The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
shape western face salt growth SPOTS plants pumps babies food foam white show Bead dealers baytril electricity Dimilin bubble cape dropsy pond 2011 filter skin plant
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Garlic and olive oil

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carel

Garlic - Garlic and olive oil Empty
PostSubject: Garlic and olive oil   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptyThu Sep 20, 2007 2:10 pm

I have recently read that you can give your Koi garlic and olive oil. Is this true?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Garlic and olive oil   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptyThu Sep 20, 2007 5:18 pm

Carel,

Well....................................it is working!!!!!!!

I have mixed Garlic into my Koi food, between June to end September!
I took three skin scraps of Koi and could not found any parasites.......................ZERO on any of the three fish that was examined!

If this is an indication regarding the powers of Garlic, then it is working!

The mix I used:

1 kg Wheat-germ pellets
5 g Robertson’s Crushed Garlic
Ocean Gold Fish Oil ( 8000 units natural Vitamin A and 800 units Vitamin D per ml.
BaoBio Montmorollonite clay

Method: Mix food with 80-100ml fish oil, at garlic and mix together, ad clay to help to absorb the excessive oil. Feed to fish with temperature above 12*C
Garlic - Garlic and olive oil 100_0209

Olive oil with garlic!!!!
Yes, this is available at a well-known supermarket in South Africa at a prize of round about R 75-00 per 500ml bottle.
What is nice about this oil is that it blends better and faster with any Koi food (pellets or sticks) and it is soaked up quicker by the food then any other oil I have used. By being so, it leaves about no oil film on the water normally associated with food treaded with oil.
After mixing this oil with the food you could smell the garlic when opening the food container and the fish loves it.
Montmorollonite clay can still be added to absorb any surplus oil.
Maybe some of you think that this oil is expensive, but keep in mind that parasites always cause a secondary infection.
Treating Koi after a parasite attack or secondary infection is always a battle and some Koi maybe lost or your Show Koi could be of value at all.
I have been using garlic in my Koi food for the last year and had no problems with any parasites and I also find that this combination (garlic and montmorollonite) definitely enhances the skin quality of the Koi.
Garlic - Garlic and olive oil 100_0358

According my calculations 500ml oil should treat 5kg of Koi Food (pellets).
I would say this is a wise investment!

Garlic - Garlic and olive oil Getprodimage
Wheatgerm with Garlic

Reduced protein maintenance food with garlic for protection from parasites over cooler months. The addition of garlic diffuses through the skin of the fish and any parasites which may be present react to these compounds by swimming away, reducing the risk of infestation. When rapid growth is not a priority, MediKoi, Wheatgerm with Garlic can be fed throughout the year. It can be used to help stimulate the appetite if fish have been moved or "gone off their food" and will encourage them to feed again quickly.

Retrieved from:- www.ntlabs.co.uk
THIS FOOD IS PRODUCE IN THE UK, BY MEDIKOI

Pieter
South African Koi Industry Forum
http://southafricankoi.11.forumer.com
Back to top Go down
cam0

PostSubject: Re: Garlic and olive oil   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 9:31 am

Hi,

Roughly how much should I be paying for a 5kg bag of Wheatgerm food?

Also where did you buy the Borges oil from? Pic n Pay? Spar? Checkers?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Garlic and olive oil   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 10:20 am

Hi,

Borges Oil at P'n P.

Also read:

http://southafricankoi.11.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=44

http://southafricankoi.11.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=604
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: Garlic and olive oil   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 9:37 pm

Quote :
Ocean Gold Fish Oil ( 8000 units natural Vitamin A and 800 units Vitamin D per ml.
Hello Pieter, would you recommend wiping your face one you have mixed the Ocean Gold with the food. LOL

LG

Quote :
I have mixed Garlic into my Koi food, between June to end September!
I took three skin scraps of Koi and could not found any parasites.......................ZERO on any of the three fish that was examined!

If this is an indication regarding the powers of Garlic, then it is working!

The mix I used:

1 kg Wheat-germ pellets
5 g Robertson’s Crushed Garlic
BaoBio Montmorollonite clay

Extremely good advice for keeping healthy Koi
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: Garlic and olive oil   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 7:14 am

Hi,
I looked around a little and came across the following about garlic and oil.

Any ideas and comments on the information below?

"When raw garlic is stored in oil, Clostridium botulinum bacteria can grow. These mixtures must be refrigerated to slow bacterial growth. After 3 weeks of refrigeration, the increased number of bacteria will become a food safety hazard. Therefore, these mixtures should not be refrigerated longer than 3 weeks."

Also -

"BOTULISM WARNING
Regardless of its flavor potency, garlic is a low-acid vegetable. The pH of a clove of garlic typically ranges from 5.3 to 6.3. As with all low-acid vegetables, garlic will support the growth and subsequent toxin production of the bacterium Clostridium botulinum when given the right conditions. These conditions include improper home canning and improper preparation and storage of fresh herb and garlic-in-oil mixtures. Moisture, room temperature, lack of oxygen, and low-acid conditions all favor the growth of Clostridium botulinum. When growing, this bacterium produces an extremely potent toxin that causes the illness botulism. If untreated, death can result within a few days of consuming the toxic food."

and in another article -

"Botulism
This is probably the most serious risk associated with garlic. Its sulphurous nature makes it a prime breeding ground for botulism (clostridium botulinum). Botulism is a nasty toxin that can result in major stomach illness sometimes leading to death.
The worst danger from botulism comes if raw garlic is stored in oil at room temperature - or even for too long in the refridgerator. Never store raw garlic in oil at room temperature."

and another source -

"Incidentally, another danger associated with garlic is potential botulism contamination--in 1989 the FDA banned certain garlic-in-oil mixes for that reason. The problem is that when you chop up fresh produce and cover it in oil, you're giving anaerobic Clostridium botulinum bacteria a good growing environment."

