The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
small baytril Bead salt pumps Dimilin dropsy electricity plants face plant pond show growth dealers shape food 2011 cape SPOTS filter babies clinofish bubble western foam
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
shimmies - Shimmies? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
shimmies - Shimmies? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
shimmies - Shimmies? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
shimmies - Shimmies? EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
shimmies - Shimmies? EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
shimmies - Shimmies? EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
shimmies - Shimmies? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
shimmies - Shimmies? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
shimmies - Shimmies? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Shimmies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
albie

albie

shimmies - Shimmies? Empty
PostSubject: Shimmies?   shimmies - Shimmies? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 5:03 pm

I am not sure where to post this and Paul you can move the post, if needed.

A new Kohaku that I recently bought developed a shimmie on the white (shiro??- I will need to learn my terminology) and two of the three small kohakus that I bought from Collin last year also developed a few spots, this time on the hi.

Obviously it doesn't look nice. I've read that hardness of the water can cause it?? or just in the genes?. But the issue is, is there anything one can do about it? Perhaps a little bit of liquid nitrogen on a stick, like for warts; or should one just accept it?

Albie
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Shimmies?   shimmies - Shimmies? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 9:26 pm

it all depends....sometimes one can scrape it off with scalpel but it if its true sumi coming up there is nothing one can do.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Shimmies?   shimmies - Shimmies? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 11:18 pm

I suppose if I take a closer picture one will be able to see if it is sumi coming through or just some scales?
Back to top Go down
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Shimmies?   shimmies - Shimmies? EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 6:32 pm

I will put salt on, try to scratch it off with a scalpel , all three are about 30cm and then perhaps put Friars balsam on.

Now to sedate them slightly, (not kill them!!), how many drops of clove all say for 10 liter?

Can just as well do it if we are trying to find a hole in a pipe or some or other leak

Thanks
Albie
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

PostSubject: Re: Shimmies?   shimmies - Shimmies? EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 6:59 pm

Clove oil is a natural product ideally suited to Anesthise Koi and it is fairly cheap and available from most pharmacies.

The active ingredient is Eugenol

Procedure:

1 Add pond water to a bucket big enough to cover the gills of your koi and aerate the water.

2 Calculate the amount of water in the bucket.

3 Add 2 drops of clove oil per 1 liter of water in the bucket. (0.5 ml / liter) Because oil and water does not mix well, I first mix it with some of the bucket water by putting it in a small container which I then shake well before adding it to the bucket. An empty cool drink bottle works well. This also prevents you from accidentally releasing to much oil into the bucket.

4 Add the fish to the container and cover it for with a wet towel to prevent it from jumping out.

5 The fish should start to roll over a bit after 3 - 7 minutes. If not, add a bit more clove oil. The bigger the fish, the more required, and different batches of clove oil has different strengths. Gill movement will become slower, but should not stop. When adequately sedated, you should be able to lift it with support in the center and the tail should not flex much.

6 Now you can take out the fish and put it onto the wet towel for treatment. Hold the fish down with the same or another wet towel as it might jump.

7 Work as fast as possible and get it into the pond(supported) or another aerated bucket with clean water as soon as possible. It should recover within a few minutes.

8 If you only need to do a scraping, an half dosage can be used, although you don't even have to sedate the koi if you have experience in doing a scraping.

TO EUTHANISE KOI

Add 20-25 drops/liter of Clove oil to the bucket
It will send the fish into a peaceful deep sleep, from which it will not regain consciousness and will pass away painlessly.

Koi are not my whole life but make my life whole
Back to top Go down
vossie

vossie

PostSubject: Re: Shimmies?   shimmies - Shimmies? EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 7:52 pm

marius dis intresant om te weet aangesien ons visvang met dieselfde goed wat julle gebruik om koi te verdoof
Ek sit dit gewoonlik saam met tcp en mollasse en baie florocein as `n dip vir karpe en hulle kan nie wegbly van dit nie

Last edited by vossie on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.theltbclub.co.za
albie

albie

PostSubject: Re: Shimmies?   shimmies - Shimmies? EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 8:30 pm

Dankie Marius

Jy is nou al 'n expert.

Ek moet seker net beter soek, want dit sal seker iewers op die site wees, maar as dit nie is nie behoort dit 'n "sticky " te wees

Groete
Albie
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

PostSubject: Re: Shimmies?   shimmies - Shimmies? EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 7:47 am

Nee glad nie eens naby expert nie. Dit is wat Paul geskryf het onder die 'medicine' afdeling
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shimmies?   shimmies - Shimmies? EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 10:29 am

Albie,
Apply 5-10 drops of Clove Oil per 5lt of pond water in one tub and mix well.

Directions:
Add the koi into the tub containing the Clove Oil.

Important:
Always keep a close eye on your koi, as some koi go under anesthetic quicker than others.
In usually 10-15 minutes, the koi will begin slowing down and becoming more and more relaxed.
Wait until the koi gets to the point where it is rolling onto its side, and has become placid enough for handling.
Note:
If you pick up the koi and it is still flailing about, it is likely that it still needs a little more time in the tub containing the Clove Oil.
When the koi is calm enough to do whatever procedure you are going to do, it is important that you work quickly.

When finished, place the koi into the tub of clean pond water to recover and hold the koi by hand in an upright position.
Wait until the koi can hold itself in an upright position.
After recovered, return the koi to its normal pond environment.
Back to top Go down
angryant

angryant

PostSubject: Re: Shimmies?   shimmies - Shimmies? EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 11:11 am

Hi Albie I had the same thing with one of my koi when it was About 30cm but opted to wait a season and it has gone 100% gone I thought it might come back this winter but no such thing so far I'm away at the moment but will post some pics I took when I first spoted it a year ago and some new of how she looks now.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shimmies?   shimmies - Shimmies? Empty

Back to top Go down

Shimmies?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1