The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
babies 2011 baytril pond electricity small foam Dimilin plants dealers food western growth clinofish show SPOTS shape pumps filter Bead dropsy cape plant salt face bubble
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Oyster shells V Abalone Shells

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
angryant

angryant

Oyster shells V Abalone Shells Empty
PostSubject: Oyster shells V Abalone Shells   Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 11:46 am

Hi there guy I am almost done with my Bakki shower and am looking at media now I can get Abalone shells or Oyster shells which should i use and why? please help would be good asap,
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Oyster shells V Abalone Shells   Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi Shawn,

I do not know abalone shells but in my opinion any shell as long as it comes out the ocean, their composition will be the same.

Just please remember to disinfect them either PP or VirkonS
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oyster shells V Abalone Shells   Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi Shawn,

I would rather use lawa rock as a medium. You will be able to obtain it from Paul Viljoen

If you have “acid” water ( low pH ) then use Oyster Shells.

Be careful not to clean shells with any chemicals!
The best is to dry (leave) them in the Sun for sometime.
Back to top Go down
angryant

angryant

PostSubject: Re: Oyster shells V Abalone Shells   Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Thanks for the reply guys I have 5 trays to put media into so i was going to put abalone or oyster shells if i can get into tray 1 the top one then 3 trays of bio balls or lava rock if it is not to expencive and in the bottom try zeolite the 10mm to 20mm one please let me know if this is all ok.
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Oyster shells V Abalone Shells   Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi Shawn

Yes that sounds good, I like the order. I would prefer lava rock (Christi should also have) as a medium to bio balls I believe you will get more surface area from lava rock and I don't think it will be any more expensive than bio balls. If you go for bio balls use the smaller ones, they seem better.

Speak to Mark Colyn about the correct media, they are importing some.
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: Oyster shells V Abalone Shells   Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi Shawn there you have it, purchasing the smaller bio balls was the right thing to do !

Christie says the Abalone shells as a media will also do the trick replacing oyster shells.

It all a question of budget and availability Sad

When are we seeing this new monster Bakki Question
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: Oyster shells V Abalone Shells   Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 4:43 am

Hi there Shawn,

The media that is being imported from Japan is Ogata Crystal Bio - it will only be arriving at the end of Oct so that might be to late for you. If you're interested send me a pm and I'll give you more gen.

Mark
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: Oyster shells V Abalone Shells   Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the PM, i'm convinced this is the way to go. This is what I'll be using in my Bakki Shower.

Mark
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: Oyster shells V Abalone Shells   Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 8:47 am

Mark wrote:
Hi there Shawn,

The media that is being imported from Japan is Ogata Crystal Bio - it will only be arriving at the end of Oct so that might be to late for you. If you're interested send me a pm and I'll give you more gen.

Mark

Hello Mark, thank you very much for showing Drikus, Mark and myself your new Villa and Koi pond under construction the past Saturday. You pond is going to be stunning ......and a serious warning to the Western Cape hobbyist.... to hide and protect their trophies...... trouble with a big T is around the corner.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: Oyster shells V Abalone Shells   Oyster shells V Abalone Shells EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks Bobby, starting to get a little frustrated - the ocupation date has been pegged at 15th of November. I think that's wishfull thinking but the builder seems confident. I received my 5 tier Bakki Shower today - Neville has done a good job cheers . I'll post some pics once its all up and running. bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oyster shells V Abalone Shells   Oyster shells V Abalone Shells Empty

Back to top Go down

Oyster shells V Abalone Shells

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Koi Forum :: Filtration :: All your questions about filtration answered-