The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
show pond clinofish SPOTS bubble cape electricity food shape baytril dropsy 2011 Dimilin small face dealers foam babies western plants plant salt filter Bead pumps growth
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
What's wrong with my koi fish? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
What's wrong with my koi fish? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
What's wrong with my koi fish? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
What's wrong with my koi fish? EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
What's wrong with my koi fish? EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
What's wrong with my koi fish? EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
What's wrong with my koi fish? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
What's wrong with my koi fish? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
What's wrong with my koi fish? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

What's wrong with my koi fish?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mike1972e

What's wrong with my koi fish? Empty
PostSubject: What's wrong with my koi fish?   What's wrong with my koi fish? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 1:35 pm

I am a new member and new to taking care of my fish. We just purchased a home that had an existing koi pond. We have owned the place for 2 weeks now and trying to learn how to care for our pond and fish inside. We have 2 large koi around 12 to 14 inces and 5 small koi around 5 inches. I have 2 problems I am hoping I can get some advice for. I want to thank you in advance for you help.

The first problem is one of my large Koi who was the most active and eating all the food started getting fluffy white stuff growing on it. Then last night it looks like dark green or black growth has formed on its back. Almost like algae has grown on it. The fish is just sitting still at the bottom. I had a lot of algae growth in my pond when I noticed the white fluffy stuff 2 days ago. I removed half the water and gave it a good cleaning. Then refilled and conditioned the water. I bought some medicine at the local fish store and treated the water with it. I also added pond salt and a barley barrel. Then I noticed the black growth last night. I am really worried about it, as the other fish seem to know the fish is sick and protecting it. Sorry, I don't have any pics at this time. Any adive would be helpful.

My other problem is the other fish seemed very scared. Last night my neighbor came over and told me that he has seem a blue herron on the roof of our house and he showed me a picture of it. He came over and scared it away. What is my best option for protecting my fish? A friend of mine told me one of his friends had the same problem and they bought a fake bird or blue herron and placed it need the pond. Is a net the best option?

Back to top Go down
costa j

costa j

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with my koi fish?   What's wrong with my koi fish? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi Mike,

First things first, have you checked your water parameters -nitrate, nitrite, ammonia ?
Sounds like the white fluffy stuff is a fungus and the black stuff algae which is probably secondary
to parasites on your fish.
You need to scrape and identify what parasites are on your fish. If this is not possible, a broad spectrum medication like malachite green or methylene blue may help, but one really needs to find the cause of the problem first.
You mentioned you conditioned your water--how did you do this? Also, what medication did you use? it is also very dangerous to use different medications in a short space of time as this can be toxic to the fish and stress it. Hopefully you have a dealer or hobbyist to guide you in your area. The most important advice I can give you, is to identify the problem first. You also need to work out the litreage of your pond.

On your second problem, a net is the best to keep birds out.

Regards,
Costa.
Back to top Go down
PIET UNGERER

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with my koi fish?   What's wrong with my koi fish? EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 8:33 am

mike1972e wrote:
I am a new member and new to taking care of my fish. We just purchased a home that had an existing koi pond. We have owned the place for 2 weeks now and trying to learn how to care for our pond and fish inside. We have 2 large koi around 12 to 14 inces and 5 small koi around 5 inches. I have 2 problems I am hoping I can get some advice for. I want to thank you in advance for you help.

The first problem is one of my large Koi who was the most active and eating all the food started getting fluffy white stuff growing on it. Then last night it looks like dark green or black growth has formed on its back. Almost like algae has grown on it. The fish is just sitting still at the bottom. I had a lot of algae growth in my pond when I noticed the white fluffy stuff 2 days ago. I removed half the water and gave it a good cleaning. Then refilled and conditioned the water. I bought some medicine at the local fish store and treated the water with it. I also added pond salt and a barley barrel. Then I noticed the black growth last night. I am really worried about it, as the other fish seem to know the fish is sick and protecting it. Sorry, I don't have any pics at this time. Any adive would be helpful.

My other problem is the other fish seemed very scared. Last night my neighbor came over and told me that he has seem a blue herron on the roof of our house and he showed me a picture of it. He came over and scared it away. What is my best option for protecting my fish? A friend of mine told me one of his friends had the same problem and they bought a fake bird or blue herron and placed it need the pond. Is a net the best option?

Hi Mike

So glad u made contact with Sir Costa

Q: From where are u

Piet
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with my koi fish?   What's wrong with my koi fish? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's wrong with my koi fish?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1