The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
plant pumps baytril babies white food foam Bead bubble plants show electricity filter dropsy salt 2011 SPOTS pond face cape shape skin dealers Dimilin growth western
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Cotton wool disease-Dying fish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave

disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish Empty
PostSubject: Cotton wool disease-Dying fish   disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish EmptySat May 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

Fed the fish at 6 this morning, before my hockey match and got home at around about 3 I went to check up on this fish, and saw one was very drozzy almost drunk. Now usaully this fsh always swims away from me. So I didn't know what it was doing, so I came back an hour later and found another fish floating and covered in almost a coat of muckas.

Will post some pictures later, I caught the other drozzy fish and put him in a medicine tank. Don't think he will make it though the night though Sad

I bought some small koi 2 months ago, and have kept them in quarantine for 2 weeks. Only now have fish started to become drozzy and weird.

Please help Smile Like I said I was on one of the American forums and saw a topic like mine, and saw that the person had Cotton wool disease.

Does any one have nay suggestions? I have added some salt in, and done a 30% water change? any more that I can do, or has someone had a similar situation?
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Cotton wool disease-Dying fish   disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish EmptySat May 08, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi Dave

Last time I had such a problem we used clean, ie: undiluted Malachite Green.
The fish was painted with the solution and placed back in the water, repeat the next day. It healed within 2 days.

I have have also heard of a salt dip working. U Use a very strong salt solution, about 10 to 15% place the fish in it and it should "pass out" within 2 to 3 min after which you must place it back in the pond.

Not my strong point this virus and fungal stuff.

I would go for the malachite green treatment first, Just take care use a brush or sponge to apply and cover the whole fish and avoid contact by using surgical gloves.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cotton wool disease-Dying fish   disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish EmptySat May 08, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi Dave

Please post some photos, it might not be cottom wool disease.

If it is, you have to treat the wound/s as suggested by Neville. I normally clean it with Hyrogen Peroxide and Malachite green, and cover with Friars Balsam to seal and waterproof the wound. (dry with hairdrywer set on cold)

Thereafter, treat the whole pond with Malachite green (0.1g/1000 liters or a bath @ 1.5mg / l for 1 hour or both depending on the severity of the conditions) and keep your salt level at 4kg/1000 liter.

The salt bath is also an option, although you have to address the bacteria(normally Saprolegnia or Branchiomyces)

Cotton wool is normally an indication of poor water conditions. Check all parameters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Dave

PostSubject: Re: Cotton wool disease-Dying fish   disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish EmptySun May 09, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks guys, will go and check and buy the salt and undiluted Malachite Green do you think Sandton Aquatics will have the Malachite? I also think it could be to my poor water conditions, we need to replace our uv's and add more filter material.

I don't think the new fish caused it as they are in the top pond with other medium sized fish and they are all fine.

Thanks again, looking forward to seeing everyone at the Show!!!!
Back to top Go down
Neville

Neville

PostSubject: Re: Cotton wool disease-Dying fish   disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish EmptySun May 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi Dave.

Yes I am sure Sandton Aquatics will have or else Loolilocks.
Yes one has to re evaluate your system from time to time and make adjustments.

The UV's is not so important this time of year it will only controll algea anyway.

If you need filter material you can PM me

Hope you come right
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cotton wool disease-Dying fish   disease - Cotton wool disease-Dying fish Empty

Back to top Go down

Cotton wool disease-Dying fish

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1