The Koi Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koi Forum

The place where koi hobbyist's and dealers meet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
SPOTS babies western 2011 bubble salt food Dimilin dropsy shape face baytril plants dealers skin white foam show growth cape Bead pumps plant pond electricity filter
Latest topics
» New member, hallo everyone
Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am by avisagie

» Waterfall Quiet Air Pump LP-60
Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am by Ronnie

» Super Acto Flo Moving Bed Bio Media
Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 10:28 am by Ronnie

» Concerns about koi pond lining
Western Cape Koi Derby EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm by radley

» Nuwe dam
Western Cape Koi Derby EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 am by Bertus

» Help! What do o do with fry??
Western Cape Koi Derby EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 am by Zombolina

» A magical Japanese garden
Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyFri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 The vats part 2
Western Cape Koi Derby EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 12:52 pm by atb tv

» Nogyosai Nagaoka koi show 2018 the vats part 1
Western Cape Koi Derby EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am by atb tv

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Western Cape Koi Derby

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Western Cape Koi Derby Empty
PostSubject: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyWed May 14, 2008 4:18 pm

Sunday, 1 June 2008

Cape Garden Centre
Back to top Go down
http://www.koionline.co.za
sas

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyWed May 14, 2008 8:32 pm

Admin wrote:
Sunday, 1 June 2008

Cape Garden Centre

What is "Derby" mean??? Wink
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyThu May 15, 2008 12:30 pm

sas wrote:
Admin wrote:
Sunday, 1 June 2008

Cape Garden Centre

Hi Sass

A derby can be defined as a "contest open to all locals" and normally refers to horse events.

In this case, local members of the Koi Society will sell koi to fellow members, and it is a get together for members, and the term "derby" is probably not the best description.
Back to top Go down
sas

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyThu May 15, 2008 9:51 pm

Admin wrote:
sas wrote:
Admin wrote:
Sunday, 1 June 2008

Cape Garden Centre

Hi Sass

A derby can be defined as a "contest open to all locals" and normally refers to horse events.

In this case, local members of the Koi Society will sell koi to fellow members, and it is a get together for members, and the term "derby" is probably not the best description.

Ok, i see.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
sas

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyFri May 16, 2008 1:19 pm

Admin wrote:
sas wrote:
Admin wrote:
Sunday, 1 June 2008

Cape Garden Centre

Hi Sass

By the way, who will be selling koi?

And what time the event start and end?

SAS
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptySat May 17, 2008 10:41 pm

Quote :
the term "derby" is probably not the best description.

I'll say lol!

derby
noun
(derbi, es)
1. Any of several annual horseraces.
2. By extension, A formal race usually having an open field of contestants: a motorcycle derby
3. A bowler hat

Maybe someone will be wearing a cool bowler hat at the event. Idea geek
Back to top Go down
Http://www.KoiAdventures.co.za
verynewtokoi

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyFri May 23, 2008 11:05 am

Hi Paul,

What time will this event start & finish?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyFri May 23, 2008 11:15 am

8 am - 3 pm
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyFri May 23, 2008 11:35 am

Christy from cape koi and myself was acually talking the other day about organising a real koi derby...imagine a pond with seperate lanes...like dog racing, Just think how exciting this could be, something differnt....just havn't figured out how to make them race yet.

On a more serouse note, does anyone have an idea how many seller thers going to be? I have 2 or 3 koi that i would like to sell but i feel the pond rent rate is a bit high. I mean one would be trying to sell the koi that you no longer want....so their prices cant be that high because there would be something wrong with them to start with. So you wouild be selling the koi just to cover your rent of the pond...bit crazy. i guess this is more to attract the amateur breeder out there than the normal pond owner.

Having the venue at another dealers shop is just unfriendly (My personal opinion) but i assume that Cape Koi agreed to this in the hope to draw more people.
Back to top Go down
Eugen

Eugen

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyFri May 23, 2008 12:03 pm

What Does Koi Like Most FOOD Very Happy throw food at the finishline lol!
Back to top Go down
Phillip

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyFri May 23, 2008 12:56 pm

To be honest, I don't think the derby is a good idea.

It is already risky to buy from an individual, because they often sell fish when they encounter health problems.

These fish will be transported to Joostenberg Vlakte, faced with a new environment for a few hours, new water parameters and will be totally stressed by the time it lands in your own pond or your own quarantine facility after the day's ordeal.

The fish for sale will probably be all the "unwanted" fish and I won't even be able to see under what conditions the fish were raised.

The "boot sale" held a while ago, was not successful. Why will this one be?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyFri May 23, 2008 3:27 pm

I agree with you Phillip, that is not the way to buy or sell Koi. Especially with KHV present in the Cape Town area.

The Koi society should guard against the spread of KHV as far as possible. Not promote events that may possibly lead to the spread thereof.

At Koi shows they fortunately insist on KHV free certificates from dealers who sell Koi at the show, but unfortunately now initiate and promote selling fish privately without any control.

Is it now safer to buy from an individual than from a dealer?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyFri May 23, 2008 4:09 pm

Quote :
At Koi shows they fortunately insist on KHV free certificates from dealers who sell Koi at the show

Not anymore No Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyFri May 23, 2008 4:36 pm

At the Western Cape Chapter it was still the case last year. The rules for our 2008 show have not been finalized.

It would be a pitty if they discard the rule.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptySat May 24, 2008 11:45 am

Paul,

It did not apply at this year National Show held at Cresta last weekend!

I asked this on another forum:
Quote :
Regarding the Non SAKTA dealers present at this year National Koi Show:
Is SAKTA still operating as the watchdog?

