The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
cape electricity dealers small SPOTS plant salt Bead growth shape western 2011 pond Dimilin food pumps clinofish face plants show dropsy babies filter foam baytril bubble
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

clay pond for added filtration and nutrients

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ianage

clay pond for added filtration and nutrients Empty
PostSubject: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptySun May 03, 2009 3:22 pm

:idea:Hi there ,new to this site , need some insight from u pond experts,please . I have a two stage pond ,top one is 900 liters flows via waterfall into a 7000liter pond,pumped to two partitioned settlements full of lilies and taro,s through aerated bio balls and then upward flow through alfagrog{aerated}bio to waterfall and back into small pond,thinking of turning small pond into water garden/mud pond/spawning pond all in one using Montmorillonite clays as the mud for beneficial nutrients for the fish
question is, will i still get the water clarity in the 7000 liter pond ,please share your views
Back to top Go down
Jan

Jan

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyThu May 07, 2009 9:19 pm

I use the clay you talk about in my pond. When added the pond turns cloudy for some time (sometimes up to two days). Thereafter the clay seems to settle and the water clarity return.

When you refresh the clay the story repeats itself.

I believe you will experience the same.

From what I have learnt clay she is good. In my case the water feels smooth and soft.
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyFri May 08, 2009 1:46 am

I had similar problem with water clarity after using clay.

The more your pond/system mature the quicker the water returns back to its normal clarity. After a year my pond is clear in the morning when adding clay the previous night , before it took between 2 and 3 days and when you do a water change it starts all over again. My system is gravity fed, no pressure pumps or sandfilters, so you need patience.
Back to top Go down
Ianage

PostSubject: mud be good   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyFri May 08, 2009 9:43 am

thanx Jan and bobby ,nice to get feed back .no sand or pressure pumps by my system either,one submersible and air pump .am building a gravity filtration system ,trying to feed back to the pond without the need for a pump via my bottom drain got the some ideas, but need more the time ,very frustrating scratch
Back to top Go down
Jan

Jan

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyFri May 08, 2009 10:08 am

Hi Ianage

My pond is also gravity fed. Welcome to the small club of non-pressure-water keepers.

The circulation through my filters is driven by air only not water pumps. I attempted to describe the setup in my posting under Chat – Koi related; title My first visit to a Koi show and now I wonder.

If you have to use a pump consider putting it after your filter system.

Maybe that can help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyFri May 08, 2009 10:23 am

Hi,

Why do you use montmorillonite clay?
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyFri May 08, 2009 10:25 am

I am very happy with my gravity fed set-up. Small 1800lt Waterfall pump located after the filtering system, returning the water via a waterfall and 2 mid water returns to the Pond.
Back to top Go down
Ianage

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyFri May 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Pieter J de Villiers wrote:
Hi,

Why do you use montmorillonite clay?

like a koi pond multivitamin study
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptySat May 09, 2009 12:13 pm

Ok,

Only joking, I know what montmorillonite clay is. Laughing

Why adding the clay into the water?
It does not really clear the water and most are lost sitting in the filter system anyway, a waste and not very practical if you which the Koi to ingest it.
Rather, mix it with your Koi food to assure better results.
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptySat May 09, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi Pieter

Wayne and company believes that adding losts of clay before a show ensure good skin lustre!
I agree with adding it to the food.

