The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
cape pond pumps baytril Dimilin bubble shape electricity dropsy growth show babies SPOTS 2011 plants plant small dealers foam Bead clinofish salt food western face filter
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Zeolite(Clinofish)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kempie

Kempie

Zeolite(Clinofish) Empty
PostSubject: Zeolite(Clinofish)   Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:27 pm

i have a 3 bag sand filter which i use as my mechanical filtration for my koi pond with Zeolite(Clinofish) and my pond has been up and running for 5 weeks now,

i am fully aware that zeolite absorbs ammonia, and needs to be recharged, but my main reason for using Zeolite is for the better cleaning properties it has compared to ordinary koi sand, and i will not be recharging the Zeolite.

my concern is it is all and well the zeolite absorbs the ammonia now, but does that mean that my bio filter will not fully develop as it does not get sufficient ammonia as the zeolite absorbs it all? and once the zeolite cannot absorb any more ammonia, the levels will spike as there is not sufficient bacteria?

i do have a nitrite reading of 0.1 which is normal for a new filter system, and which tells me that the bacteria which converts ammonia to nitrite are present, but i need to know if the Zeolite greatly affects my bio filter's maturing process?

Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

Zeolite(Clinofish) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zeolite(Clinofish)   Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 3:01 pm

You mentioned that you wont recharge your zeolite, which tells me that once it has reached it's capacity for ammonia would feed the biofilters sufficiently with ammonia\nitrites etc.

A lot of people used zeolite, and a lot of those people I heard battled with ulcers etc on their fish, think the safest is to rather use normal 3 - 5mm sand in your sand filter, and then for bio filtration use what you have and add in a bakkie shower for degassing.

There will come a time when you need to use salt in your pond, and even tho you really have to use a dose that fish would not be able to tolerate to actively recharge the zeolite, it would recharge it somewhat which would see an ammonia spoike which you do not want.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Zeolite(Clinofish) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zeolite(Clinofish)   Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 3:40 pm

I tend to agree with Cliff. All my experience with and most reports about zeolite was negative.

Please read Chris Neaves point of view at https://koionline.forumotion.com/t1674-zoelite?highlight=zeolite

And also various other threads on this frum about zeolite. Just put "zeolite" in the search bar.

I have got a couple of bags of zeolite and are not using any.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Miya Oki Koi

Miya Oki Koi

Zeolite(Clinofish) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zeolite(Clinofish)   Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi Kempie. Zeolite = Bad koi experience. Make sure not to add salt to your pond.
Back to top Go down
Kempie

Kempie

Zeolite(Clinofish) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zeolite(Clinofish)   Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi Paul,

the post from Chris Neaves seems to be positive towards the use of Zeolite as a filter medium,

i do weekly water tests and will hopefully pick up a ammonia spike should there be one after the zeolite has become saturated.

i maintain a salt level of 0.15% as per a elec salt meter, and according to Chris Neaves, this level is acceptable if using Zeolite.

thanks for all your advice
Back to top Go down
Neli

Neli

Zeolite(Clinofish) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zeolite(Clinofish)   Zeolite(Clinofish) EmptyTue May 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Kempie wrote:
Hi Paul,

the post from Chris Neaves seems to be positive towards the use of Zeolite as a filter medium,

i do weekly water tests and will hopefully pick up a ammonia spike should there be one after the zeolite has become saturated.

i maintain a salt level of 0.15% as per a elec salt meter, and according to Chris Neaves, this level is acceptable if using Zeolite.

thanks for all your advice

Hi!
Chris Neaves has his sand filter full of zeolite only, and has been using it like that for a very long time. I visited him and he is happy with it. I belief the reason is that zeolite is lighter than the sand and as a result less restrictive...to the water flow.
New pond syndrome is caused by not sufficient bacteria being available to transform all the ammonia produced. As a result ammonia is not converted but returned to the pond, causing problems for your fish.
IMHO zeolite will help U reduce the ammonia in the beginning, and if U have two sets of it, being able to recharge one of the sets....while the other one is operational, u will reduce your ammonia in the beginning, later if U just leave it...it will act as a mechanical filter only.
Don't forget U will need to do regular water changes with a new pond.
Some time you will need to add salt in the pond as medication. It is a common misconception that the zeolite will release the ammonia, since salt is used for recharging it. U need very strong concentration of salt to release the ammonia, and U never use those concentrations for medication.
U will be able to develop bacteria in your filters even with uthe zeolite present....
U should not worry much about that. I don't think that amount of  zeolite will manage to remove all the ammonia.... 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Zeolite(Clinofish) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zeolite(Clinofish)   Zeolite(Clinofish) Empty

Back to top Go down

Zeolite(Clinofish)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1