Regards,
Chris
Back to top Go down
cam0

PostSubject: Re: Garlic and olive oil   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 10:41 am

Surely it would be illegal to sell it in this form then as it is stored at room temperature in shops?
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: Garlic and olive oil   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 12:07 pm

No expert but different oil must have different properties?

More importantly for me is not to mix a batch of food for more than 3 to 5 days upfront at any given time.
In my opinion the Quality of food also has an effect on the health and mix.
I use natural crushed Garlic 100g tub, Propolis, and Natural Honey direct from the honeycomb, peanut butter, Ocean Gold fish oil and clay to add to my Saki Hikari and Ea Show very successfully.
The skin quality, color and health are amazing on all my Koi and I have not experienced any health issues to date.

Please read this toppic with Post's from Pieter, KoiCare and Dr Jim Phillips
http://southafricankoi.11.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=44&highlight=garlic&sid=c9dfe34ecdfb470dd7ab72dfd70b9e8b

Here is one of my babies
https://s315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/Bobby_Matthee/?action=view&current=_Showa.jpg
Back to top Go down
koicare

koicare

PostSubject: Re: Garlic and olive oil   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 6:10 pm

I can not comment about the Oil and Garlic..... there I know nothing.....I also do not use any oil to add garlic to my Koi Food

But I can give you some nutritive information on Garlic!

General Information on Garlic
Natural antibiotic - Allicin is said to be stronger than penicillin and tetracycline, and microbes do not mutate when repeatedly exposed to garlic. Antiviral, and antifungal properties, it is used to increase the effects of the immune system; Garlic has antioxidant properties. Garlic works as an immune system stimulant which helps the body fight bacterial, viral and fungal infections. Garlic can be used in the treatment of a variety of bacterial, viral, and fungal infections. Garlic inhibits the growth of different species of bacteria.

28.35g of garlic contains the following:
0.01g Omega 3
0.06g Omega 6
0.06mg Vit B1
0.03mg Vit B2
0.71mg Vit B3
0.17mg Vit B5
0.35mg Vit B6
8.85mg Vit C
0.88mcg Vit E
Calcium 51.31mg
Copper 0.08mg
Iron 0.48mg
Magnesium 7.09mg
Manganese 0.47mg
Phosphorus 43.38mg
Potassium 113.68mg
Selenium 4.03mcg
Sodium 4.82mg
Zinc 0.33mg

and all the Amino Acids which are Essential to Koi
Arginine 0.18g
Histidine 0.03g
Isoleucine 0.06g
Leucine 0.09g
Lysine 0.08g
Methionine 0.02g
Phenylalanine 0.05g
Threonine 0.04g
Thryptophan 0.02g
Valine 0.08g

Plus some Non Essential Amino Acids
Alanine 0.04g
Aspartate 0.14g
Cystine 0.02g
Glutamate 0.23g
Glycine 0.06g
Proline 0.03g
Serine 0.05g
Tyrosine 0.02g

So all in all Garlic is a good addition.....rememebr everything in moderation. Just like Garlic is toxic to dog in large doses - and I do give my dogs garlic - but as a seasoning..... excessive garlic would also be toxic to koi..... so use it wisely. Excessive Garlic can cause damage to red blood cells..... I have never had any problems feeding a teaspoon with my daily feeds....so do not be scared, but remember more is not always better!
Back to top Go down
koicare

koicare

PostSubject: Re: Garlic and olive oil   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 6:19 pm

I just did some Googling....and "No I do not not think it is a good idea to feed Garlic Oil or Garlic stored in oil"...... the risk is too high!
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: Garlic and olive oil   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 6:30 pm

Quote :
but remember more is not always better!
Yes Julie I am pretty sure that this comment was not for me! No
Embarassed More of a good thing must be better lol!
OK, I get your point
Ps. Does that mean I must feed less EA Show and Saki Hikari ? jocolor

My Koi don't like you affraid
Back to top Go down
koicare

koicare

PostSubject: Re: Garlic and olive oil   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 8:10 pm

Of course not Bobby......
Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Supplements   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 4:33 pm

Supplements are part of the fun and games of extracting the best you can from your Koi's potential - a subject I have covered elsewhere on the Food section of this forum.

Speaking for Hikari - ALL their Koi foods are 'cradle to grave' in design. in other words you can feed your Koi any of the range from Hikari and you will never have to supplement the diet in any way. Every Hikari Koi food contains a complete profile of every mineral, trace element, protein, carbohydrates, fibre, oil etc etc that your Koi will ever require. Garlic incidentally is used with Hikari foods. However the Hikari Labs obviously won't divulge what levels of garlic are used!

Of course if you want to supplement your Koi feeding you can so so with whatever you like. That's part of the hobby of course but remember Koi are aquatic animals... and you don't want to cause any dietary problems in so doing.
Back to top Go down
Anver

Anver

PostSubject: olive oil and garlic   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi
Can any one tell me where to get the BORGES OLIVE OIL AND GARLIC from.
Thanks
Anver
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Garlic and olive oil   Garlic - Garlic and olive oil Empty

Back to top Go down

Garlic and olive oil

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1