[img:d5c4]https://2img.net/h/i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww131/ubhaga/IMG_0249.jpg" />
The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
show foam pumps salt Dimilin shape western food cape filter white 2011 babies bubble growth face baytril plant plants Bead skin SPOTS electricity dealers dropsy pond
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Somebody got a taste for blood EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Somebody got a taste for blood EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Somebody got a taste for blood EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Somebody got a taste for blood EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Somebody got a taste for blood EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Somebody got a taste for blood EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Somebody got a taste for blood EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Somebody got a taste for blood EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Somebody got a taste for blood EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Somebody got a taste for blood

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ubhaga

Somebody got a taste for blood Empty
PostSubject: Somebody got a taste for blood   Somebody got a taste for blood EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 10:35 am

[img]1Somebody got a taste for blood IMG_02492Somebody got a taste for blood IMG_0254

I think one of my fish has turned carnivorous in the pack. This is the 3 rd one found with some wounds(pictured in 1 &2). 1 was found yesterday afternoon and 1 this morning. There seems to be definite wounds on each. From the photo you can see the fins torn and still some blood in it.

Initially noticed the fish just flow with the current through the pond. The current would also swirl them around sometime in a 360degree loop.

Both were gasping for air as if they has ran marathons. Placed them in separate tanks where they eventually died after a few hours. Dont have a microscope yet, so cant do those tests. Not sure if this is a disease of some sort. Gut feel is that it is the 2 chagoi's (see black brown koi under what photos of good / bad i think) because the larger one was chasing the fish around the first time we put him in, rather aggressively.

Any opinions.
PS also have netting in place so i don't think it is anything external
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Somebody got a taste for blood   Somebody got a taste for blood EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 11:30 am

Hi,

Koi doesn’t attack each other! They are one of the most nonaggressive fish in nature.
Males do chase Females around before spawning.

I think that it is a bacterial disease. As bacterial infection like Aeromonas or Flavobacterium columnare (Columnaris) can cause fin rot, gill rot and mouth rot. Both could be responsible for ulcers.

These infections can wipe-out your total collection.

A close-up photo of the infected/dead Koi will be helpful.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Somebody got a taste for blood   Somebody got a taste for blood EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 1:33 pm

Koi usually dont eat each other except for when they are very little. affraid

I have noticed on my own koi last year when one of my koi had an ulcer that some of the other fish would come and suck on the wound of an injured one...not sure if this is what you where seeng.

I have notice that other fish like gold fish, swords and neons tend to chance a sick fish around...not sure if you get the same with koi.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
ubhaga

PostSubject: detailed pics   Somebody got a taste for blood EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 5:10 pm

Pieter, attached are a few closeups. The green in the pics is the Bao Bio Wound medicine.

1. [img]Somebody got a taste for blood IMG_02602Somebody got a taste for blood IMG_02613Somebody got a taste for blood IMG_02624Somebody got a taste for blood IMG_02635Somebody got a taste for blood IMG_0264-1

thnks in advance
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Somebody got a taste for blood   Somebody got a taste for blood EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 9:45 am

ubhaga,

This is definitely a bacterial infection and it could be a secondary infection to a parasite attack.

You should check the following.
pH
Ammonia
Nitrite and Nitrate readings.

What is the volume of your pond?
How many fish in the pond?
Average size of the fish?
Did you ad new fish recently?
Back to top Go down
ubhaga

PostSubject: Re: Somebody got a taste for blood   Somebody got a taste for blood EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 9:26 pm

ph 6.8-7
ammonia and others all low

pond size 12.500l

Fish about 110
100 of them are 5-8 cm
5 around 10-20cm and 5 around 30cm

Bought some from the koi show 2 weeks ago. Added them in already.

Thought that it may be a bacterial infection. I add on a weekly basis bio vital powder and do 10% water changes. Also no fish are showing any signs of stress or any other symptoms.

(need to get a good microscope)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Somebody got a taste for blood   Somebody got a taste for blood EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 10:31 am

WoW!

You are OVERSTOCK!
The volume of your pond could never handle that amount of fish (125 liters per fish!)
A safe calculation would be to keep only the ten big Koi (1250 liters per fish), if there should be a power failure, I bet you will lose all your Koi.
By adding “new” fish to the pond, without being quarantined ads to your problems.
If your water parameters are correct, I will be surprised, it is nearly impossible!
The readings should be as follow:
Dissolved oxygen > min. 7-8mg/l
Free Ammonia > max. 0,02mg/l
Nitrite > max. 0,2mg/l
Nitrate >max. 50mg/l

As things are standing now, you could lose more fish!
I would suggest that you do 20% water changes per day in the meantime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Somebody got a taste for blood   Somebody got a taste for blood Empty

Back to top Go down

Somebody got a taste for blood

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1