The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
filter food electricity dropsy growth pond plants 2011 salt shape bubble show dealers baytril water small western plant pumps cape foam SPOTS clinofish babies Bead face
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

June 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
angryant

angryant

water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 11:36 am

Ok the water is already brown and i have done a 15% water change, I have already changed the UV light it was done for me when i was away, so when should i do another pp treatment,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 11:51 am

Shawn,

Do a 15-20% water change every second day.
The "brown" should go away.
If there is still algae in the water by Monday, then do another PP treatment.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 12:56 pm

I do not know where the above poster gets his information from, it seems as if it is just posted to differ and I am sure it is untested.

Here is your 3rd opinion, these formula has been tested and tried.

http://www.koi4u.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97:potassium-permanganate-in-the-treatment-of-koi-ponds&catid=19:medication&Itemid=59
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 1:15 pm

Everyone is entitled to his opinion which is normally based on his/her experience.

There are a lot of people who use PP to get rid of algae, and yes, it kills algae.

However, I personally will not do it. It affects your beneficial bacteria which also plays a major role in keeping a balance, even at low dosages of 1.5, it puts the fish under stress and it forces you to do water changes. With water changes, you again loose good bacteria, it affects the balance of your pond, and it adds new nutrients to your pond for new algae to grow again.

Shawn, the balance of your pond was affected due to the replacement of sand with zeolite. The bacteria in the mature sand played a major role in the balance created by nature.

Don't fiddle to much, the balance will be back soon with the help of the new UV. Be patient.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za

PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Regarding the link, placed by Neville:

I have read the article and found that the writer contradicts himself more then once, and I would refrain from comment on parts of his statement, regarding uses of PP.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 2:50 pm

Admin wrote:

There are a lot of people who use PP to get rid of algae, and yes, it kills algae.

Yes it is true me too and it does work very well.

As for the fish stressing, how do you see or measure that the fish is stressing during a 2gr per 1000 Lt treatment. Please tell me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 5:36 pm

You can’t measure or evaluate stress in Koi!

All poison used in Koi Ponds will stress Koi. (Please note that the medicine we use is all poison)
All sudden environment changes will stress Koi
All sudden temperature will stress Koi
If you attempting to catch Koi, they will stress.
Even spawning stress Koi.............................................................................

I wrote this article about stress January 2007.
Quote :

Catching Koi often proves very difficult. The fish you are after darts away from the net just when you think you’ve caught it, careering off into the side of the pond whilst the rest of the collection panics, forming into a tight school shooting from one side of the pond to the other.
Eventually, the target fish is caught either by a stroke of luck or when it gives in to sheer exhaustion.
According to Dr. Lance Jepson in his book “Koi Medicine,” the fish can see the incoming net and, with its lateral line, will sense the pressure wave produced. This is likely to initiate an escape response, accompanied by a sudden surge of the flight or fight hormones (adrenaline and nor-adrenalin) from the chromaffin tissue ( fish do not have adrenal glands as such). Stress can give rise to these hormones to surge up to one hundred times the normal value in the blood, causing an increase in heart rates, dilatation of the blood vessels in the gills and constriction of those vessels in the main body; there is a fall in the blood glucose and an alteration in the gill ion permeability therefore affecting osmoregulation.
Other stress factors:
The sudden change in, regarding the levels in
pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Temperature
Oxygen
Any other change in the water quality and/or the environment.
Overstocking
Contaminated food!
The best way of preventing disease is to control and limit the levels of stress to which your Koi is exposed.
This single precaution could be an absolutely critical factor in reducing the outbreak of health problems among your collection. The cause is simple - when a Koi becomes stressed, its defenses against disease are weakened and this makes infection and the outbreak of parasites more probable.
Stress can cause a chain reaction which could cause the death of your whole collection!

Anymore questions? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 6:17 pm

Well, as Admin pointed out earlier each to his own.

I don't agree with the above statement in most of it's statements.

Much of it is that it is assumed that it does.

The so called poison is only poison if used incorrectly.

No further questions

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
angryant

angryant

PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 10:46 am

Ok well it is another week and still no luck it is as green as day one what if I put anothere UV in my system. after the filter my inlet splits into two the one goes through my uv to the bakie shower then pond , the second line goes through my 25l biofilter to the side wall of the pond the only place I can put another uv is just before the bio filter will that help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Reminder:..........

Quote :
Subject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:46 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shawn,

Let us take this to a test.

Leave the system as it is for another week. If there is no improvement (I don’t think there will be any ) then replace the zeolite with sand. That's easy enough!

Shawn,
Now, listen to Oom Piet, put the sand back into the sand filter!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 8:23 am

Hey Shawn, are you positive that the light is working? only asking as my pond went abit green recently, replaced the globes.....still green, then noticed that the one was not working so had to replace the little electrical box unit........couple of days later pond clear again
Back to top Go down
angryant

angryant

PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 11:35 pm

Ok update, This is what I have started to do, and Im sure it can only do good think Im going to have the most filtration in the world on my 10 000l pond. I have removed all the zeolite from my sand filter and will replace it with silica again 3 to 5 mm will keep the Air kit on it is a .75 speck pump from the bottom drain to my 3 bag filter and splits in two one line goes to my new 50l bio filter with bio balls inside (all the old balls out my bakkie shower and 25l bio filter then to a 30w uv to the pond side wall for current. the second line goes From the filter to another30w uv to my 5 tray bakkie shower tray 1 jap mat cut into blocks with a full sheet ontop, tray 2 my new crystal bio from dream koi 100l there of tray 3 crystal bio 100l there of tray 4 25kg 10mm- 15mm zeolite and a layer of Abalone shells (Ph now 7.1 for the past 4 days) tray 5 25kg 10mm-15mm zeolite.

this should all be up and running by tomorrow night then the stop watch will start ticking to see how long a total of 60w uv takes to clean a pea green pond. I have put each UV on its own switch so i can turn them on and off as i please. also I have put my portable shade over my pond,

Hold thumbs and i pray i will see my fish soon,
Back to top Go down
angryant

angryant

PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 11:37 pm

Cliff wrote:
Hey Shawn, are you positive that the light is working? only asking as my pond went abit green recently, replaced the globes.....still green, then noticed that the one was not working so had to replace the little electrical box unit........couple of days later pond clear again

Hi cliff Yip I checked it every night and i is burning nice and bright but then again so was my old one, have anothere 30w im going to install so will have 2 soon.
Back to top Go down
angryant

angryant

PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 12:07 am

Ok that's it all done will post pics of my new system before and after oom SF I have put the new silica sand in have 60 w UV on and also added the bio crystals to my bakkie shower aswell as a 50 l bio filter took the bio ball out my 25 l and added it to the old bio balls that were in my bakkie shower so hope my pond clears up in a few days. Well post pics soon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.   water - Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Green Water Could it be the Zeolite In the sand filter.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2