The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
shape plants western show face foam food 2011 small SPOTS growth bubble Dimilin clinofish babies pond dropsy cape Bead electricity plant salt baytril filter dealers pumps
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mrbig

Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond Empty
PostSubject: Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond   Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 8:19 am

Hi there,
I hope some one can give me some ideas to clean out pond.
We have a 22,000liters pond, 2m in the shallow and 6mon the deep.
Its a new pond and have been up and going now for 8 months. There are 2 bottom drains in the pond n feeds the filters. Filters are made of 3 chanbers, chamber 1 is the settlement chamber with curlers n media to catch the debri, chamber 2 is full of oyster shells n chamber 3 is just a clean chamber with a submergerble pump in.
1. Certain areas of the pond have lots of buils up debri on the floor of the pond, which looks like algea n fish waste. How do i ensure that all this debri goes into the filters n not sit at the bottom? In the summer the build up is tremendous n clouds the water more on a sunny day.
2. When the pond was build many important thing were left out. How do i incorporate an efective surface skimmer to the pond now.
3. I have been thinking of putting gravel in the bottom of the pond floor to brighten the colour of the pond n to make it natural looking. Good idea or looking for trouble?
Looking forward to some constructive feedback.
Cheers
Jo
Back to top Go down
Cliff

Cliff

PostSubject: Re: Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond   Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 8:42 am

Hi Mr Big

Firstly, is it possible for you to post pics of your setup?

Then, how big is your pump, I suspect that if you have debris etc sitting at the bottom of your pond that you are perhaps not creating a current strong enough into your settlement chambers.

Another thing I would suggest you do is perhaps move the curlers etc into your 2nd chamber, your 2nd chamber should effectively be your bio chamber, as altho your shells would be assisting with this, it could do with the assitance of an alternative media controlling the bio activity........perhaps try and source brushes and place those instead into your first chamber.

How does your water also return to the pond? If you are finding your debris is settling in specific spot and does not direct toward the bottom drains then you would need to modify your returns to enable such movement within the pond or else add in airstones into these dead areas that this debris settles in to cause the movement you require.

Stones at the bottom I would just say is a bad idea, once you get your flows sorted out and you are turning your water over effectively and feeding the right food you will have water that allows you to see a anything and everything on the pond floor it will be that clear.

I really suspect that you pump may be incapable at the moment and that you are possibly not turning your water over enough and that you are sitting with way too many dead areas within your pond.

Where about are you situated and could you post pics? If you have an issue posting you can always email me and I will post theem for you.... cliff.fagan@gmail.com

One more thing, is if you say your pond is 6 meters deep, where the shallow end is 2m deep and it's only 22000 litres then I suspect this pond's surface area must be very small?
Back to top Go down
koigal50

koigal50

PostSubject: Re: Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond   Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:09 pm

I have a rectangular pond and in the four corners I get settlement. I use a pond vac for the corners. But I do not have gravel on the botton that would clog up my vaccum cleaner.

Have you been able to update your system?????
Back to top Go down
Eugene121

Eugene121

PostSubject: Re: Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond   Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond EmptyTue May 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi , Mr big
Is your floor sloped towards the bottom drain...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond   Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond Empty

Back to top Go down

Algae n debris sitting in the bottom of the pond

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1