The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
growth bubble western show dealers pumps Dimilin baytril foam 2011 filter dropsy plant pond face clinofish babies small salt food SPOTS cape Bead electricity shape plants
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
The Experts sometimes ................................ EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
The Experts sometimes ................................ EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
The Experts sometimes ................................ EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
The Experts sometimes ................................ EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
The Experts sometimes ................................ EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
The Experts sometimes ................................ EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
The Experts sometimes ................................ EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
The Experts sometimes ................................ EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
The Experts sometimes ................................ EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

The Experts sometimes ................................

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bobby

bobby

The Experts sometimes ................................ Empty
PostSubject: The Experts sometimes ................................   The Experts sometimes ................................ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 2:49 pm

The experts do sometimes get it right should we listen. We as keepers can very seldom control our emotions to get one more Koi and to err on the overstocking side, in spite of good advice given. We need to experience the problem ourselves first before we normally agree.
My first pond had 9 Koi, well within the 6m of koi allowed in 10 000lts of water. I was very strict on my pond maintenance and feeding program and still find it difficult to maintain the water standards that I would like to achieve. In the Cape some of our keepers refer to it as Ernst water as the man’s pond is always looking so shiny and healthy.
I moved my Koi over to the new pond and my old pond now has 6 Koi, with a total of about 3 meters of Koi. I still feed the same and it is amazing how the water has improved over the last 21 days. Everything is still being done the same way, but the water improves daily. So the moral of my story is that overstocking seriously effects out water quality and Koi health. The American Koi Kitchies call themselves on Koi Bito, the serious Koi keepers and are advocating 4000lt of water per Koi, 4 times the amount of water we are generally happy with. In my new pond I am going to try and keep the emotions under wraps not to exceed 2200lt per Koi. Well not a good start as I said to myself before not less than 2500lt per Koi. geek
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

The Experts sometimes ................................ Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Experts sometimes ................................   The Experts sometimes ................................ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 4:52 pm

Good post Bobby.

You can add to that the maintanence side is critical. Irrespective of the size and complexity or cost of your filter system if it is not maintianed it will fail.

And there is one other critical point to keep in mind - the size of your koi. Every time a koi doubles in size it has about 8 x the body mass - not double the body mass. This in turn means 8 x more oxygen removed from the system and 8 x the ammonia excreted intothe pond.

Oh dear, oh dear - I may have to sell more koi I am over stocked.

But you can over come this to some extent.

Regards,
Chris
Back to top Go down

The Experts sometimes ................................

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Koi Forum :: General :: Chat - Koi related-