The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
baytril clinofish filter plants shape plant cape SPOTS small show Dimilin 2011 babies food dropsy face dealers pond foam western salt electricity bubble Bead pumps growth
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Unread posts ... what is up ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Colyn

Colyn

Unread posts ... what is up ? Empty
PostSubject: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 11:18 pm

Am I the only one that struggles with this ... the Board is ditching the UNREAD post flags very quickly Sad

I read one post and then all the flags are gone Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://forum.tripwired.co.za/index.php
bubbles

bubbles

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 7:12 am

Nope its not just you Colyn sometimes I see 4 or five unread post flags then I go and read one of them come back to look at the others and the flags are gone.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 8:22 am

The only way to get around this is to use tabbed browing. The newer browesers like IE 7 and Firefox supports this feature.

Load the forum page. The right click on each unread thread and select from the popup menu - open in new tab. Repeat this on each unread thread until a tab has been opened for each and then simply click on each tab to read the post - when done reading close the tabs until only the main forum page remains.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 10:09 am

It is a problem with the software and will enquire from the forum of forums for possible solutions.

I normally first check where there are unread flags and then I start to read one by one going on memory, but I have missed one or two on occasion and discovered it at a later stage.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 8:50 pm

Wayne I am using tabbed browsing.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 11:39 pm

As long as you don't close or refresh the main page from which you are launching the tabs you should not have problems but as soon as your main page refresh you will loose al the read indicators.

The are three main methods that developers use to calculate which posts was read and which was not read by the reader, this problem that you are experiencing is because they have not covered all the angels.

1. They can save a cookie (file) to your pc containing a read indicator for every thread from the forum but this is not practical as there a size limit on the cookie file and the size of the forum is unlimited, so sooner or later this will no longer work.

2. The second method captures the date and time of your last login, this is then stored in a cookie (file) to your pc. This would then enable them to show the new posts since your last login but when you are using autologin this becomes tricky as everytime you request a page the system will log you in thereby chang your last login date time...That is why unread posts are only visible until you have requested another page. The system has no way to know whether you are loged in or not...If you dont use Autologin the developers usualy place a time limit on how long your login will last...so they assume you are logged in although you might not be.

3. The third method is simular to 1 and 2 but instead of saving the files on the clients pc by means of cookies, the server stores it on its own resources either memmory or hard drive but due to the cost implications of the hardware with this most companies do not follow this method.

Remember that the server out on the internet has no idea on whether the client which is the web browser is still active or not. The Server only receives a request and then provides a page, it has no connection to your browser after serving the page...actually it is even worse..If you where to request lots of data and images and close your browser or click the cross sign after clicking the request link, the server will be processing and sending the information to your browser even if you are no longer looking at the site because it knows no better.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 6:41 am

The problem here is this ...

1. Arrive on Mainpage and see a number of new posts.
2. Read one post.
3. Return to main page and all indicators are gone.

This is a phpBB Board quirk and the user can do nothing about it.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 2:59 pm

I am seeing lots of errors today ...

Code:
Server Error
The following error occurred:

[code=CANT_CONNECT] Could not connect because of networking problems. Contact your system administrator.
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 10:55 am

The main logo on the top is now gone for me ... happened yesterday some time and I cannot get it to show again.

The crazy NEW POSTS thinghy is making it really hard to monitor the forum properly. Last night I stumbled onto posts that was done days ago and I never saw them. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Erwee1

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 1:58 pm

It is as easy as to look at the dates on the main page, see at what time and what date new postings were made and go to that page! Exclamation
Or am I missing something here?Question
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Erwee1 wrote:
It is as easy as to look at the dates on the main page, see at what time and what date new postings were made and go to that page! Exclamation

Thats the accountant way. Very efficient but time consuming lol!

Last edited by wayneb on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Erwee1

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 2:48 pm

wayneb wrote:
Thats the accountant way. lol!

Well, it works?! lol!
Back to top Go down
Colyn

Colyn

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 11:46 am

wayneb wrote:
Erwee1 wrote:

Thats the accountant way. Very efficient but time consuming lol!

And only good for ONE post in a sub-forum bounce
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyFri May 15, 2009 11:54 am

I believe the problem about flags at unread posts have been rectified?

Another handy way to see unread posts is to click on "Today's active posts" at the bottom of the Index page or "View posts since last visit" at the top of the Index page.

Alternatively you can access the two above options from any page by clicking on "actions" at the top and choose the option from the drop down list. I use this often.
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
cam0

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? EmptyFri May 15, 2009 12:51 pm

TAB TAB TAB BROWSING
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unread posts ... what is up ?   Unread posts ... what is up ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Unread posts ... what is up ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1