The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
baytril plant skin bubble filter cape dealers Bead shape dropsy SPOTS face pumps show babies salt growth Dimilin food pond foam electricity plants white 2011 western
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
What do you think EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
What do you think EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
What do you think EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
What do you think EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
What do you think EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
What do you think EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
What do you think EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
What do you think EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
What do you think EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

What do you think

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Charl Jacobs

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: What do you think   What do you think EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Got this one yesterday. It is 520m. Is it a female?
Back to top Go down
Charl Jacobs

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Sorry. Thought I had the photo thing sorted out. (and is was 520mm)
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 2:52 pm

Where"s the photo?
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
quinten

quinten

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 3:18 pm

wayneb wrote:
Where"s the photo?

Basketball Basketball Basketball Basketball
Back to top Go down
Charl Jacobs

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 7:48 am

Sorry Wayne
I am struggling with the photo thing. I will try again today. I am a bit IT challenged and my work computor is so old, you have to reboot it every time you want to use the printer. This koi is a Ochiba Shigure and I WOULD REALLY like an honest opinion.
Back to top Go down
Charl Jacobs

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 9:21 am

What do you think Dsc06414
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 2:37 pm

OK!
As much as I can see from the picture:
Body ???? tail tube a bit small, and the shape of the body is narrowing towards the tail, too rapidly.
nice skin quality and reticulation.
No pattern on the head and some on the tail tube and tail fin...
Still a nice Koi.
Back to top Go down
Charl Jacobs

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks Neli
Appreciate the comments. That's how we novices learn. Now I know what to look for in this breed.
Regards
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 8:54 pm

A very nice pond koi. I like the netting on the scales.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
Neli

Neli

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 7:19 am

U need to decide what Your objectives are. Do U want to keep show quality Koi in order to show, or just pretty pond fish to enjoy.
This is a pretty pond fish as Wayne said.
Back to top Go down
Charl Jacobs

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 7:48 am

I enjoy sitting next to the pond enjoying to watch the individual koi. I am not going to show koi. I started with koi way to late in my life. By the time I would have some knowledge and be interested in shows, i'll need a wheelchair. We have a keelboat, deepsea rubberduck etc. It is only now that the age is catching up, that we started with koi (by accident.)

Thanks for the feedback. Grumpy bought me this koi as a surprise. Always nice to see what others think of a koi.

Could I be a pain and ask for some advice. I have koi that flas now and then but only late afternoons. My Ph meter was reading too high. Itis now calibrated. It is around 7.8 in the mornings and 8.2-8.4 in the afternoons. Ammonia, Nitrites etc is very very low. Pushed salt to .10. Any ideas?
regards
Back to top Go down
Miya Oki Koi

Miya Oki Koi

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 9:22 am

Decent skin quality on this Ochiba, its actually a pity the pattern didn't work out for this fish. Tail tube a bit on the thin side. Have to agree with the other comments- Very nice pond fish, enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
quinten

quinten

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:29 am

Very nice Ochiba Charl , Very Happy

PLs keep us uptodate as the koi grow.

Regards
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:45 am

Charl Jacobs wrote:
I enjoy sitting next to the pond enjoying to watch the individual koi. I am not going to show koi. I started with koi way to late in my life. By the time I would have some knowledge and be interested in shows, i'll need a wheelchair. We have a keelboat, deepsea rubberduck etc. It is only now that the age is catching up, that we started with koi (by accident.)

Thanks for the feedback. Grumpy bought me this koi as a surprise. Always nice to see what others think of a koi.

Could I be a pain and ask for some advice. I have koi that flas now and then but only late afternoons. My Ph meter was reading too high. Itis now calibrated. It is around 7.8 in the mornings and 8.2-8.4 in the afternoons. Ammonia, Nitrites etc is very very low. Pushed salt to .10. Any ideas?
regards
It should not be the PH...My PH used to go to 9 and over and was like that for a year...my fish dont flush and are OK.My source water has PH8.5...
Do U have QT?
If U dont QT your new fish U might bring parasites in the pond...U need to take a scrap and check.
Where are U?
How much is your KH? Do U have lots of algae in the pond?
How old are U? Is never too late for Koi. Koi is the best hobby for older people...like me....he he he!
U must feel free to ask any questions...when U have a problem is better to open a new thread.
Back to top Go down
Charl Jacobs

