's mouth   Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi Albi, maybe it is the best result. I often try to heal a fish like that knowingf that it is probably a lost case, all for the experience thereof. But to be realistic,, like Pieter said, if a bacterial infection went that far on a small fish, the best is to cull it. Especially if it is only 12 cm.

This fish was probably exposed to bacteria it was not immune to and with all the stress of a new pond, not ideal conditions at the dealer, transport thereafter, cold weather, no quarantine procedures by you, and in general a low immunity this time of year, an infection was almost inevitable.

Never consider not to quarantine, and remember, winter is not the best time to introduce new fish.

Monitor your other fish carefully, and act immediately should you suspect problems.

If you have a lot of plants, you should still be able to increase the salt concentration to at least 3kg/1000 without ruining the plants.

I increase my salt levels everytime I suspect problems eg, introducing new fish, start of summer, after cleaning of filters, disease on any fish etc. Even if you have to remove some of the plants temporarily.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Ulcer at koi's mouth   Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 9:45 am

Thanks Paul for the advice. Will add salt today.
(Must say, when we injected the fish, my finger made a dent on the fish and I thought she was swollen??) So perhaps the sepsis has been affecting the body already.
Well, that's how we learn, isn't it
Albie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ulcer at koi's mouth   Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 11:10 am

Hi,

Bad luck, but for the best!

First I would like to mention that it is not advisable to inject any fish smaller then 30cm. Rather, use antibiotics added to the water or food.

This type of infection is caused by FLAVOBACTERIUM COLIMNARE also konwn as Flexibacter columnaris and is a bacterium which can cause a few number of conditions to Koi.
Normally associated with warmer water temperatures of 15*C plus.

Should these bacteria or the bacteria AEROMONAS HYDROPHILA be active in your pond water you may follow Paul’s advice or look see at

http://southafricankoi.11.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=40

If there is a sand filter in your system, you should clean it thoroughly by opening the filter and stir the “sand” inside while you backwash the filter until the water is clear. A sand filter is one of the best “hosts” of bad bacteria if not kept clean
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Ulcer at koi's mouth   Ulcer at koi's mouth EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I added 25kg salt to the pond, which will give me a concentration of just less than 0.3%. I have checked and rechecked the other fish, and they look fine?!!

I do have a sand filter, but have added gravel to the "koi" sand and as a routine, I backwash and stir every weekend.

So hopefully this is a once-off event.

My next question then would be, where can I buy a nice Utsuri after the winter is over- not show quality, but good quality- this one was suppose to be imported!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ulcer at koi's mouth   Ulcer at koi's mouth Empty

Back to top Go down

Ulcer at koi's mouth

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1