The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
show face Bead western cape salt electricity food babies small SPOTS plants pond foam baytril clinofish Dimilin shape filter dropsy dealers growth pumps plant bubble 2011
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cliff

Cliff

skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer Empty
PostSubject: My DIY Protein Leaf skimmer   skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 6:47 pm

Well I said I was going to post up how I made my DIY protein / leaf skimmer. Had a lot of thin foam build up on my pond top and also wanted to clear away uneaten food easily, as well as the bit of debris that blows into my pond.

First of all I had a spare basin\sink strainer from when I renovated my kitchen, it's basically made of plastic and had the bit inside which the silver strainer part of a sink screws into. I basically just hack saw bladed the 3 of the 4 plastic supporting arms away and left the one arm that was attached to the centre screw in bit. Then on this same piece is a neck with thread, this has a normal piece that screws into this that has a 40mm pipe attached to it, I screwed this in together. Then on the top I added a black toilet floater ball, this is so as to keep the whole bit floating. In the pics below you can see the parts apart as well as what it looks like assembled. On the Y strainer piece I did have to saw away the some of the top.

Pics
skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer Picture041
skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer Picture046
skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer Picture047

Then at the pond side on the outlet from my bottom drain to pump I cut a section after my ball valve and added the following bit, you'll see this is normal 50mm piping

skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer Picture042
skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer Picture043

So I just place the end of the 40mm pipe attahced to my skimmer into the 50mm pipe, obviously it's quite loose which is what I wanted because as the water level drops or rises so does my skimmer, so it's not set at a set height so auto adjusts itself according to the water level...as seen in my pic below

skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer Picture049

I will have plants covering it in the not too distant future, where the leaves will be lying on the net above it so am not to worried about visibility.

With my water rotating etc my pond is finally crystal crystal clear and I know that this skimmer is helping quite abit with regards to that.

Thats about it......pretty simple and cheap to make!!
Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer Empty
PostSubject: Re: My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer   skimmer - My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 8:44 am

And who said only a boer can make a plan.
Great idea.
Back to top Go down

My DIY Protein\ Leaf skimmer

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Koi Forum :: Filtration :: All your questions about filtration answered-