The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
Dimilin bubble shape salt growth baytril Bead foam electricity pumps small western SPOTS pond babies food face plants show cape clinofish filter dropsy dealers plant 2011
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Ulcers / Dropsy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy Empty
PostSubject: Ulcers / Dropsy   Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:11 am

E Mail received today:

Good Day,

I need help. Seems my koi's are sick, but not all of them. I think it might be fin rot, but not sure. I'm sending pics with, if you can help or point me or point me into a direction.

I did buy medicine from petshop for fin rot, I use salt in the water. Water is clean with plants in. Enough movement of water and air.

Thanx

Abri

Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy Dropsy

Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy Ulcer
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers / Dropsy   Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:32 am

Abri

The first Koi on your picture had a severe case of Aeromonas bacterial infection which resulted in lifting of the scales and indicates severe Dropsy, normally resulting in death due to kidney failure.

The other fish also suffered from the same bacteria indicated normally by the mouth that rotted away, also known as "hole disease" or "Ulcers"

The same bacteria also causes finrot, but you are far beyond the finrot stage.

It is normally caused by poor water conditions when Aeromonas takes over and causes internal bacterial infection.

You will have to get rid of the majority of this bacteria asap, or else you may loose all your fish.

Your best bet at this stage is to increase your salt level to 5kg / 1000 liters and proceed with aggressive potassium treatments every second day until you are able to maintain pink water for at least 6 hours. 0.45 g / 1000 liters. (At least four treatments, but possibly five)

Do 30% water changes after each treatment.

See dosages and treatment under the general disease/medication section of the forum.

If that does not help, you have to consider Baytril injections on the valuable fish, because you clearly have an advanced case of infection.
Back to top Go down
bubbles

bubbles

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers / Dropsy   Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:01 pm

I will have to agree with Paul concerning the Potassiam Treatments because potassium kills off everything.....
Back to top Go down
Abri

Abri

PostSubject: Potassium Permanganate   Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptySat May 24, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanx for the help.

Can I confirm 0.45 g or 45g Potassium.

Panorama Petshop could not help me with Potassium, but got it at the chemist.Hercules Potassium Permanganate BP - 25g holder.

Thanx
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers / Dropsy   Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptySat May 24, 2008 7:25 pm

Not sure what Paul would suggest but i usually use 3g per 1000L. Remember to also buy hydrogen peroxide at 20 ml per 1000 litres. Rather buy more hydrogen peroxide than what you need just incase you make your potassium to strong.

Try to maintain the treatment for at least 6-8 hours. Watch your fish for signs of severe stress. It is normal for them to look unhappy, breath a little fast and appear somewhat listless while under treatment. They should still react if you approach the pond. If they do not move when approuched, wave your had over them. If they still do not move, it means it is time to end the treatment.

IF you can't keep the water pink for 6-8 hours you can add another 1.5 grams of potassium per 1000 litres pond water.

When you decide to end the treatment, add Hydrogen Peroxide 20% at a rate of 20 ml per 1000 litres of pond water. The water will start to clear within about 10 minutes.

Dechlorinator or hydrogen peroxide in the water will inactivate the treatment (for 2 to 3 days).

REMEMBER!!! ALL UV LIGHTS TO BE TURNED OFF DURING ANY TREATMENT
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
Abri

Abri

PostSubject: Ulcers / Dropsy   Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptySat May 24, 2008 11:41 pm

Thanx Wayne.

I forgot about the UV light - thanks for info on that.

Where can I buy Hydrogen Peroxide?

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Abri

Abri

PostSubject: Ulcers / Dropsy   Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptySat May 24, 2008 11:43 pm

Maybe in general,

How does a thing like this starts and how to prevent it? I saw somewhere people talking about heating the water in the winter.

study
Back to top Go down
Eugen

Eugen

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers / Dropsy   Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptySun May 25, 2008 12:38 am

You Can Buy The Hydrogen Peroxide Allso From The Chemist
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers / Dropsy   Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptySun May 25, 2008 9:55 am

Quote :
Where can I buy Hydrogen Peroxide?

As Eugen said, from any chemist. Most Koi medications can be bought at a any checmist and mixed by one self, all you need is the list of ingredients and the quantities. And it works out way cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
Abri

Abri

PostSubject: Ulcers / Dropsy   Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptySun May 25, 2008 4:57 pm

Anyone have so advice on Algae Blocks?

A friend reccomended it - he is using it in his pond, water stays clean without any UV Light!

Thanx again to all the people with the help so far.

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers / Dropsy   Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptySun May 25, 2008 6:10 pm

Hi Abri

I meant to say 0.45 of a teaspoon which equals 2.65 grams. A standard teaspoon if flattened = 6 grams. (Basically the 3 grams/half a teaspoon suggested by Wayne) See my post on dosages of standard medication under general diseases. I am very sorry.

Thanks for rectifying this Wayne. My mind must have been somewhere else. Embarassed

Abri, I would not bother with algae blocks, especially after your Potassium treatment. It will sort out your algae and winter lies ahead.
Back to top Go down
Abri

Abri

PostSubject: Ulcers / Dropsy   Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptySun May 25, 2008 7:49 pm

OK,

Will do so.

I did my 1st treatment yesterday and maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but it looks like the wounds on the sick fish have a blue/purple colour as if the medicine sticked on it.

Will keep you posted.

Thanx

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers / Dropsy   Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy EmptyMon May 26, 2008 9:00 am

Further to your question what the cause might be, it is normally caused by poor water conditions, especially lack of oxygen or areas in the pond where there are no circulation, for instance behind plants. It is also caused by overstocking or an introduction of an infected fish.

Due to load shedding numerous ponds were infected, because the Aeromonas multiplies in the sand filters during the power cuts, and when the power goes on again, all those bad bacteria are being pumped into the pond, infecting the fish. That is why you should try to backwash your filters when the power goes on again, before it resumes with normal filtration.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers / Dropsy   Potassium - Ulcers / Dropsy Empty

Back to top Go down

Ulcers / Dropsy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1