The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
SPOTS shape cape plant plants foam dealers baytril bubble 2011 growth Bead small western electricity food dropsy babies pumps face filter salt show pond clinofish Dimilin
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Bentonite clay and its effects on solids

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chris Neaves

Bentonite clay and its effects on solids Empty
PostSubject: Bentonite clay and its effects on solids   Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 5:10 am

Hi -

Here are two interesting pictures.

The first picture shows the solid settlement inside Multicyclone. A day or two after start up a few months ago.

The second picture shows the solid settlement inside the Multicyclone a day or two after a good dose of bentonite clay into the pond - note the clumping of the solids.

Bentonite clay and its effects on solids Solids

Bentonite clay and its effects on solids Bentonite

Further report on the multi cyclone - really working well. Money well spent. Water clears quickly after rain. Never clogs. Easy to flush.

Chris
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: Bentonite clay and its effects on solids   Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 6:33 am

Hi Chris
Will you please post a picture of installation, is this installed directly onto a pump?
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: Bentonite clay and its effects on solids   Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 7:28 am

Hi Bobby -
Installation as requested

Multicyclone is installed after pump but before and biofilter or other mechanical filter. It can be installed directly onto the pump or on its own stand.

A good idea when installing is to have a valve immediately after the multicyclone. Close this valve, open the outlet valve on the multicyclone, turnon pump to get full blast of water to flush the inside.

Directly onto pump

Bentonite clay and its effects on solids Mcyc_sm600_2_19110720sml-1

On its own stand between pump and biofilter

Bentonite clay and its effects on solids Cyc_tln_sptf_2wv_sppt_21110720sml

Picture from Multicyclone brouchure.

Flushing a multicyclone

Bentonite clay and its effects on solids DSC00411

Some more info for the techno boffins - also from the brouchure -

The filtration efficiency of the MultiCyclone was tested by feeding 5 to 80 micron dust particles through the MultiCyclone and analyzing the percentage dust particles trapped in the sediment bowl.

The laboratory test below revealed that the MultiCyclone was effective in filtering particles sized 40 to 80 microns.

DE powder was passed through the MultiCyclone to discover its effective flow rate.

At 50 litres a minute, the MultiCyclone was able to remove approximately 60% of DE powder and at 350 litres a minute; the MultiCyclone was able to remove 80% of DE powder.

Chris
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: Bentonite clay and its effects on solids   Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 8:18 am

Thanks Chris
I could possibly make installation no 2 work on my new system but the real question will then be the minimum size of pressure pump. Would the small yellow Ultrazap pump work?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bentonite clay and its effects on solids   Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 11:54 am

Hi Chris,

Quote :
The second picture shows the solid settlement inside the Multicyclone a day or two after a good dose of bentonite clay into the pond - note the clumping of the solids.

Did you ad the montmorollonite clay direct into the water or did you mix it with the food?
Back to top Go down
angryant

angryant

PostSubject: Re: Bentonite clay and its effects on solids   Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 3:17 pm

Now I can't wait to get home from offshore mine is at the house ready to be installed think it is going to help so much also my wife will beable to clean it out no problems every second day or so hehaaaa
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: Bentonite clay and its effects on solids   Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 8:02 am

Hi Bobby,

I am not familiar with the yellow Ultra zap pumps. But as the multicyclone was designed to work with swimming pools I would imagine you have to check the specifications and push of the ultra zap. There is a multicycone specification pahmplet available directly from them on theri web site. Alternatively I have th eemail address of the designer of the Multicyclone.

Hi Pieter,

The bentonite clay was added directly into the pond. Its interesting to see the way bentonite encourages clumping of solids. This is good for removing fines from the water.

Your ponds look great and don't really need this as they are very, very clear and have a sparkle to them not many koi keepers achieve.

If you do add the bentonite clay to the pond let us know if it makes a difference after a day or two.

Regards,
Chris
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bentonite clay and its effects on solids   Bentonite clay and its effects on solids EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 11:51 am

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the compliment! You and I Know it is achieved by using sand filters correctly, but please don’t say anything to the “Lazy Bunch.” Wink

In the beginning I also ad the clay direct to the pond water, but I found that it causes the sand filters to clod-up quicker then normally and it also leaves a “muddy like” debris in the sand filter itself.

Recently, I mix the clay together with the garlic in the food with no problems like before.

PS. Got one of the 20kg Shogun bags at the Year end function, so far the new Shogun mixes nicely with the garlic and the clay, and the Koi seems to like it as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bentonite clay and its effects on solids   Bentonite clay and its effects on solids Empty

Back to top Go down

Bentonite clay and its effects on solids

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1