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 1:21 pm

Firstly, thanks for all the feedback.
Neli, this Ochiba came in on Sunday. I've had the flashing since they had flukes.
Did the treatments as suggested by the forum. On Saturday we had two fish checked and both were clean of parasites. The puzzling thing is that they only flash late afternoons and only one or two or so.(and also not the same ones. I bought a Celestron microscope (the one with the screen) so we will check them as we go along. The KV reading was 4 (cant remember 4 what). See, old age again. hie hie. I do have string algae but it is not that much. Maybe I should get rid of it altogether?
We live in Benoni (yeah..that Benoni) ha ha. I am 54 with the memory of a person twice my age. The difference between us is our budgets. I saw your photos and it looks fantastic. I have a son that is training to be a pilot. Tried giving him away, but nobody wants him. ha ha
Will remember to open new threads for different subjects - Thanks
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Charl Jacobs wrote:
Neli, this Ochiba came in on Sunday. I've had the flashing since they had flukes.
Did the treatments as suggested by the forum. On Saturday we had two fish checked and both were clean of parasites. The puzzling thing is that they only flash late afternoons and only one or two or so.(and also not the same ones. I bought a Celestron microscope (the one with the screen) so we will check them as we go along. The KV reading was 4 (cant remember 4 what). See, old age again. hie hie. I do have string algae but it is not that much. Maybe I should get rid of it altogether?
We live in Benoni (yeah..that Benoni) ha ha. I am 54 with the memory of a person twice my age. The difference between us is our budgets. I saw your photos and it looks fantastic. I have a son that is training to be a pilot. Tried giving him away, but nobody wants him. ha ha
He hehe! We are the same age! And I think I am a spring chicken!
Maybe U had some other parasites apart from the flukes...Some a harder to see than others.
Is KV= to KH??? check on the test kit what to multiply the 4 by to get ppm.
If the algae is not much no problem, but it is a sign of some nitrates...in the water.
I also bought a microscope....not very good at it yet...
My daughter is a lawyer...good girl.
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Neli wrote:
Charl Jacobs wrote:
He hehe! We are the same age! And I think I am a spring chicken!
Maybe U had some other parasites apart from the flukes...Some a harder to see than others.
Is KV= to KH??? check on the test kit what to multiply the 4 by to get ppm.
If the algae is not much no problem, but it is a sign of some nitrates...in the water.
I also bought a microscope....not very good at it yet...
My daughter is a lawyer...good girl.
I am in Sandton when I am in Jbg...bought a house there 20 years ago...
Maybe U should do some MGF treatment??? They advise not to do it if U have not diagnosed the disease....but I do it...better safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
Charl Jacobs

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 7:40 am

Morning Tannie Neli (Hie hie)
I am checking that factor of 4 KH not Kv (finger problems). The 4 is dKH. Will have to google what the ppm would be
Grumpy instructed me to ask you what you do when you do the FMG treatment.
We have an app 22000l pond. Do you bypass bio filters, do a once of treatment etc.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Must we do a follow up treatment in a few days after? (for any eggs)
We scraped a koi last night but yes, struggling a bit, especially with the screen, but they do look clean. We have decided also to be safe.
Checked the Nitrate last night. We do have a spike =60ppm. (think the filters took a hammering after previous treatments)
Regards
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 8:09 am

Nitrate presence means that Your filters are working, for that is the product of converting ammonia and nitrite. I hope U mean nitrate and not nitrite.
Nitrite is the one that can make the Koi to flush.
If U suspect nitrite U need to add 0.1% salt to counteract the poisonous effect of nitrite to Koi...
If U have salt in the water U can not do MGF treatment...
I do a repeat after a week and another one after a week again, but that depends on the temperature...if it is cold...U can do it 10 days apart for the parasites take longer to multiply.
Also U need to do a water change of 20-25 % between treatments...The dosage should be on the bottle.
I make my own MGF.
Nitrates can be removed only by water changes. Do weekly water changes of 10-20%.
And a week later I do a PP treatment at 2ppm.
Back to top Go down
Charl Jacobs

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 9:01 am

Thanks Neli
You are a superstar. Would this treatment affect the bio filters? It was nitrates. The Nitrites are a little up but still well within specs. We have allready started with the water changes.
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 9:35 am

Charl Jacobs wrote:
Thanks Neli
You are a superstar. Would this treatment affect the bio filters? It was nitrates. The Nitrites are a little up but still well within specs. We have allready started with the water changes.
U neeed to provide good aeration too.
MGF set the filters a bit bac...not much,
but PP is bad for the filters...But I see people Put it through the bio if the biofilm is good.
Pongoi Koi puts it through the filters...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think   What do you think Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you think

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Koi Forum :: Koi appreciation :: Photos of the good, bad and ugly koi-