The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
SPOTS shape dealers baytril growth foam dropsy Dimilin show western pond plants clinofish Bead babies filter 2011 plant bubble face small electricity salt pumps cape food
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
is this filter any good for my setup? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
is this filter any good for my setup? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
is this filter any good for my setup? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
is this filter any good for my setup? EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
is this filter any good for my setup? EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
is this filter any good for my setup? EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
is this filter any good for my setup? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
is this filter any good for my setup? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
is this filter any good for my setup? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

is this filter any good for my setup?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cliff

Cliff

is this filter any good for my setup? Empty
PostSubject: is this filter any good for my setup?   is this filter any good for my setup? EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 8:21 pm

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3613&catID=79
This filter has basically fallen into my lap for practically nothing. My pond is about 7200lts and I have a pretty good submersible pump now that operates at 5000lt/hour.

Now the pond is directly outside my sons room, so I was going next week to buy a .45 speck pump , 2 bag sand filter with a 25lt ultra zap bio booster and a 15w UV. Now that was going to work out quite expensive, I was also looking at lifting my driveway to get the pump onto the other side so that the noise is not directly outside my sons room.....So as you can see this whole setup was going to work out quite expensive.

Now the filter in the link above does mechanical, bio as well as have a uv light attached. I can then have my bottom drain feeding to an external submersible (below water level) which is quiet and less of a hassle instead of having to do and spend all the above. My pond receives minimal sunlight, the one corner receives about 45 mins in the morning and another 45 mins in the afternoon and that is it......

So do you think this would be sifficient enough or do you think I'm wasting my time???

Just that this seems an easier setup and I still plan on installing a skimmer so dont expect to many solids to settle in the pond.

Please advise, thanks
Back to top Go down
cam0

PostSubject: Re: is this filter any good for my setup?   is this filter any good for my setup? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 7:52 am

You could always go for Speck Magic 6 (.25) with a 1 bag sand filter?
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: is this filter any good for my setup?   is this filter any good for my setup? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 8:05 am

I could, just that the costs compared are still no different compared to what I am paying here. Was also told the specks make a hum noise which I'm not sure will sound like directly outside their room.

Are these filters sufficient, says it supports a 13000lt pond and can do 4500lt/hr which shud be fine for my pond (+- 7000lts)

So would this be fine.....or are they a waste of money???
Back to top Go down
cam0

PostSubject: Re: is this filter any good for my setup?   is this filter any good for my setup? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 8:44 am

TBH I guess they work. But cleaning out sponges are a mission from the mechanical side..
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: is this filter any good for my setup?   is this filter any good for my setup? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 9:14 am

I think opening and turning sand in a sand filter is just as much a mission, this filter does have a backwash option so would only have to clean sponges every few months
Back to top Go down
cam0

PostSubject: Re: is this filter any good for my setup?   is this filter any good for my setup? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 9:19 am

Few months? Try every few weeks. That's what I had to to and in summer every week.

I didn't have the same equipment but it was similar.
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: is this filter any good for my setup?   is this filter any good for my setup? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 9:33 am

I'm not expecting a lot of solids in my pond therefore I said every few months
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: is this filter any good for my setup?   is this filter any good for my setup? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 9:41 am

Hi,

Quote :
I think opening and turning sand in a sand filter is just as much a mission, this filter does have a backwash option so would only have to clean sponges every few months

Wrong, all sand filters have a backwash feature, but still it should be turned by hand once or twice a month!
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: is this filter any good for my setup?   is this filter any good for my setup? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 9:58 am

Hi Pieter,

Wasn't saying that a sand filter does not have a back wash feature.....saying that either method has it's own "mission's" so whether cleaning out the sponges on this, as often as I would have to turn soil in a sand filter to me would be the same type of hassle.

This is over and above the backwashing which both have.

Pieter, do you have anything to add regarding these filters? I really like the fact that they can be buried out of site which leaves less "mess" in an around the pond........your view???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: is this filter any good for my setup?   is this filter any good for my setup? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 10:19 am

Cliff,

The filter mentioned in the "Link" is a bio filter and should work accordingly. I really don’t think it would be a good mechanical filter as sponges perish more rapidly then any other media used in filters.
I would still go with; a sand filter and Ultra Zap Bio filter and a ,75 kW pump (they are cheaper then a ,45 and 1,1 kW at the moment, pick one up for R 1090 at Water Plant in Roodepoort)

The stronger pump will allow you to place your filter and pump further away from the pond.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: is this filter any good for my setup?   is this filter any good for my setup? Empty

Back to top Go down

is this filter any good for my setup?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1