An Answer from the Chairman of SAKTA:
Quote :
Hi Pieter
As of this year any Tom, Dick and Harry can sell koi at any SAKKS koi show. SAKKS made this policy decision apparently because they thought SAKTA was only a one man show. But boy where they wrong you could see it in the KOISA it is 4 pages thinner due to a business decision of some of the SAKTA members to poll their ads on the last page of the KOISA. They use to pay R3000-00 per member per month to have the same 700 or so SAKKS members read their ads now the only pay ± R300.00 per month for the same 700 or so SAKKS members to read the same ads.

Once again will the SAKTA like to caution the Koi Keepers of SA to be very careful where they buy their koi from.

Don’t shop around if you don’t know the dealer or breeder.

Only support dealers and breeders that you trust fully.

This was a ruling by the National Committee of SAKKS!
Back to top Go down
bubbles

bubbles

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 7:58 am

I was there but I couldnt find anything ??????
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 8:36 am

What do you mean, were there no Derby or nothing good to buy?

Last edited by Admin on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bubbles

bubbles

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 8:48 am

No Darby.

I went through at about 09:30

The shopkeeper at the koi place mentioned something about it being postponed but I still took a walk around the centre and in the parking area's to see if I couldnt find anything, maybe I missed it or it wasnt held can anyone pls confirm whether it was postponed or not.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 10:08 am

Hi Bubbles

I received the following mail this morning from Johan Jacobs, the Chairman of the Western Cape chapter of the Koi Society. It was send to members after 5 on Friday, but I only received it now.

The Cape Doctor has advised that due to adverse weather conditions it would not be wise to not continue with the planned Koi Derby this weekend at the Cape Garden Center. It also seems as if our Western Cape members are too much in awe of their collections to put them up for sale so we will be postponing the Koi Derby planned for Sunday 1 June until after the show.

I was at Port Owen, 100 kilos away for the weekend, and the weather was perfect there. ?

Sorry for the inconvenience, kill the messenger. Embarassed

Last edited by Admin on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
bubbles

bubbles

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 11:05 am

Dont stress about it these things do happen, and so I took the family to the Drakenstein Lion park instead Very Happy so all had a happy ending.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 12:47 pm

Pieter J de Villiers wrote:
Paul,

It did not apply at this year National Show held at Cresta last weekend!

This was a ruling by the National Committee of SAKKS!

The rules of the Western Cape Chapter for the 2008 show received today:

All dealers selling koi at the show must prove to the SAKKS that they are current members of SAKTA and have tested samples of the koi to be on sale at the show for KHV and such test have
been negative. Such KHV negative tests should not be older than 6 weeks prior to the show.
These documents are to be made available to SAKKS prior to the dealer having access to his
stand at the show.
All koi offered for sale by a dealer must have been quarantined at his facilities for at least 21 days
prior to the show.

It appears as if the individual chapters may disregard the rules of the National Committee of SAKKS?
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 3:42 pm

Im on the Koi show committee for the western cape...but havn't had a meeting yet, so we will have to see what the rules are but i can't see Johan Jacobs taking the KHV tests out.

Last year, any dealers could sell as longs as their fish was quarinitined 4 weeks prior to the show and as long as KHV test where done by the chapters representive.

Last edited by wayneb on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 3:59 pm

wayneb wrote:
so we will have to see what the rules are

Wayne, those are the official rules already laid down for 2008 which I have quoted above in Italics.

Johan confirmed to me today via E Mail that only members of SAKTA may have a dealer stand. I quote: "We have included the clause as it is standard at the other shows"
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 4:02 pm

Oops, Embarassed sorry Paul, i did not see that we where on page two of the forum already.
Back to top Go down
wayneb
Admin
wayneb

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 4:08 pm

Quote :
It appears as if the individual chapters may disregard the rules of the National Committee of SAKKS?

That is correct, the show rules are not part of the constitution and therefor every chapter can do as he likes.

SAKKS does not have any written rules or guidelines regarding koi shows. That is where last years accidents came in - NO mandatory benching or debenching rules and no water quality or safty rules...

Heres a extract from an email that i sent to Kevn Harrison after the whole 2007 koi show.

Quote :
I would like to recommend the following safeguards.

1. The creation of a separate national committee who is responsible to check the progress of the koi shows of all chapters.
2. Koi Show venue's must be finalized by beginning December and a draft covering the expected costs and requirements given to the suggested committee.
3. All the chairmen from the different chapters must meet at the end of January or February each year to give a cost estimate and progress report regarding their Koi Show to the suggested committee above. This gives enough time to stop a bad decision and to help the chapters.
4. I suggest the creation of document that covers "How to organize a Koi Show:" this document must cover all the requirements thats need to host a show. I would suggest making water quality benching rules and debenching rules part of the document to prevent what happened last year at the WCape.
5. Not sure if it is already part of the constitution: All the chairmen and vice chairmen must serve on the committee for at least 1 year before becoming electable as a chairman or vice chairman.

And the reply.

Quote :
Hi Wayne

As usual, thanks for your valuable contribution and account of what may have happened in the WC. You have made valid points and they will all be considered. Your suggestion about serving one year on the committee before being put into the chair was what I advocated at the Bosberaad held in Gauteng last year. Mike Harvey who was instrumental in setting up the constitution advised against this and gave many reasons for this. So the motion was not passed at executive and national level. My concerns are that it is possible in theory that a hostile takeover could take place, replacing whoever is on the committee at the time.

Perhaps speak to Mike if you want more details on his reasoning.

I trust that this Thursday will be fruitful in electing a WC committee.

Regards

Kevin
Dr Kevin Harrison
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Western Cape Koi Derby   Western Cape Koi Derby Empty

Back to top Go down

Western Cape Koi Derby

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next