LG
Sorry about the friendship part : I love you
Back to top Go down
Marius Bezuidenhout

Marius Bezuidenhout

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptySat May 09, 2009 12:58 pm

I tend to agree with Pieter and Bobby. Most of my clay ends up in filter as can be seen on photo

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptySat May 09, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi Marius
You can also use the clay extract that would reduce the filter clogging up a lot. I have seen keepers mix the clay with pond water, only add the extract (like weak tee) to the pond and re use the clay once more, it will clear the water very quickly and not clog the pipes too much, not sure how effective this method is?
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptySat May 09, 2009 1:17 pm

From a visual point of view, it does give the water a very nice shine and improves clarity, maybe the experts can comments should this method add value?
Back to top Go down
Ianage

PostSubject: clay in the pond   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptySun May 10, 2009 8:48 am

ok thanx for the in put,but dont think i made myself clear.the thing is a pond is artificial and the clay is natural ,if one can create a pond that has a natural and artificial combination= more balanced ecosystem. Idea creating a clay pond in the middle of the pond which is separated from the outer using rocks .the inner clay pond is only 5cm from the surface on the outer edges ,river rock protruding, allowing minimal flow through the inner clay pond between the gaps in the rocks .plants and lilies are then introduced in the clay pond
the clay pond will settle remaining clear ,because of no fish action.in which case one will benefit from the minerals being released naturally from the clay without clogging filters and clouding water
Back to top Go down
Chris Neaves

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyMon May 11, 2009 6:10 pm

Hi,
I use montmorillonite clay.

I have been considering lining one of my shallow intermediate ponds with this clay as an experiment. Will get around to it one day.

I use the clay in much higher dosages than recommended. It really clears the water. Most of the clay gets bound up in the algae. If you do not have a good algae growth the pond takes longer to clear. We should actually use it and then suction the floor and walls as the clay would have bound many of the suspended solids and settled them out of the water.

Should the clay build up in the filter leave it for a week or so. The passing water will come into contact with it. Then just flush it out.

Use montmorillonite clay after you medicate the pond for some reason. It will bind up residual medications and impurities out of the water. On recommendation from Dr. Neville Marais

If you are going to use it as a floor covering in some part of the pond it will work well. You will have to suction it off/out every year or so. They do the same in koi mud dams by replacing the floor and walls after a certain time. There will be a build up of anaerobic bacteria over time in this area.

There are some koi keepers overseas who bathe their koi in stong clay baths before shows to increase the lustre.

Chris
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:38 am

Chris,

Why going through all this, if you could achieve the same result regarding “luster” on Koi by adding it to the food?
I am using 10g-15g clay per 1kg.Koi food, and not that much clay to achieve the same results by adding it to the water.
I have found that by using it on my filter system, I am wasting clay and water as the clay “blocking” my sand filters very quickly.
Back to top Go down
Jan

Jan

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyTue May 12, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi

I find all these views very interesting. I also experienced the clay-in-filter-and-washed-by-bottom-drain phenomena and considered it a waste. But the benefit must still be present.

If we start at the beginning. Ianage is considering creating a mud pond for plants/spawning with this connected to his main pond. Using the clay in question for this pond can sure only be of benefit?

Jan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyTue May 12, 2009 3:03 pm

Back to top Go down
Jaco

Jaco

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyTue May 12, 2009 3:26 pm

??????????????????????????
Back to top Go down
cam0

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyTue May 12, 2009 3:34 pm

blank replies?
Back to top Go down
Jan

Jan

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyTue May 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Eish! My comprehension she is blank for baas Pieter!
Back to top Go down
sas

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyTue May 12, 2009 4:06 pm

Pieter J de Villiers wrote:

Something you don't understand and want to ask?
Back to top Go down
Jan

Jan

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyTue May 12, 2009 4:09 pm

Is that what the symbols mean?
Back to top Go down
sas

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyTue May 12, 2009 4:16 pm

Jan wrote:
Is that what the symbols mean?

Yes, the symbols can mean the followings:

1) Question
2) Unsure about something
3) Want to ask something
Back to top Go down
bobby

bobby

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients EmptyTue May 12, 2009 4:25 pm

Pieter's Question to the forum
How would the forum react seeing I am going to replace all my sand filters?
I have enough filters to open a retails store, so will the members support me?

LG affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: clay pond for added filtration and nutrients   clay pond for added filtration and nutrients Empty

Back to top Go down

clay pond for added filtration and nutrients

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next