The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
growth baytril dropsy pond pumps babies cape food bubble shape Bead dealers plants electricity 2011 Dimilin foam western plant salt small clinofish face show filter SPOTS
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Pond with constant natural water from spring EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Pond with constant natural water from spring EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Pond with constant natural water from spring EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Pond with constant natural water from spring EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Pond with constant natural water from spring EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Pond with constant natural water from spring EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Pond with constant natural water from spring EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Pond with constant natural water from spring EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Pond with constant natural water from spring EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Pond with constant natural water from spring

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Pond with constant natural water from spring Empty
PostSubject: Pond with constant natural water from spring   Pond with constant natural water from spring EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 10:32 am

I received this mail, any comments?

I am situated on a farm in the far northern Limpopo province. The closest town I think you will know of is Musina. On a place in the farm we have a natural pond. It used to be a spring. The water used to trickle through the layer of lime stone which forms the floor of this pond. I have a large cement dam which is situated higher than the pond and from there I let water flow into the pond. Because of the lime stone base ( very porous stone ), the water sinks away quite fast and so it stays perfectly clean all year round without hassle. Over the past 3 years I have really quite incidentally created quite the eden there. I also - before I found out just 3 months ago that it is illegal to keep Koi in anything other than an artificial environment - bought 8 little Koi when I started with the pond. I put them in there and never saw them again for some months and then one day they were spotted.

This summer they started spawning. At first to my delight. Later, when I realised that they were multiplying like nobodies business, I also realised that I would soon have a very big population problem. Currently I am digging the hole for a Koi pond here in our garden so that I can at least salvage some of the smaller ones. Because of the natural result with the lime stone, I thought to simplify the new pond by building it with loose lime stone that is lying around on the farm. The floor would be cement and the walls, lime stone. This way the water will also constantly drain away through the walls and fresh water can flow into the pond almost 24/7. In order to provide oxygen at night, I will have a fontain circulating the water. Does this sound viable to you?

The pond we are digging now, is 6m across and 1.5m deep. Some of the first spawn are already 20cm+ long. How many Koi could I keep in that pond at a time if I were to sell them.

How does one transport larger Koi. The largets one is around 700mm. It seems as if it may be easier to transport a whale. We are 80km's from the closest town so you see transport will be an issue thus I don't think an attempt at selling them would be succesfull but I'll give it a shot all the same.

The list of questions goes on. The above ones however, are the most important ones.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pond with constant natural water from spring   Pond with constant natural water from spring EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 10:38 am

My response:

Dear Cronje

I have posted your mail on my forum at https://koionline.forumotion.com/chat-koi-related-f33/pond-with-constant-natural-water-from-spring-t1192.htm

Please join, elaborate and post a picture or two to enable members to give you proper advice.

Kind regards

Paul
Back to top Go down
Collin

Collin

PostSubject: Re: Pond with constant natural water from spring   Pond with constant natural water from spring EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi Paul

Please mail me the persons contat details and I will try and assist him with his Q.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orientkoi.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pond with constant natural water from spring   Pond with constant natural water from spring EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 12:44 pm

Collin wrote:
Hi Paul

Please mail me the persons contat details and I will try and assist him with his Q.

Have done so, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pond with constant natural water from spring   Pond with constant natural water from spring Empty

Back to top Go down

Pond with constant natural water from spring

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1